Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times

Advertisements

I'm in Chapel Hill, not Durham, but I don't think gated apartments are the norm here. There are some to be sure, but I believe most quite nice apartment complexes are not gated. If that's important to you, you may have to pay a little extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 AM

678 posts, read 737,313 times
South Durham/RTP is not that bad, but you'll probably be paying more than $700 now for 1br's. Maybe you could find a studio for that price or cheaper.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 19,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
You will be fine, crime happens every where, a lot of people around here shelter themselves and act like Durham is south side Chicago(people have no problem visiting Chicago despite the number of murders a year is higher then all of NC put together, that said it's one of the most visited cities in America) or 1993 Compton.

In cities all over the world, avoiding crime boils down to not living where it is happening(if you have the choice). I know I never feel unsafe in Durham, people be out all types of night, I never met anybody who lives in Durham that felt unsafe, all the people that tell me they don't think it's safe, haven't been there in years. On this thread(Triangle) you will read the dumbest posts ever, things like, I was born in raised in Raleigh, but I wonder what Durham is like(???take the damn 15 minute drive and find out(I'm not making this up)).

Just go down there if you are in the area, or when ever you get a chance and get a feel of the area your self. Rent is going up every where, you can find a place that is 700 but not 500, lots of people are moving here, and a lot of people are renting which means apartments are hiking prices up but you should find something in nice area.
Awww thanks so much, you're awesome! I will defo take your advice. I know people tend to exaggerate sometimes (like hearing what sounds like a gunshot and complain on the online reviews saying there are shootings all the time).

Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm in Chapel Hill, not Durham, but I don't think gated apartments are the norm here. There are some to be sure, but I believe most quite nice apartment complexes are not gated. If that's important to you, you may have to pay a little extra.
It's not important if it's not a huge concern. I read that for places like Clairmont at Hillandale (advertised as gated) leave their gates open all night!!! Thanks so much!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:04 AM

644 posts, read 841,575 times
OP - I have not lived in the area that you are interested in, but most of my friends in the area lived around there. From what I know - the apartments that are "gated" and more "exclusive" don't necessarily offer more security than something else in the neighborhood that lacks these facilities. For instance, Belmont apartments also get frequently broken into. But, overall Durham is no less safe than most college towns. Play smart and you'll be alright.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM

530 posts, read 637,157 times
Durham has crime like anywhere else, but honestly it is fine.

You say you want to live near walking distance of West Campus. I understand the appeal, but personally I'd advise against it. I think it is better to live near 9th street or near East Campus and bus in (Duke has buses that serve both locations). They are closer to better areas of Durham.

If you want to live near West Campus there is Poplar West you mentioned that yes, I've heard good things about. I'd also strongly recommend another trinity properties complex of Governor which is a great complex near East. There is also the Erwin Building apartments near East. All of these places are good, safe apartment complexes where one bedrooms are affordable (under 1k). You can also get a studio apartment at 605 West or the new Berkshire apartments which are very safe and have quick, easy busy service to campus at 1k. Station 9 is a nicely reviewed complex that will probably run you around 1100 for a one bedroom.

To go back to West Campus, other appealing options there (such as Trinity Commons) are going to be very expensive. The Belmont as has been mentioned here is another good option for what you say you want (but yes, there will be tons of undergrads). If you go further into Duke Forest as some have mentioned you can find good options, but that becomes farther than walking distance so at that point I'd recommend living in a more desirable part of Durham.

Be sure to look what is available on DukeList if you aren't already using that site. It's unfortunate you are starting the hunt now, as you can imagine a lot of people move to Durham in August so places get picked over.

Last edited by Atony; 07-16-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Durham has crime like anywhere else, but honestly it is fine.

You say you want to live near walking distance of West Campus. I understand the appeal, but personally I'd advise against it. I think it is better to live near 9th street or near East Campus and bus in (Duke has buses that serve both locations). They are closer to better areas of Durham.

If you want to live near West Campus there is Poplar West I would recommend. I'd also strongly recommend another trinity properties complex of Governor which is a great complex near East. There is also the Erwin Building apartments near East. All of these places are good, safe apartment complexes where one bedrooms are affordable (under 1k). You can also get a studio apartment at 605 West or the new Berkshire apartments which are very safe and have quick, easy busy service to campus at 1k.

To go back to West Campus, other appealing options there (such as Trinity Commons) are going to be very expensive. The Belmont as has been mentioned here is another good option for what you say you want (but yes, there will be tons of undergrads). If you go further into Duke Forest as some have mentioned you can find good options, but that becomes farther than walking distance so at that point I'd recommend living in a more desirable part of Durham.
I contacted Poplar West but they don't have any vacancies at the mo. Do you know anything about "Bradford Ridge"? It's right next to Poplar West I think and their $700/ month for a 1Br/1Ba covers everthing except electricity and Internet but I can't find much about reviews online about the place. Duke apartment reports also rate it higher than Poplar West.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM

530 posts, read 637,157 times
Quote:
I contacted Poplar West but they don't have any vacancies at the mo. Do you know anything about "Bradford Ridge"? It's right next to Poplar West I think and their $700/ month for a 1Br/1Ba covers everthing except electricity and Internet but I can't find much about reviews online about the place. Duke apartment reports also rate it higher than Poplar West.
Unfortunately I don't happen to know anyone who lived at Bradford so I can't tell you anything other than what you would find online. I did a quick check on DukeList and found this https://dukelist.duke.edu/posting/show/58362 option which looks promising.

There is also a couple 1br options at University Commons, I have a friend who lives there and likes it.

Good luck in your hunt.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,493,713 times
If your rent budget is only $500 you're not going to be in a safe area anywhere in Durham, or Raleigh, or Cary, or Chapel Hill. You might be able to find a 1br/1ba $495 apartment but it will be in the absolute hood.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
If your rent budget is only $500 you're not going to be in a safe area anywhere in Durham, or Raleigh, or Cary, or Chapel Hill. You might be able to find a 1br/1ba $495 apartment but it will be in the absolute hood.
The hood in Cary you might catch a drive by capri sun throwing, there is a place that is 500, but that mess is basically a closet 175sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary