Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times

Advertisements

I live in Carolina Arbors and a large bank of mailboxes was recently installed in the last section of Phase II. I am thinking that the remainder of the future homes in our neighborhood will also have them. Also hoping that the almost 400 homes that have individual mail boxes are able to keep them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
townhouse communities all over the Triangle have them. And have for over a decade. Nothing new.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
Traditions at Heritage is like that as well as many of the new developments popping up in N Wake. We however lucked out and got a curbside mailbox somehow.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
I'm curious if they still deliver packages to your door in these subdivisions? Or is it like apartments and put a key in your box to get parcels out of the large lock box?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 PM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I'm curious if they still deliver packages to your door in these subdivisions? Or is it like apartments and put a key in your box to get parcels out of the large lock box?
It is a box with a key like apartments.

On another note, my subdivision has mailboxes like that in one place. In USPS terminology they are known as cluster boxes.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
It is a box with a key like apartments.

On another note, my subdivision has mailboxes like that in one place. In USPS terminology they are known as cluster boxes.
That's where the USPS will screw themselves (well, one more time in a line of screwing themselves) if they have the typical one or two smallish parcel boxes per 12-24 mailboxes they have always done. Amazon is more and more using the post office for smaller boxes and usually the service is good. But if People have to drive to the post office the next day to pick something up that could have been left on the porch, because it was a little too big or the box was already taken, they will complain to Amazon to get the shipping guarantee and Amazon will stop using them. Others will as well. This is the last thing you want if you are making more and more money from parcels and less off old school mail.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Here is Cary's information page on cluster mailboxes. Nobody's happy about it, but not much can be done about it, so Cary's working to figure out the best way to accommodate the clusters.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 AM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's where the USPS will screw themselves (well, one more time in a line of screwing themselves) if they have the typical one or two smallish parcel boxes per 12-24 mailboxes they have always done. Amazon is more and more using the post office for smaller boxes and usually the service is good. But if People have to drive to the post office the next day to pick something up that could have been left on the porch, because it was a little too big or the box was already taken, they will complain to Amazon to get the shipping guarantee and Amazon will stop using them. Others will as well. This is the last thing you want if you are making more and more money from parcels and less off old school mail.
Boxes that don't fit in the boxes are left at the door, at least that's been my experience.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
There are parts of Kildaire Farm that have cluster mailboxes.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM

375 posts, read 609,576 times
These "clutter boxes" (pun intended) are perfect places for the local riff-raff to plunder. I'm not that mobile any longer and the local cluster box was vandalized once already. They are located in the middle of nowhere and easy to pop open with anyone noticing. I will eventually have to buy my meds back on Craigs list. The least they can do is put a paper shredder next to the cluster box.

Facts;
Most bills are paid on-line now. I've stopped the paper bill on every service that sends me a monthly notice. It's deprives the USPS of income and hopefully brings their demise a bit closer.
Christmas cards! Does anyone send them any more?

All they have left is...
  • Priority mail and the "last mile" contracts with UPS, Fedex and DHL... and they don't even do that well.
  • Selling stamps to stamp-collectors and those are increasing more a political statement and extraordinarily ugly to boot.
  • Money orders. When was the last time you send a postal money order?
  • Priority mail boxes. Make great storage for small parts. So easy to pack and convenient to stack.
  • Saturday delivery. Who gives a rat$a$$ about Saturday delivery. I'd just like an even chance of getting delivered to my curd 5 days a week. Hell. I'd take every other day.
  • Selling service to the despicable direct marketing advertisers

Your Congress has done a great job of totally destroying a once proud and dedicated service and turning it into a wretched self-serving bureaucratic mess..... and that was their intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary