Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 AM

714 posts, read 721,165 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new smartphone. I am here in NJ currently on Verizon, planning to move to NC next spring. My sister, who is in Chapel Hill, uses AT&T.

I don't want to spend $700 on a new phone (I want to keep my unlimited data plan) with Verizon and then find that Verizon doesn't have good coverage in the Triangle and have to switch to AT&T when I move. From what I've read, unlocked phones can't switch between AT&T and Verizon.

Which has better coverage in the Triangle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Verizon is generally recognized as having better coverage.
But the difference between the two is not huge.
I have been on ATT for a couple of years, and don't have issues.

Moving from Sprint, ATT was more agreeable to me, and less expensive than Verizon.
In your situation, though, I would probably stay with Verizon. You won't find better coverage.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Coverage Locator

Old 07-20-2015, 04:59 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
AT&T Maps - Wireless Coverage Map for Voice and Data Coverage from AT&T

So the difference is not huge. No hassle of changing carriers probably means sticking with Verizon.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:45 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
AT&T Maps - Wireless Coverage Map for Voice and Data Coverage from AT&T

So the difference is not huge. No hassle of changing carriers probably means sticking with Verizon.
Agreed. Stick with Verizon.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
IME around town coverage is about equal (both fine pretty much everywhere). If you spend any time in the less populated areas down east, Verizon crushes AT&T though. The downside is they are pretty proud of their coverage. Every time I run a comparison I could save a few dollars with other carriers. But only a few dollars and I do spend some time in areas where I get coverage and others don't.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
I recently signed up for Total Wireless. It uses Verizon's network and I get unlimited talk and text, and 2.5 gigs of data for $35 a month.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:02 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Both providers have sufficient coverage around the Triangle. What it will come down to though is the coverage in your own home, wherever you finally settle (especially if you use your mobile as your primary phone). I had AT&T and was pretty happy with the coverage. I had an opportunity to switch to Verizon to be on a friends and family account (at a significant savings), and everyone told me how great the coverage is. And yeah, it seems to be great coverage ... except for in my house. I was constantly dropping calls. I had to spend $200+ on a range extender.

So basically, either provider is fine in the Triangle, but you may move here and find that you need to switch anyway because of your specific location. There isn't really any way to plan for that, so I would suggest sticking with Verizon for now, and crossing that particular bridge once you get here.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:39 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Both providers have sufficient coverage around the Triangle. What it will come down to though is the coverage in your own home, wherever you finally settle (especially if you use your mobile as your primary phone). I had AT&T and was pretty happy with the coverage. I had an opportunity to switch to Verizon to be on a friends and family account (at a significant savings), and everyone told me how great the coverage is. And yeah, it seems to be great coverage ... except for in my house. I was constantly dropping calls. I had to spend $200+ on a range extender.

So basically, either provider is fine in the Triangle, but you may move here and find that you need to switch anyway because of your specific location. There isn't really any way to plan for that, so I would suggest sticking with Verizon for now, and crossing that particular bridge once you get here.
+1 on the MUST need to verify the LOCAL coverage where you will need it the most.
Beg, borrow, load a phone from the service you are considering and check the signal and make a few calls from your Home, and from your Work locations.

The coverage maps are NOT based on block-by-block measurements by calibrated and independent FCC trucks. They are generalized shapes based on simple math and simpler guesses. (Being sarcastic here, but I've been surprised by some who think the maps are precise).

I know two different people who had AT&T and ended up having to change providers as they lived in local 'shadows' where their home signal wasn't strong enough for calls, and they didn't want to spend the extra $$$ (several hundred dollars), for a signal booster.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
T-Mobile. Granted my concern was purely data and not coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary