Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 PM

11 posts, read 9,424 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been searching on here for answers to this but haven't found quite what we're looking for. My fiance (who grew up Catholic) and I (who grew up Methodist) are looking for a new church in the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area. He loved his Catholic church and I loved the contemporary service at my Methodist church, but we want to find a church together, that we both love.

Looking for:
-Nothing "ra-ra" (his words haha). I think that means not too "out there" so likely none of the mega churches or non-denominational churches
-Preferably a more contemporary service but not SUPER contemporary (my church had a great band but no fog machines or crazy light shows)
-Active young adult/young couples groups (we are early/mid-30s)
-Great children's/youth groups (for the future )
-Active in the community (serve at homeless shelters, Habitat, missions trips, etc)
-Relatable pastors
-Would love to have small groups
-Welcoming congregation

Any ideas? I've been Googling up a storm but would love to hear from others!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 03:01 PM

386 posts, read 605,801 times
I've attended both Crossroads Fellowship and Lifepointe Church and I would recommend either of them.

-They're non-denominational but they're beliefs are definitely not out there when it comes to core beliefs of the Christian faith. (if you could expand on what you mean by that, I might be able to explain better or rule something out!)
-They're both contemporary. No fog machines, there are lights but it's not crazy, just for the stage and mood of the song.
-I'm in a great young adults ministry at Crossroads (I can give you some info if you would like!). They have both a singles and couples ministry. The young adults pastor Daniel at Crossroads is great and is awesome at getting people connected to the church through small groups and other events. I can give you his info if you would like! Lifepointe unfortunately does not have a young adult/couples ministry - there is a young adults group that does fun events once a month but mostly just small groups.
-I think this is an area that both churches can expand on (I think a lot of churches suffer in this category) but I would say overall the churches are fairly active in the community. If you're looking for a place to serve, you can find it either through the church or with an organization connected with the church.
-Both pastors are very relatable. I go to Lifepointe most Sundays because of that (Crossroads is alright too). The sermons are always practical and challenging.
-People are very friendly at both. I moved here in September and it wasn't hard to meet people at either churches. If you're willing to put yourself out there and go to events/join a small group, it's not hard to wind up with a group of friends!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
Give North Raleigh UMC | North Raleigh United Methodist Church offers many service times for worship. a visit. The Minister of Music is a friend of mine, and he's amazing! If I didn't live on the other side of the county, that's where I'd be going!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,279 times
St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. 5:30 Sunday is the teen Mass and has probably the most contemporary music of all the Masses.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:28 AM

Thank you guys! I think the fiance is pretty opposed to non-denominational (and I haven't had the best experiences with them in the past) BUT I will pose them as potentials. All that info on both of them is awesome. Thank you!!!

North Raleigh UMC is one I keep coming across, so I think we'll try that on Sunday. I'm glad to hear a vote for them

St. Francis is my fiance's church that he loves. If we go Catholic we'll definitely go there. I'm just not crazy about Catholicism in general. That said, we are both (trying to be) open to each other's preferences so we'll certainly go there a few more times.

It'd be interesting to hear from any Catholics who attend Protestant churches and like them.

Thank you guys for the info

Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srroman View Post
St. Francis is my fiance's church that he loves. If we go Catholic we'll definitely go there. I'm just not crazy about Catholicism in general. That said, we are both (trying to be) open to each other's preferences so we'll certainly go there a few more times.
I also grew up Methodist, and St. Francis was my fiance's church 25 years ago. I ended up liking it enough that it is now my church. Give it a try, and it may (or may not) work for you. It did for me.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Oh cool! I've actually been with him and liked it ok, as far as Catholic churches go. I'm just not crazy about the idea of becoming Catholic BUT like I said, I'm trying to be open to the idea Thanks for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary