Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 AM

21 posts, read 33,745 times

Advertisements

So it's finally been decided that my husband and I will be relocating to the Triangle area hopefully by the beginning of the new year, possibly sooner. Under the assumption he'll be working in RTP or Cary (he works in IT) our plan is to rent while we scope out areas more in depth, then buy a home.

I've come across this complex in several searches - does anyone live here or can anyone tell me about it?

Stonesthrow-Durham

Also, can anyone suggest 6 month or m2m rentals in the RTP area in the $850 range that I can look up? Holly Springs is also a contender since we may want to eventually buy there.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM

379 posts, read 747,000 times
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post
Under the assumption he'll be working in RTP or Cary (he works in IT)
Not a safe assumption. The IT work is all over, from Chapel Hill to downtown Raleigh.

Don't know about that specific complex.

Good luck

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM

19,391 posts, read 27,674,607 times
I agree that deciding where to live before finding a job is not a great idea.

But 6 month leases are fairly common in the Brier Creek area, which is centrally located to everything in the Triangle, and just next door to RTP. Some complexes will do a 3 month lease. I don't know of anywhere that does m2m leases except corporate housing, which is three to four times your budget.

Probably the least expensive of the Brier Creek apts is Carrington. They are large, recently updated and has a small pool. 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units. They allow pets.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Welcome!

Not a safe assumption. The IT work is all over, from Chapel Hill to downtown Raleigh.

Don't know about that specific complex.

Good luck
Well we're sort of thinking RTP b/c there are a few specific companies he has an "in" with already. That's all we really have to go off of, though!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,563,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoustoYall View Post

Stonesthrow-Durham

Also, can anyone suggest 6 month or m2m rentals in the RTP area in the $850 range that I can look up? Holly Springs is also a contender since we may want to eventually buy there.

Thanks in advance!!
I have no specific info about that complex other than to say that's a good location as a temp renter jumping off point. You can get to most areas fairly easily, plus if your husband does work in RTP that's convenient. Having said that I would never live right there myself as I think it would be really boring - it's right in the middle of an office park - but plus to them for having a dog park.

Your username is hilarious.

Definitely suggest a visit and a job search before you get here - IT is big here, but there are also a lot of job searchers already here. Not to discourage though - just do it carefully. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,336,419 times
If he works in RTP (a big if), then RTP is centrally located in the the Triangle and convenient to a lot of locations. Morrisville is the closest, and Durham, Cary, NW and portions of North Raleigh are convenient. Plenty of folks who work in RTP live in Chapel Hill and Carborro.

As suggested above, a 6 month lease in a central spot, like Brier Creek in NW Raleigh, probably makes sense until the exact job location is identified. You can then move closer to work if necessary.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,761,524 times
Even the companies with HQs in RTP have satellite offices around the area; I would never decide on a specific complex before having an actual job in hand.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM

To clarify, we're not deciding on anything until the job situation is in order, just researching.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,129,720 times
where to begin ?? is that sticky thread at the top that says "relocation index".

$850 is a tight budget, but not undoable. If you were to live in Holly Springs and commute to RTP, I would absolutely plan to pay the toll.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:21 PM

13 posts, read 23,938 times
I always recommend living closer to where your husband works. There is a new toll road that would help but for me, Holly Springs is too far from RTP. You will get more for your money however. You'd be fine anywhere in Wake County, but I think there are more rental options closer to RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary