Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:09 PM

43 posts, read 62,464 times

Advertisements

Has anyone built a modern / contemporary home in the Triangle? I'm curious what the process was like. Smooth sailing, a nightmare or somewhere in-between? I'm specifically interested in hearing about custom builds that involved an architect.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 02:31 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
this exact topic has been posted before, your search should yield some great info.

Otherwise ...

most subdivisions have some requirement on the size (and if a big one w/HOA) the style of exterior, or even an Architectural Committee to approve plans. Don't expect to go far outside the box.

We have a large number of qualified modern/contemporary home architects in the Triangle, and a large number of qualified custom builders to execute their plans.

it's near impossible to guesstimate the cost for you, since avant garde homes can include significant custom, expensive, and engineering marvel features.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:34 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Generally, it is not too bad. There was a nightmare you will probably read about where someone built one in a historic neighborhood and after the proper permits were recieved, one particular neighbor pushed and tied it up for a while. It was found in favor of the modern house though. Most places you could do a custom build on definitely larger lots would be OK with it, especially if it is custom and quality. Bo had good advice.

There are actually lots of modernist homes in the area going back to the original movement. I think something like the second or third largest number in the US.

Louis Cherry is the architect of the house I mentioned before (it's his own residence) so try him. Frank Harmon is also huge in these types of houses. also check NCModernist Houses and they can get you some info. http://www.ncmodernist.org

Old 07-11-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've read about the Louis Cherry house in Oakwood. That one probably falls into the nightmare category.

There's some great mid-century modern stuff in the Triangle. I have kids, so good public schools really limit the search. I've seen some nice older homes in Chapel Hill, but I'm curious about building new.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:43 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I think you have plenty of opportunity, and plenty of well-qualified modernist architects to consider.
An experienced architect will also know builders and contractors with whom they have had success.

After that, it is a matter of bringing the money.
Cash is cool. Financing makes it a bit more of a challenge. Doing homework on the lender and loan officer and their experience with construction loans is wise.

Being closer to mainstream simplifies.
I saw a contemporary recently that had only two bedrooms, and the master BR was separated from the common area by a 42" high partition. Don't know if you could get that plan financed easily.
Saw one yesterday that other than the front door, the alternate exits were only accessed through bedrooms. So, lock the bedroom door, and no egress from the rest of that level. It is truly a personal work of art, but odd for living, IMO.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 29,977 times
Hmm just lost my post. (so if this double posts, I'm sorry.)

We just (a week ago) relocated here from rural VT. We chose to build in a "neighborhood" because we couldn't find what we needed in the pre-existing homes for a reasonable price, but building new had what we needed. We're in the process of building (and currently crammed into an apartment, it's a tight fit. *sigh*) and I will say that we did our research on our builder. We looked up the builder on BBB and other complaint boards, basically anything we could find. Plus, we were able to see the model and poke around it and check things out as well as another in-process house so my husband could get a look at the "bones" of the houses. Good schools limit the area we could search in, so between that and our needs for the house, it narrowed things down quickly.

A development should be relatively easy for you to research, but if you go with land + builder purchase, you'll probably need to dig a little deeper and visit some examples of their work (and READ everything you sign. EVERYTHING. Find out all their policies, etc.)

Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
This article in the News & Observer may be of interest...highlights modernist homes under construction in east Raleigh.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 AM

256 posts, read 894,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWhisp View Post

We just (a week ago) relocated here from rural VT. We chose to build in a "neighborhood" because we couldn't find what we needed in the pre-existing homes for a reasonable price, but building new had what we needed. We're in the process of building (and currently crammed into an apartment, it's a tight fit. *sigh*) and I will say that we did our research on our builder. We looked up the builder on BBB and other complaint boards, basically anything we could find. Plus, we were able to see the model and poke around it and check things out as well as another in-process house so my husband could get a look at the "bones" of the houses. Good schools limit the area we could search in, so between that and our needs for the house, it narrowed things down quickly.

A development should be relatively easy for you to research, but if you go with land + builder purchase, you'll probably need to dig a little deeper and visit some examples of their work (and READ everything you sign. EVERYTHING. Find out all their policies, etc.)

Curious on what builder you went with?

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWhisp View Post

It would be great if you don't mind sharing. I'm curious which town you decided to build in. Schools are a limiting factor for us as well. From what I've seen, Chapel Hill, Apex or maybe NW Raleigh are probably the only areas with highly-rated schools that have unrestricted land to build on. Cary has a fair share of good schools, but everything in those neighborhoods seems to be in an HOA.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,186 times
I live in a modern house near Wade ave in Raleigh. As others have said, check out Triangle Modernist Houses for info about houses for sale, local modern architects and builders that are experienced in modern design and finishes. I will tell you, having remodeled my modern house twice, that both an architect and a builder that are very experience with modern houses is a good idea. PM me if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary