Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:12 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,391,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Is that Chatham Park you’re seeing at Jordan Lake? If so, not sure that would have that much to do with Raleigh there. I think the idea is for a work/live development although I’m sure a lot of folks will work in RTP too. Can’t see living there and working in Raleigh.

Chatham County had some very pro-development county commissioners about 10 years ago. Localities like Chapel Hill and Carrboro and Orange County have stricter development regulations so the rural buffer there is better preserved but there is a ton of infill development going on in Chapel Hill, especially downtown with the redevelopment of University Square and the new hotel on Rosemary St. There is a lot of development south of Chapel Hill over the county line in Chatham County but not nearly as much north of a Chapel Hill.
I was always wondering why Chapel Hill aint sprawling all over the place. Good planning on there part, how is traffic in Chapel Hill compared to say Apex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 12:19 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I was always wondering why Chapel Hill aint sprawling all over the place. Good planning on there part, how is traffic in Chapel Hill compared to say Apex?
The condos in Chapel Hill are mostly investments for rich student parents they are hardly affordable nor suited to families
Chapel Hill is notoriously anti growth while Durham and wake seem to have few resrictions if you’ve ever rented around carrboro you’ll quickly notice most of the stock is from the 80s

Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
The condos in Chapel Hill are mostly investments for rich student parents they are hardly affordable nor suited to families
Chapel Hill is notoriously anti growth while Durham and wake seem to have few resrictions if you’ve ever rented around carrboro you’ll quickly notice most of the stock is from the 80s
Interesting, i dont blame Chapel Hill. They are certainly growing though much more sustainably and slow. Is Chatham Park a set in stone project? Fact is thousands of acres of woodland are threatened by this development. The affects on Jordan Lake may not be so pleasant with increased soil erosion and runoff. Im truly interested in which direction the Raleigh suburbs will grow, will it continue west, or will it shift east? West is nothing but pristine woodland and east is farmland. Either way its a loss of ecosystems. I always thought Jordan Lake was a buffer for western growth, i guess im wrong. The eastern part of the county has zero buffers.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 PM

173 posts, read 192,626 times
Default It will spread along the interstates and US70...

I suspect it will spread east past Goldsboro, to pick up the i95 traffic... i85 is sort of blocked by the "lakes district". I suspect it will be solid north up 95 until it bumps into Richmond's overflow headed south.

West? the Triad, though that will take a bit longer. i40 is too "big" a highway not to attract "settlers". I haven't really looked south yet, but I suspect i85 will fill in between the Triad and Charlotte too.

I didn't think South West Connecticut or Northern Westchester County in NY would fill in either... wrong.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
I suspect it will spread east past Goldsboro, to pick up the i95 traffic... i85 is sort of blocked by the "lakes district". I suspect it will be solid north up 95 until it bumps into Richmond's overflow headed south.

West? the Triad, though that will take a bit longer. i40 is too "big" a highway not to attract "settlers". I haven't really looked south yet, but I suspect i85 will fill in between the Triad and Charlotte too.

I didn't think South West Connecticut or Northern Westchester County in NY would fill in either... wrong.
The growth rate doesnt support it heading that far. States growth rate has slowed since peaking in the 2000s. NC is ****ed, will it go the way of Jersey, did suburuban sprawl eventually drive their property taxes nuts? High property taxes and no true rural areas ( to be fair to jersey its a small state, hard to be far away from anywhere, not saying there arent country areas but they are sorrounded by suburbs). Admittedly they do have the pine barrens though, which are protected forests. We need to learn from the mistakes of other states.

Its so dang hard to satisfy everyone, satisfy the environment, satisfy homeowners, provide affordable housing and continue growing.

I think this state needs more environmental activism... seems no one cares that we are losing pristine farmland and forests...or maybe not many are aware.

Last edited by muslim12; 10-22-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 PM

127 posts, read 134,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Interesting, i dont blame Chapel Hill. They are certainly growing though much more sustainably and slow. Is Chatham Park a set in stone project? Fact is thousands of acres of woodland are threatened by this development. The affects on Jordan Lake may not be so pleasant with increased soil erosion and runoff. Im truly interested in which direction the Raleigh suburbs will grow, will it continue west, or will it shift east? West is nothing but pristine woodland and east is farmland. Either way its a loss of ecosystems. I always thought Jordan Lake was a buffer for western growth, i guess im wrong. The eastern part of the county has zero buffers.
I think it'll focus west for awhile, there's a lot of land in Chatham still both on the east side, and on the west side of the lake. Except the universities and health systems, the largest employers are in RTP or just south of 40 in Morrisville or Cary. Most of the wake side north of Raleigh is already filled,

The farmland was already an ecosystem lost, although I do hate how they chop down all the trees just to build these awful neighborhoods.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,274,477 times
Chatham Park is beyond a done deal. They broke ground a couple of years ago and have the first healthcare center up and running. Chatham Park – Many Choices. One Place.

Chapel Hill is building affordable condos/apts on Legion Rd right now. Affordable housing apartment complex under development in Blue Hill District :: The Daily Tar Heel
2 Apartment Complexes Approved for Chapel Hill's Blue Hill District - Chapelboro.com

I think the Triangle will continue to develop around RTP, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,494,576 times
Greensboro; Fayetteville; Rocky Mount. These will be the next Triangle.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,450,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Greensboro; Fayetteville;Rocky Mount. These will be the next Triangle.
Yep.

And I'm gonna be the next King of England....

Old 10-22-2017, 09:32 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,708,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Greensboro; Fayetteville; Rocky Mount. These will be the next Triangle.
Not sure if serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary