Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:42 AM

105 posts, read 155,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
We love Midtown Pediatric Dentistry. It's by North Hills.
3rd to Midtown!!
We love midtown pediatric. Dr. Slawinski Is awesome with my two kids (2 and 5 years) they allow my husband and I to go with them. 100% recommended! We were recommended around 3 years ago by our dentist, she take her kids to midtown.

Here's the website Pediatric Dentist Raleigh, NC, 27609 - Dr. David Slawinski
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
No.

1000 times no.

I have PMed the OP.
both of my kids have been going there for over a decade and we've always had a wonderful experience! They love Dr Dan and my grandson goes there now too! bever had one single problem in all these years!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
4th for Midtown! My 15yo wants to go there forever. Dr. Slawinsky rocks!!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:18 PM

116 posts, read 173,015 times
5th for Midtown! Great with my three year old.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

73 posts, read 68,495 times
So thanks to all for the replies.

A couple of things:

I ended up scheduling with Raleigh Pediatric Dentistry. They allow you to sit in a chair outside the room.

Midtown gives every child nitrous oxide. Not every child needs that kind of sedation. Secondly, they do NOT allow parents to be present for fillings and other procedures.

Cary Pediatric Dentistry sounds like a good place, but the financial policy of the office was too limiting for our family. I just can't drop a 1K on what my kid needs up front. God bless the parents that can.

I really appreciate everyone that contributed to the question.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM

580 posts, read 712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2KidsinNC View Post
So thanks to all for the replies.

A couple of things:

I ended up scheduling with Raleigh Pediatric Dentistry. They allow you to sit in a chair outside the room.

Midtown gives every child nitrous oxide. Not every child needs that kind of sedation. Secondly, they do NOT allow parents to be present for fillings and other procedures.

Cary Pediatric Dentistry sounds like a good place, but the financial policy of the office was too limiting for our family. I just can't drop a 1K on what my kid needs up front. God bless the parents that can.

I really appreciate everyone that contributed to the question.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Just wanted to say for Cary Pediatric Dentistry- that you do have to pay out of pocket but my insurance company sends me the check within a week. The office gives you all the ins. paperwork, you just need to sign it and mail it. Their prices must be right on because my ins. company covers everything except for $5-$10 per kid.

Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Dr. Anita Sawhney...she is not a pediatric dentist, but I know her personally and my kids do go to her office. She has a 10 year old daughter. Anita is very quiet and chill, she has a calming presence and she would be willing to listen to your concerns and work with you on the arrangement that is best for your child.

My youngest had terrible teeth and terrible separation anxiety, so I know where you are coming from. We tried multiple approaches to get her into the room to have her teeth filled to no avail. There was a loud and assertive assistant she was terrified of. When she was about 3 she had to go to the OR for conscious sedation so the dentist could fill and seal everything. I felt terrible about it, but we all survived the experience and she managed just fine on her own when she was due for braces. So no long term harm was done.

But don't forget, your child is picking up on your anxieties...so don't create a problem where none needs to exist. If you send your child back with a hygenist with confidence, the child will feel it too.

I can't blame you for being concerned. The first pediatric dentist we saw with my oldest got cranky with her and told me to hold her down. Never went back to that jackwagon! I've visited and rejected many professionals in many fields over the years for their terrible manner with kids.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There are pediatric dentists that don't allow parents to watch?
Yes, that sounds strange to me. I would expect that the dentist would want the parent in there as a calming effect on the child. Of course, maybe there were too many "helicopter parents" who were distracting to the office staff, in cases where they aren't allowed in the exam room--but still, just as with peditricians, I can't fathom a ped DDS taking a kid in an already frightening situation and not letting the parent be there.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
FYI: A parent cannot be denied access to the back office when their child is getting medical treatment. Many providers frown upon it but it's law up until age 18. Most kids do better when parents aren't around and that is why providers prefer you not be there. I work medical and learned this from my training. I'm at the point where I don't care whether a parent comes or not. It totally depends on the temperament/maturity of the kid.

My daughter used to be a dental nightmare and I recommended they use a papoose board to keep her still but I was there the whole time. I think if I would of waited in the lobby, I'd have anxiety and she'd never want to see a dentist again. She grew out of it and goes in by herself now for braces tightening at age 12. Also, make sure your dentist and your kid get along. You wouldn't want to go to a Dr that treated you like crap. Would you?

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
When my oldest (in his mid 30s now) started going to Dr. Dan Howell at age 4, I always went back with him. As a matter of fact, there was always a chair there for parents, at each chair.

When child #2 was born, they were used to seeing child #1 go back. Same with child #3 and child #4. I stopped going back with 2 through 4, as they were so used to being in Dr. Dan's office, they didn't need or want me back there! It used to be a joke that Dr. Dan would send someone out to the waiting room to get me!!!

I never felt that comfortable going to the dentist so my kids' comfort level amazed me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary