Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 PM

5,147 posts, read 3,758,340 times

Advertisements

I got a few of these on my televisions and am having problems getting my sets to display anything other than letterbox format unless I change my picture size within my set to zoom. This is not acceptable. I previously had all these sets hooked up via the set top boxes but got tired of paying 15 bucks a month for them. I have no problem on the one set I still have hooked up to my remaining set top box.

These sets displayed properly when I had them hooked up to set top boxes. I have gone into the menu in the digital adapters to try to change the display but it does nothing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM

41 posts, read 58,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I got a few of these on my televisions and am having problems getting my sets to display anything other than letterbox format unless I change my picture size within my set to zoom. This is not acceptable. I previously had all these sets hooked up via the set top boxes but got tired of paying 15 bucks a month for them. I have no problem on the one set I still have hooked up to my remaining set top box.

These sets displayed properly when I had them hooked up to set top boxes. I have gone into the menu in the digital adapters to try to change the display but it does nothing. Any ideas?
From their web site:

Why does the picture not fill my screen after I installed my Digital Adapter?:

The Digital Adapter supports a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 for high definition (HD) TVs when viewing HD channels, provided that you connect the Digital Adapter to your HDTV via the HDMI interface/cable. If you are viewing standard definition (SD) channels on your HDTV, or if you connect your HDTV to the Digital Adapter using the TV Out interface and a coaxial cable, then it will support a screen aspect ratio of 4:3 only. The 4:3 aspect ratio means that the picture is formatted for standard definition programming, and not high-definition (HD) or widescreen programs. The result is that the programming will not fill the entire screen of a widescreen television.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRaleigh View Post
From their web site:

Why does the picture not fill my screen after I installed my Digital Adapter?:

The Digital Adapter supports a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 for high definition (HD) TVs when viewing HD channels, provided that you connect the Digital Adapter to your HDTV via the HDMI interface/cable. If you are viewing standard definition (SD) channels on your HDTV, or if you connect your HDTV to the Digital Adapter using the TV Out interface and a coaxial cable, then it will support a screen aspect ratio of 4:3 only. The 4:3 aspect ratio means that the picture is formatted for standard definition programming, and not high-definition (HD) or widescreen programs. The result is that the programming will not fill the entire screen of a widescreen television.
This was the solution. My wife had both the coaxial and the HDMI cable connected from the adapter to the TV resulting in letterbox always. I disconnected the coaxial leaving just the HDMI connected and problem solved. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
Or, forget the weak adapters and get a Roku stick if you have decent wi-fi in the house. TV can be anywhere and not near a cable jack. You also get more channels, a guide, and on-demand, all in the Roku TWC app. You still need to have a TWC account for cable TV.
Refurbs are about $25-30 delivered.

Plugs into the HDMI port. Has its own wall wart or you can power it from a USB jack on the TV.

Search for "Roku" to see my other posts on same.

Roku also has Watch ESPN and other apps.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Or, forget the weak adapters and get a Roku stick if you have decent wi-fi in the house. TV can be anywhere and not near a cable jack. You also get more channels, a guide, and on-demand, all in the Roku TWC app. You still need to have a TWC account for cable TV.

Plugs into the HDMI port. Has its own wall wart or you can power it from a USB jack on the TV.

I'll consider that when I get wifi after the Holidays. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

Interesting, so instead of using the TWC set-top box, I can use roku is what you are saying?

So can I use this for a second TV without an STB? or return the STB altogether and save that fee

Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Yes, you still need a TWC TV subscription. Roku saves you renting a cable box and allows you to put TV in residence anywhere that your wi-fi can reach, away from a cable jack!

TWC TV app turns Roku into a cable box for Time Warner customers (hands-on) - CNET

No DVR needed, since you can use TWC Roku app's on-demand feature.

For example, on Game Show Network (GSN) I can get the six recent episodes of Jerry's Springer's "Baggage."

Old 11-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Update:

Roku 3 is quite reliable and faster than the previous models.
Voice search and headphone jack on the remote are nice touches.
Roku 3 is ethernet and wifi enabled. I use a cheapo power line adapter to feed it via Internet. Too tired of my microwave messing up re-runs of Cheaters, etc.

TWC likes Roku, too per:

Time Warner Cable Trialling Roku in Place of Cable Boxes*From $10 Per Month

Time Warner Cable tests replacing your cable box with a Roku | The Verge

I've gotten very good support from TWC via twitter, whenever the streaming via the Roku TWC app has a glitch.
Typical symptom is all other apps run fine on Roku with exception of TWC giving a 701 error, etc.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Same here, tired of the crappy DTAs and sure won't pay for them next summer. Replacing them with refurbed Roku 3 boxes for about $50 ea. The TWC app streams pretty well on the Roku for "live" and "on demand" channels - if the TWC app supported DVR playback, instead of just DVR control, it would be really nice.
Available Netflix, Amazon and other streaming capabilities are a nice added bonus for the Roku. I can't imagine folks keeping the DTAs once TWC starts charging.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary