Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:42 AM

44 posts, read 52,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Very cool. I will certainly have to take a look at the food truck culture down here. It's big here and I think it's a great thing to have anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Was this on 540? People blast by me on that road like I'm standing still.
Yep

Old 09-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
People here have an unnatural fear of left turns. It is truly bizarre, even when they have a steady green left turn arrow they won't go. I think all the other left turn arrows just add to the confusion. I try not to honk, but when someone is sitting at a green arrow or c.r.e.e.p.i.n.g into the intersection, they get it from me. And I have had that experience of people waiting for someone to make a left turn even when they are going straight and have the right of way. I think if you use your turn signal it's perceived as some sort of threat LOL.
It's amazing. The thing that really got me wat being in the leftmost left turn lane but turning into the rightmost lane. Besides the fact that it's annoying it really dangerous. I was the guy in the rightmost left turn lane next to this guy that almost sideswiped me!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Ha! Loved your follow up post!

Don't worry you will find some decent pizza,bagels etc down here.

You can also find larger than a postage stamp lot, although it will likely be an older (and down here that means 20 years old) home. We love having some land down here, but DH is getting tired of taking care of it! I think I can guess where you were based on descriptions though.

You are right on with the size house you need. Don't get sucked into the square footage nonsense that so many transplants do.

Sounds like you got a lot done - good for you!
Thanks for the warm words of encouragement. The whole trip was very positive. I was really surprised at how into the idea the whole family was. I guess seeing is believing.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 PM

41 posts, read 59,367 times
I just saw your post and so happy you enjoyed your trip down here. We like you are from the NYC/Northern NJ area, kids are mixed 1/2 Italian American and 1/2 Chinese American. We just moved down at the end of November and would never want to move back to NY/NJ. Yes, we miss good bagels, pizza, greek food, authentic Chinese, Korean and Japanese food, and matzo ball soup. But we do love the weather, people, less traffic, lower taxes, and the newer more spacious homes. People can say all they want about the schools and teachers, I actually feel for how little the teachers get paid, they do an amazing job. You will also find lots of available resources for childcare especially aftercare so it's very working parent friendly. Yes, it costs money but at least it's available. That was one of our hardest struggles in NJ. It was either the limited YMCA run at school aftercare or a nanny.
My kids are in K and 2nd and all their teachers have been extremely helpful, and definitely more helpful than the $90K tenured teachers we had in NJ. I didn't read through all the responses to your original post, but you will be happy to know that H Mart will be opening up in Cary on Davis Drive & High House. If you have Facebook, have your wife get on the Apex Cary Moms group to get all the local information from handyman to doctors. I found it extremely helpful when we first landed in Cary. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuen75 View Post
I just saw your post and so happy you enjoyed your trip down here. We like you are from the NYC/Northern NJ area, kids are mixed 1/2 Italian American and 1/2 Chinese American. We just moved down at the end of November and would never want to move back to NY/NJ. Yes, we miss good bagels, pizza, greek food, authentic Chinese, Korean and Japanese food, and matzo ball soup. But we do love the weather, people, less traffic, lower taxes, and the newer more spacious homes. People can say all they want about the schools and teachers, I actually feel for how little the teachers get paid, they do an amazing job. You will also find lots of available resources for childcare especially aftercare so it's very working parent friendly. Yes, it costs money but at least it's available. That was one of our hardest struggles in NJ. It was either the limited YMCA run at school aftercare or a nanny.
My kids are in K and 2nd and all their teachers have been extremely helpful, and definitely more helpful than the $90K tenured teachers we had in NJ. I didn't read through all the responses to your original post, but you will be happy to know that H Mart will be opening up in Cary on Davis Drive & High House. If you have Facebook, have your wife get on the Apex Cary Moms group to get all the local information from handyman to doctors. I found it extremely helpful when we first landed in Cary. Good luck with your move!
Good info. Thanks! An H Mart will certainly be music to her ears! Thanks for the heads up on the FB group as well. We are part of a number of local parents/neighborhood groups now and they are clutch for many things. Is there a garage sale type group in that area? I admin one for our neighborhood up here and it has been so great for everyone in it. Great way to get rid of things you don't need anymore and pick up some stuff for a deep deep discount.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:57 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,015,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickhealy View Post
Good info. Thanks! An H Mart will certainly be music to her ears! Thanks for the heads up on the FB group as well. We are part of a number of local parents/neighborhood groups now and they are clutch for many things. Is there a garage sale type group in that area? I admin one for our neighborhood up here and it has been so great for everyone in it. Great way to get rid of things you don't need anymore and pick up some stuff for a deep deep discount.
I like the FB group Wake County Online Yard Sale .I've also heard good things about Offer Up.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I like the FB group Wake County Online Yard Sale .I've also heard good things about Offer Up.
Good looking out. I will check that out for sure. The one we use covers a very small physical geography but because of population density it works. Does that one cover the entire county? Lots of people in that group....

Old 09-10-2015, 01:44 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,015,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickhealy View Post
Good looking out. I will check that out for sure. The one we use covers a very small physical geography but because of population density it works. Does that one cover the entire county? Lots of people in that group....
Yes it does. What always irks me is the posts that go up after 10pm at night. Most of the items are first come first serve but who can just run out that time of night? Especially when it's furniture etc.. and you don't have a truck. I guess the listers make plans to pick up in the morning but then you look and they already have 20 people who want it. By that time it just feels like "why bother?".

From my observation it's usually one of those IF you want it,you better be able to come right now. Works for some but I rarely find myself in the position to jump on it as quick as I need too.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Yes it does. What always irks me is the posts that go up after 10pm at night. Most of the items are first come first serve but who can just run out that time of night? Especially when it's furniture etc.. and you don't have a truck. I guess the listers make plans to pick up in the morning but then you look and they already have 20 people who want it. By that time it just feels like "why bother?".

From my observation it's usually one of those IF you want it,you better be able to come right now. Works for some but I rarely find myself in the position to jump on it as quick as I need too.
Good for sellers/givers. It gets rid of that stuff fast. That's a good thing. There are only about 1500 people in our local group and some of them are all "I can come by in 9 days and pick it up. Can you meet me half way?" I always list things as "priority given to those who can get here the quickest"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary