Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 AM

169 posts, read 419,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I've not been, but I read your post and it made sense to me, so I looked on YELP!

Big Steve

What I see is a dang good rating. Some reviews are from people who have only reviewed a couple places, and would support your theory, but (to be fair) there are several 5-star reviews with people who are clearly reviewing a lot of places (some over 100).

It "SEEMS" the recommendations are legit. Maybe you went on a bad day? Or maybe you have different tastes, and the true "NY Authentics" are just not to your liking?

Again, I've not been. This is must what my semi-objective research points to.
Nope, I've been to NY a few times, and have been to the mainstream places everyone tells you not to go to, and the smaller places everyone tells you to go to, and have not found that taste anywhere else.

I don't know what to say, every single bagel type was bad, and that bread was horrible. The thing was, they weren't just stale, they didn't even taste like bagels. They tasted like bagel shaped bread. We went at like 9:30am on a Saturday I want to say.

I'm really confused by everything regarding this. It's not anywhere near convenient for me to go to it, so I'm not really willing to try it again. It's in a little strip mall in a little town, and honestly most people in those towns don't have the best taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I always liked the Bagels from NY Bagel on Falls of Neuse near Strickland in N. Raleigh.
If this place doesn't do the trick it's you, not the bagel. It even "looks" right.

And as an aside, bagel lovers are insane, everywhere: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/ma...rnia.html?_r=0

Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I was born and raised in New York and you know where I got mine? Shop Rite,
I'll be sure to give your bagel-related opinion exactly as much credence as it deserves.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Nope, I've been to NY a few times, and have been to the mainstream places everyone tells you not to go to, and the smaller places everyone tells you to go to, and have not found that taste anywhere else.

I don't know what to say, every single bagel type was bad, and that bread was horrible. The thing was, they weren't just stale, they didn't even taste like bagels. They tasted like bagel shaped bread. We went at like 9:30am on a Saturday I want to say.

I'm really confused by everything regarding this. It's not anywhere near convenient for me to go to it, so I'm not really willing to try it again. It's in a little strip mall in a little town, and honestly most people in those towns don't have the best taste.
My opinion? Never take bagel advice from someone with "Tex" in their name. : Just kidding. I've never tried Big Steve's so I have no idea. But I am curious. I love me a good NY bagel. I remember a time when people hadn't heard of bagels outside of NYC, let alone bialys, so mankind has definitely made a giant leap forward in that regard.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My opinion? Never take bagel advice from someone with "Tex" in their name. : Just kidding.
Same is true about BBQ and Mexican Food.
Quote:
I've never tried Big Steve's so I have no idea. But I am curious. I love me a good NY bagel. I remember a time when people hadn't heard of bagels outside of NYC, let alone bialys, so mankind has definitely made a giant leap forward in that regard.
You must be REALLY old. I am 47 and grew up on Bagels from before I could remember. I never made it to NY until my early 40's. (Although my dad was from there, but even in the late 70's we could get fresh bagels AND bialli's in Pittsburgh and Charlotte NC. (Yes, fresh Bialli's in Charlotte)

Old 07-27-2015, 12:07 PM

634 posts, read 913,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Not to be a jerk but would love to avoid Brueggers or Dunkin Donuts etc as the answer here ...
Well, I was hoping you'd hear of bagel nirvana here in the south, but so far, I guess not.

So I'll ask about the above opener. I am sorta a new yorker (grew up on Long Island), and from what I remember, the Brueggers bagels are very close to what we had back then - especially toasted, well being my preference. Is it the taste that's lacking?

I agree on Dunkin Donuts - no better than bagels at a grocery store, perhaps worse.

P.S. To me, finding a decent hard roll (to butter) is much tougher than finding a bagel.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post

So I'll ask about the above opener. I am sorta a new yorker (grew up on Long Island), and from what I remember, the Brueggers bagels are very close to what we had back then - especially toasted, well being my preference. Is it the taste that's lacking?
I think a lot of people tune out to Brueggers because they are a big chain, so "they can't be authentic". I've been guilty of doing the same, but I agree that they have legit bagels (and a lot of other crap I don't need too).

Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
It comes down to how the bagels are cooked, (by a chain or mom and pop shop) do you like them boiled or baked. The grocery stores do not boil the bagels first. Bruggers and some other places do and it changes the consistency of the bagel.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM

169 posts, read 419,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Same is true about BBQ and Mexican Food.

You must be REALLY old. I am 47 and grew up on Bagels from before I could remember. I never made it to NY until my early 40's. (Although my dad was from there, but even in the late 70's we could get fresh bagels AND bialli's in Pittsburgh and Charlotte NC. (Yes, fresh Bialli's in Charlotte)
I'm 37 and have been eating bagels since I was a little kid, yes, in Texas. Spoken like true Northerner's discounting my tastes because I am from TX. I am on your side guys, I haven't had bagels as good as what I've had in NY, short of maybe one place. There was a restaurant, in Richmond of all places, called Obreinstein's. It was a restaurant that instead of bread being brought to your table, it was fresh made bagels. They had a plexiglass enclosure in the middle where you could watch them being made fresh. They were pretty amazing, mainly because you got them within 5 minutes of them being done.

And finally, did you just question a Texan's ability to know good Mexican food? You're straight up crazy if so. The Mexican food in NC is almost completely 100% garbage. At least we have a Chuy's here now, my favorite Tex-Mex (new mex, calmex, whatever you're used to it being called). I also hate when people get pretentious and say, "Oh, Chuy's isn't Mexican food", no kidding! PF Changs isn't Chinese food!, no kidding! People get so hung up on what is considered authentic, instead of just enjoying food for food.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
unless hand rolled with NY Water it aint a bagel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary