Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM

61 posts, read 50,337 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are moving to Clayton April 1st and was trying to research where my kids can play sports. I have a baseball player, softball player, soccer and then football and cheer in the fall. Is there anything in Clayton other than the park/rec league?

Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 03:36 PM

514 posts, read 603,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
Hi! We are moving to Clayton April 1st and was trying to research where my kids can play sports. I have a baseball player, softball player, soccer and then football and cheer in the fall. Is there anything in Clayton other than the park/rec league?

Thanks !!
There is definitely more than just CPRD but it depends on how involved you wish to be, and to what level.

Baseball has Little League, Civitan, other surrounding communities, Select and plenty of travel teams.
Softball will let you play rec there or nearby or travel. There is really no level between them in softball.
Soccer - JUSA, multiple rec options, CASL (going to Cary) or travel level.
Cheer and football are pretty much through Civitan until you reach the age to do it at school.

How old are your kids?

For what it's worth, the rec leagues have mostly shut down rec registrations. They started 1/4.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Thanks! We have a 11,9,6 and 5 year old.

I also saw a sign for rugby in Clayton, how much of a commitment is that?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM

Here is the link for rugby: https://www.claytonrugby.com/

I have not personally been involved in that. You can go to Clayton NC Parks and Recreation - QuickScores.com to register your kids but I would not wait too long. That is for the Parks and Rec department.

Are you all just looking for rec level or something beyond?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:24 PM

I think we are going to start with rec level with just moving to the area and having multiple kids in different sports! I know the commitment for anything above rec where we live now is like 5 days a week!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
I think we are going to start with rec level with just moving to the area and having multiple kids in different sports! I know the commitment for anything above rec where we live now is like 5 days a week!
Travel is usually one weekday, then the weekend. If your player has individual lessons, you have to add that in. Obviously, if you are doing rec as well, that adds to it. All told, I am usually at a ballfield 6 days per week. In my case, I tend to be coaching a rec team as well as a travel team, plus All-Stars when they come around. Then, we help out as guests for teams in need and I generally try to pitch in to help other coaches or teams who need the extra body. There is no doubt that it is a commitment.

By the way, that is for my 9 year old daughter.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Travel is usually one weekday, then the weekend. If your player has individual lessons, you have to add that in. Obviously, if you are doing rec as well, that adds to it. All told, I am usually at a ballfield 6 days per week. In my case, I tend to be coaching a rec team as well as a travel team, plus All-Stars when they come around. Then, we help out as guests for teams in need and I generally try to pitch in to help other coaches or teams who need the extra body. There is no doubt that it is a commitment.

By the way, that is for my 9 year old daughter.

Wow only 1 day a week for travel! That's awesome! Here for travel you practice 3 days a weekend and have tournaments all weekend long. It's A LOT!

Where does your daughter play? I have a 9 year old daughter in softball!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 AM

To be clear, that is usually one weekday. Most travel teams practice a weekday and on the weekends. Tournaments are on the weekends - some are 1-day but most are 2-day tournaments.

Archer Lodge has softball for the first time this spring. We are playing rec there. They will have only one 8U team and one 10U team. We have played with Clayton Parks and Rec since she started in 2014. Their age groups are determined by birth year, essentially. My daughter (hence our travel team) is 07 birth year. That said, every girl on my travel team who is actually playing rec will be playing up in 10U. On the travel side, we will play 8U for now but plan to move up later this year, assuming we can get some of our girls to consistently throw strikes. The transition is a big one.

Is your daughter 06 or 07? Feel free to tell me about her and I don't mind setting you up with tryouts, guest playing opportunities and the like, if travel is of interest. If you are just sticking with rec, as I said before, I would suggest registering sooner than later.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
To be clear, that is usually one weekday. Most travel teams practice a weekday and on the weekends. Tournaments are on the weekends - some are 1-day but most are 2-day tournaments.

Archer Lodge has softball for the first time this spring. We are playing rec there. They will have only one 8U team and one 10U team. We have played with Clayton Parks and Rec since she started in 2014. Their age groups are determined by birth year, essentially. My daughter (hence our travel team) is 07 birth year. That said, every girl on my travel team who is actually playing rec will be playing up in 10U. On the travel side, we will play 8U for now but plan to move up later this year, assuming we can get some of our girls to consistently throw strikes. The transition is a big one.

Is your daughter 06 or 07? Feel free to tell me about her and I don't mind setting you up with tryouts, guest playing opportunities and the like, if travel is of interest. If you are just sticking with rec, as I said before, I would suggest registering sooner than later.

She was born Feb 2007. We won't be down there permanently until April 1st. When does the travel team start practicing/playing? I'm assuming that April 1st would be to late to join a rec team? I will look into Archer Lodge, I believe that will be close to us. Still studying the maps to see what's around! lol.

What school does your daughter go to?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Cool. Mine was born in January of 2007. That is definitely too late to join but the rec games will not have started yet, so you could register in advance, then start. Rec practices will start in March. If you tell me where you will be, I can help with some of those questions.

My daughter attends East Clayton Elem.

Travel is year-round. We played our last tournament of the fall season in mid-November (though tournaments still happened in December) and we will play our first of this season 2/27. Last weekend is when the tournaments began again. There are not a lot of 8U teams in the Eastern half of the state but we all need guests, several are looking for roster players and I will add 1 or 2 more myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary