Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 12,362 times

Advertisements

I have a 2000 Camry which recently came up with a OBDII code of P0325 - Knock Sensor #1 - Circuit Malfunction.
Does anyone know a mechanic, preferably but not limited to the Cary area, who would not charge an astronomical amount to
look into the problem?
I am trying to find someone whom I could talk to in detail to understand any problem and look at what's being done to the car,
unlike the big name shops or the dealerships (not that I have anything against them, but they are not true repair shops. All they
can do is replace )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 02:13 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,431 times
A private/free lance mechanic is what you are looking for. I knew one, but he's no longer doing repairs .

There are tons of so called mobile mechanics in Craigslist, but can't experiment. Unless someone recommends one first hand.

On a side note, go to 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums register and post your problem. The forums have good information and even DIY writeup. Also try search within the forum. If you are inclined to doing fixes yourself, it may be a simple thing to change the knock sensor.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:14 PM

342 posts, read 872,328 times
I typically do things like this if you are not opposed to trying a few things yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cFuheKBgQ

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
A private/free lance mechanic is what you are looking for. I knew one, but he's no longer doing repairs .

There are tons of so called mobile mechanics in Craigslist, but can't experiment. Unless someone recommends one first hand.

On a side note, go to 3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums register and post your problem. The forums have good information and even DIY writeup. Also try search within the forum. If you are inclined to doing fixes yourself, it may be a simple thing to change the knock sensor.
Thank you. That's a great idea. I already have a toyotanation account and will try the post there

Old 07-22-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
I typically do things like this if you are not opposed to trying a few things yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cFuheKBgQ
The video is very informative, thanks. Unfortunately I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to doing it myself for a car fix. I'll try checking for the looseness of the sensor and the wire which seems like the first step. But would definitely have to seek help for any repairs/replacements.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abybaby View Post
The video is very informative, thanks. Unfortunately I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to doing it myself for a car fix. I'll try checking for the looseness of the sensor and the wire which seems like the first step. But would definitely have to seek help for any repairs/replacements.
Many times the OBD code explanation is not the root cause of the issue. A good mechanic will not throw parts at the problem at your expense.

Leith Toyota has a great service department.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Sullivan's Garage on Fletcher Chapel Road in Durham are very honest. Not the cheapest but they have saved me a few bucks on stuff Toyota and Nissan would have banged me hard on for sure.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abybaby View Post
I have a 2000 Camry which recently came up with a OBDII code of P0325 - Knock Sensor #1 - Circuit Malfunction.
Does anyone know a mechanic, preferably but not limited to the Cary area, who would not charge an astronomical amount to look into the problem?
1) You may safely drive the car with a bad knock sensor, provided you fuel with premium grade gasoline.
2) I am a Do-It-Yourself mechanic so have scant experience with local shops. I have a close friend who prefers to let the professionals handle his car work. He has high praise for Gaston's Garage.
Home - Gaston's Garage

Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions..will lookup the suggested places

Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
WASP auto is just off the intersection of 54/55. They are extremely reputable and honest. They have helped me over the phone with issues and prevented me from needing to come in at all. They have worked on our Toyotas (one's a Camry) for years and I have only the best things to say!! They specialize in Japanese brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary