Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Ha! Loved your follow up post!

Don't worry you will find some decent pizza,bagels etc down here.

You can also find larger than a postage stamp lot, although it will likely be an older (and down here that means 20 years old) home. We love having some land down here, but DH is getting tired of taking care of it! I think I can guess where you were based on descriptions though.

You are right on with the size house you need. Don't get sucked into the square footage nonsense that so many transplants do.

Sounds like you got a lot done - good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Patrick, so glad you enjoyed your trip and you made it to a Bulls game! They're so much fun. I think you guys can be really happy here. Everything really is more spread out but you'll see where you tend to go most often (one reason why renting at first is ideal).

Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
As far as the speed thing. I'm pretty sure that has more to do with you not living in an area where driving your car is the norm. I can't remember exactly where you live but if it's right in NYC or even a borough ,there aren't many open roads to be able to drive at a higher speed. When I ride with someone different it always feels like they are either going too fast or slow. Combine that with a completely different environment and I can see how it could seem like a whirlwind.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 AM

595 posts, read 676,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
As far as the speed thing. I'm pretty sure that has more to do with you not living in an area where driving your car is the norm. I can't remember exactly where you live but if it's right in NYC or even a borough ,there aren't many open roads to be able to drive at a higher speed. When I ride with someone different it always feels like they are either going too fast or slow. Combine that with a completely different environment and I can see how it could seem like a whirlwind.
I agree with this perspective. I came from northern NJ. People up there drive much faster, much more aggressively and much more erratically. Overall driving around here is much more pleasant.

I was reminded of this at the end of August when we drove down 95 to the beach in SC. Nearly every time I saw a car viciously tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic, they were sporting NJ or NY plates.

The odd thing I find here in the triangle is the resistance to using a turn signal.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I can't believe that anyone thinks anyone here drives too fast. That was the only head scratcher in that post.

For the most part people here are too polite, and dangerously so, as evidenced by the woman who came to a complete dead stop in the left lane of 64 east yesterday morning in order to let 5 (FIVE) cars make a left hand turn into the Cary Auto Mall, causing people in the right lane to slam on their brakes and the people behind her to swerve towards the median to avoid hitting her in the rear. The stupidity of this move was outrageous but not unprecedented here.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I agree with this perspective. I came from northern NJ. People up there drive much faster, much more aggressively and much more erratically. Overall driving around here is much more pleasant.

I was reminded of this at the end of August when we drove down 95 to the beach in SC. Nearly every time I saw a car viciously tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic, they were sporting NJ or NY plates.

The odd thing I find here in the triangle is the resistance to using a turn signal.
Nothing like a trip north on 95 to put things in perspective!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:18 AM

44 posts, read 52,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post

YES!!!!! And when there are two left turn lanes they cross over one to another on the turn. It was a bit of a shock to me. I also noticed some hesitation when they clearly had the right of way. I'd be waiting to make a left and the light would turn green and the person who was across from me going straight just sat there. After a few times I just jumped the light because I got tired of waiting. #BadNewYorker

Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM

44 posts, read 52,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, I can't believe that anyone thinks anyone here drives too fast. That was the only head scratcher in that post.

For the most part people here are too polite, and dangerously so, as evidenced by the woman who came to a complete dead stop in the left lane of 64 east yesterday morning in order to let 5 (FIVE) cars make a left hand turn into the Cary Auto Mall, causing people in the right lane to slam on their brakes and the people behind her to swerve towards the median to avoid hitting her in the rear. The stupidity of this move was outrageous but not unprecedented here.
I'm not opposed to speed at all. I've lived outside of NYC. What I'm talking abut is getting passed while doing 80 by a minivan clearly doing much much more. Honestly, I didn't think minivans could go that fast....

Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickhealy View Post
YES!!!!! And when there are two left turn lanes they cross over one to another on the turn. It was a bit of a shock to me. I also noticed some hesitation when they clearly had the right of way. I'd be waiting to make a left and the light would turn green and the person who was across from me going straight just sat there. After a few times I just jumped the light because I got tired of waiting. #BadNewYorker
People here have an unnatural fear of left turns. It is truly bizarre, even when they have a steady green left turn arrow they won't go. I think all the other left turn arrows just add to the confusion. I try not to honk, but when someone is sitting at a green arrow or c.r.e.e.p.i.n.g into the intersection, they get it from me. And I have had that experience of people waiting for someone to make a left turn even when they are going straight and have the right of way. I think if you use your turn signal it's perceived as some sort of threat LOL.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickhealy View Post
I'm not opposed to speed at all. I've lived outside of NYC. What I'm talking abut is getting passed while doing 80 by a minivan clearly doing much much more. Honestly, I didn't think minivans could go that fast....
Was this on 540? People blast by me on that road like I'm standing still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary