Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times

Advertisements

Since whatever promotion ended few months ago, I am paying $115 for standard internet) + HD preferred cable (no dvr and I use my own modem). I used to pay about $85.

What are my options? I tried call them but some rep offered me $100. Should I visit the store?

1. If I cancel cable and only keep internet, will they give me specials on internet alone? I am leaning towards OTA via antenna & sling tv.

2. Services are in my wife's name. How about I cancel totally, return the cable box. But then can I immediately sign up new services in my name? and do self install?

Last edited by gcretro; 07-25-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:42 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,767,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Since whatever promotion ended few months ago, I am paying $115 for standard internet) + HD preferred cable (no dvr and I use my own modem). I used to pay about $85.

What are my options? I tried call them but some lousy rep offered me $100. Should I visit the store?

1. If I cancel cable and only keep internet, will they give me specials on internet alone? I am leaning towards OTA via antenna & sling tv.

2. Services are in my wife's name. How about I cancel totally, return the cable box. But then can I immediately sign up new services in my name? and do self install?
My TV promo ended. I was paying $90 for internet unlimited LD landline phone and TV. Set top box and modem rental. My set top box was included in the 40 buck TV promo.

I am currently paying $112 for the same package but I pay 7 bucks for the set top box and the TV package went up to 50 bucks. I still think $112 is reasonable for the Triple Play. No HBO or Cinemax. I pay $128 for a similar package in NJ for Optimum.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
I just cancelled my TWC cable service (had cheap starter cable at $26/ month) but kept their Internet service. They tried to offer me a deal on cable but never offered any deal on the Internet since I wasn't trying to cancel that.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 PM

43 posts, read 53,878 times
Spouse just arrived in North Carolina yesterday and had an appointment with TWC for installation today. He called this morning to confirm and they claimed no appointment. He was frustrated, but made another appointment for tomorrow and called back a while later to confirm. Again, they claimed no appointment. Their representatives outright lie. Have never had a customer service experience like this before and this is our first experience in the state. Now they claim they can't install for over a week. Is this typical?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,059 times
^Service as you describe is typical now with TWC. I don't know what has happened over the past year but TWC's customer service is absolutely out of control.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM

197 posts, read 208,526 times
Default Negotiate!

Hi gcretro,

I was in very similar situation in May. My promotional rate was $89.99 (TV+internet, no phone) before and received a letter that my new rate will be $159. I really didn't watch TV anyway, so I called to cancel the TV portion of it. I think I talked to 3 or 4 people total. I was adamant that I do need internet but I don't really need TV so just wanted to cancel the TV. Starting with $10 off (no way!), they offered various discounts, but all above $100 total. I kept saying no thank you, then the last person I talked asked me what was acceptable and I said I'd like the the exact same package with exact price. She had me on hold for a while and said "ok, I talked my manager and I was able to get you the same price". It actually ended up with~50 cents cheaper than before. Let me tell you it was a loong process and I was exhausted talking all those people but at the end I was satisfied. I was able to watch womens' World Cup I'm curious what would have happened if I said "well, I'd like everything for $50". I'll try that next year So, if you have a patience, call and negotiate! I wouldn't recommend going to the office. I went to the office once for a billing issue and after ~1hr wait, I was just given a phone number to call

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times
Hmm ok thanks. I'll try again.

I am at the point of giving up cable. But then wonder why my standard 15mbps internet price alone would become.

(Std 15mbps internet for new customers is listed as 34.99 for 12 mo. Anyone what it is after?)

Last edited by gcretro; 07-25-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Stick to your guns......they'll get you the same price. Don't let them think you are naive and don't give in.

I used to share an apartment with a buddy of mine from college who was a good ole' boy from rural Locust, NC; he was a great dude but a complete pushover when it came to dealing with TWC and far too polite. The account was in his name but after they tried to raise our bill from $79 to $130 for basic, basic, basic cable and medium grade internet I took over the phone conversations from there and wasn't quite as polite. $85 for the same basic cable and faster internet after I was on the phone with them for 30 minutes. Thanked them politely and kept that same rate for the year and a half we roomed together after that.

Growing up in Cary/Apex...the yankee transplants must have influenced me more than I thought.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
To get the best deal you have to say you are going to cancel, then when you get to retention, tell them you're switching to AT&T or Verizon FIOS solely because of price. They will try to ask you question to see if they can lower your plan (well I understand budget issues, do you need HBO? Etc). Have to stick to your guns and say I need everything I have now, no exceptions, will get that w Verizon, etc. They say well our service is certified blah blah, theirs isn't....don't care, only care about price. Then finally they do what you want.

How it works w these garbage cable companies, unfortunately.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:11 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Hmm ok thanks. I'll try again.

I am at the point of giving up cable. But then wonder why my standard 15mbps internet price alone would become.

(Std 15mbps internet for new customers is listed as 34.99 for 12 mo. Anyone what it is after?)
$39.99. If pushed, they will discount it to $34.99. No further discounting in our area. TWC knows that we have no adequate alternative services for internet. (We dumped them shortly after moving into our home in Jan 2013 for TV and phone, switching to DirecTV and Ooma. Very happy with the current arrangement. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary