Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post
Thanks cyn7cyn!! I'm so overwhelmed, this isn't fun anymore : /
Unfortunately more than $1200 a month on rent is really pushing it (our mortgage is a little more then half that), until we get used to it, I guess... there are a couple of places we're going to see in Cary that seem to be in established neighborhoods, but I wonder why the rent is so low... Seabrooke and Tarlow...
How's knightdale? We went to my job in Cary and drove to Knightdale and it only took 15 min, that was around "planter's walk" i think that's what it was called.
We looked at a house last week on Haska, and we didn't like the neighborhood AT ALL!! SO if we look in knightdale, I feel like its going to be just as exhausting!
I personally don't care for the whole Hedingham ,Village Lakes area myself. Knightdale is a nicer community IMO. I did grow up there but it was a complete different town. No McDonald's , Grocery stores etc...very rural. Today it is completely different. I think they even have an ampitheatre now and a new park. Your biggest hurdle is that you are renting and renting in Wake county is expensive and often not in the greatest neighborhoods. You have to dig deep to find a gem in rentals. Planters walk is pretty nice from what I remember. Several years ago there was some issues with a community close by but from what I've read and seen Knightdale police squashed it. My father still lives in Carrington Woods off Smithfield Rd oddly enough it looks better then it did even 10 years ago. I think Knightdale residents are prouder of their homes now that so many amenities have been added. It's a different vibe then Hanska way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Ok here we go.. First let me say that I am a minority on this forum. I'm not financially even middle class Being lower income means I am often living where other lower income people reside so I have some experience in this matter. Raleigh has reduced the amount of full scale housing projects but the people didn't move away. Many of those projects were downtown and wouldn't jive with the revitalization so they were torn down and residents were moved into the Section 8 program. If your not familiar it's where your rent is heavily subsidized. I'm not sure if there is a way to check how many properties in an area are in the program. But that would be a big indicator of possible issues with home appearance,crime and yard maintenance etc...
Thank you for explaining, I appreciate that and the care you took to put it nicely!

I certainly don't want to start any drama and I know finger pointing to certain neighborhoods or areas can do that. I'm just looking to be informed, so I search the forums pretty frequently but have only seen vague references. I'll keep at it.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:07 PM

42 posts, read 45,933 times
so My husband and I decided on renting in Cary. We're pushing it a bit by saying we can do 1300, but we'll make do... Anyhow, can I get some input on neighborhoods? This takes precedence over anything else... friendly, bikeiriding, respectful, inviting neighborhood

Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 45,933 times
OK - more specifically so far... Canterbury Woods? Hillsdale Forest? Cary Heights?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post
so My husband and I decided on renting in Cary. We're pushing it a bit by saying we can do 1300, but we'll make do... Anyhow, can I get some input on neighborhoods? This takes precedence over anything else... friendly, bikeiriding, respectful, inviting neighborhood
I know it's not IN Cary, but the Brier Creek area has some great neighborhoods, and while most of them are pretty expensive, I have a large 2 bedroom townhouse and I'm only paying in the low 900s. Its maybe 15-20 minutes to Cary, 40 minutes to downtown Raleigh (in rush hour), and about 15 minutes to downtown Durham, dog-friendly, quiet, and easy access to all the necessities. Drop me a DM if you'd like me to send you a link to the website.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:33 PM

13 posts, read 24,000 times
Depends on which high school since we have at least three in Cary.

You will have way too many choices for an elementary school but they are all great. Plus the benefit is that if you don't like the one you "choose" then she can go to the neighborhood school or a magnet school.

In my opinion, however, depending on where you live versus where you work may make play-dates difficult. For instance, if you're living in Garner but all her friends are in Cary.

One more thing - the map makes it look like everything is close together and easy to get to, but it's really kind of a pain. Cary has circular roads and not one direct route to anything.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtonc View Post
Depends on which high school since we have at least three in Cary.

You will have way too many choices for an elementary school but they are all great. Plus the benefit is that if you don't like the one you "choose" then she can go to the neighborhood school or a magnet school.

In my opinion, however, depending on where you live versus where you work may make play-dates difficult. For instance, if you're living in Garner but all her friends are in Cary.

One more thing - the map makes it look like everything is close together and easy to get to, but it's really kind of a pain. Cary has circular roads and not one direct route to anything.
You can't say that enough. Before GPS I don't think I ever made it anywhere in Cary without getting lost. I always thought it was just ME.lol

Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,413 times
I think you're definitely wise to rent in Cary. If your husband is working in Durham you don't want to live out east. That would just be too crazy of a commute with the traffic on the highways heading toward RTP. I was thinking of this specific neighborhood for you that is a great location for commuting to Durham because of the proximity to I-40, but the homes are smaller starter homes and they often will have inexpensive rentals, but it is a safe, friendly neighborhood. There happens to be a home for rent (I googled to check) on Wyatts Pond Rd. right now and it is well in your price range...under $1200/mo. I'd definitely check that out if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary