Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM

100 posts, read 110,644 times

Advertisements

That's good to know, keeval. Thank you for posting the info about the Fresh Market. I think that will work out better for me than schlepping out to Strickland Road this weekend.

Unfortunately, I can't help with your question. This will be my first experience with hatch chiles. I'm excited to try something new & there are lots of recipes online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:08 AM

100 posts, read 110,644 times
Well, I just realized that you have to order 25 pounds from the Fresh Market. That's a lot of chiles for a small household that's never tried them before. Maybe I'll be driving out to Harris Teeter after all...

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post
I know nothing about Hatch chiles but happened to be in Fresh Market in Cary last night and picked up a flyer. It says they are taking online orders for roasted Hatch chiles through Sept. 5, for pickup in stores through Sept. 10, in case anyone can't get to that particular Harris Teeter. The FM event this past Saturday included food sampling. Anyone know if the Harris Teeter event will have that? I'd like to know what they taste like, before jumping on the bandwagon.
Does the flyer give a price?

They taste like regular Anaheim chiles - just hotter and more flavorful. HT has not had tastings in the past.

indeed, 25 pounds is A LOT of chiles. I use them frequently for our family of two and sometimes for pot lucks and parties (though not as often as I did in Phoenix - the crowd here likes their Mexican food mild, ugh.) 25 pounds would last us more than a year unless I shared with friends.

Assuming my memory is correct, HT sells them in 2 lb bags. They freeze in snack size baggies beautifully, but I suggest peeling prior to freezing.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-27-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

The manager at the Strickland store just called me. HT FB page has been giving out incorrect information! This weekend's Hatch Chile Roast is at Store #136

Harris Teeter
6024 Falls of the Neuse Rd
raleigh, NC 27609
Phone: (919) 872-5786

I've called the store manager to confirm. Saturday and Sunday until supplies run out.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 AM

85 posts, read 94,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturna5 View Post
Well, I just realized that you have to order 25 pounds from the Fresh Market. That's a lot of chiles for a small household that's never tried them before. Maybe I'll be driving out to Harris Teeter after all...
Yikes! I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info. We're in the same situation...that's way too much for us, too.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM

85 posts, read 94,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

The manager at the Strickland store just called me. HT FB page has been giving out incorrect information! This weekend's Hatch Chile Roast is at Store #136

Harris Teeter
6024 Falls of the Neuse Rd
raleigh, NC 27609
Phone: (919) 872-5786

I've called the store manager to confirm. Saturday and Sunday until supplies run out.
Thanks for this info. Might be worth the trip, especially if they will sell in smaller amounts.

There were no prices on the Fresh Market flyer. I didn't check online, but imagine they must be available there, since it's apparently an online order form.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post
Thanks for this info. Might be worth the trip, especially if they will sell in smaller amounts.

There were no prices on the Fresh Market flyer. I didn't check online, but imagine they must be available there, since it's apparently an online order form.
Harris Teeter - $1.49/pound roasted. They usually have some 1-2 pound bags available as well as larger bags. If you order 25 pounds, the price is $1.29/lb, roasted for free.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
I don't recall ever trying these, so I will have to stop by and get a couple pounds. Are these normally in supply for just a couple days, or do stores receive shipments for longer? I like peppers, but I wouldn't want to buy a lot if I ended up not liking them.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:15 AM

52 posts, read 59,317 times
The Fresh Market in Durham is selling Hatch peppers in small pre-packaged quantities. I'd estimate probably 6 to 8 peppers in each plastic wrapped styrofoam tray. Just saw them there on Tuesday.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I don't recall ever trying these, so I will have to stop by and get a couple pounds. Are these normally in supply for just a couple days, or do stores receive shipments for longer? I like peppers, but I wouldn't want to buy a lot if I ended up not liking them.
No, it's a short season. They've been in a few stores for a few weeks, but AFAIK this is about the only weekend you can get them roasted. (You can roast them yourself, but the shape if these things makes it difficult to roast them evenly.)

Simply put, if you like canned hot chiles, you'll live these. I cant even eat the canned ones anymore. But be aware that they do tend to be HOT. Even the mediums are too hot for many people. The words 'mild chile' and 'NM Hatch Chile' are oxymoronic.

A small cooking tip: If the green chile sauce is truly too hot, add a little sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary