U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 10,041,832 times

Advertisements

FCC says big changes may be coming, so don't be caught off guard. Would go from copper based wiring to fiber optics, with certain ramifications.

You still use a landline? FCC voting on new phone rules :: WRAL.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,755,959 times
Dropped my landline years ago. Nothing was justifying the $40/mo charge for a copper line. Will rely on cell phone and VoIP w/e911 coverage for calls, shotgun for security should we lose power.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM

7,701 posts, read 9,236,117 times
Landline been gone for some time. Got tired of telemarketers and answer machines. Got a cabinet full of shotguns

Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM

6,572 posts, read 9,901,376 times
I wish I could still have copper since I work from home - I've had the experience more than once of my internet going out and oops there goes my conference call.

Using my sell for work isn't practical nor reimbursed - an old timey copper landline would do the trick but those days are over.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:57 PM

748 posts, read 1,247,230 times
We have one. Came with our TWC package.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:58 PM

252 posts, read 244,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
That's the way ours is, and it would cost us more to get rid of it than to keep it. Plus our ADT security system uses the phone line.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,526,570 times
If copper goes, it will not automatically be replaced with fiber in many to most places.

In plenty of places, wireless (cell) phones will be expected to be the replacement.

That's great for urban areas (well, maybe), but not for rural areas. Where our vacation home is, there's only cell signal for US Cellular including VZW roaming. No landline? No 911, no ambulance, no sheriff, no nothing.

We have a mechanism through the Universal Service Fund to subsidize service in rural areas, but will it be enough?

Folks impacted by Sandy a few years back in communities where VZ and others don't want to rebuild have been through this already....

Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 7,410,262 times
If nothing else, this thread has validated the FCC premise that confusion exists ... Without defining the terms this is tough one.

Suffice it to say that legacy voice from the "phone company" (TDM voice) was delivered over twisted copper pair cable that was also used to electrically power the phone. This is a "landline" or a "copper line". So your home could lose power, but the phone service would still work.

Time Warner provides voice over coax cable (also using copper in the cable) using Voice over IP. No electrical power is provided in this scenario but the phone interface box can contain backup batteries. A UPS/batteries on your internet modem/phone interface box can support Voice over IP when the electricity is off in your home assuming the TW network is also not effected by the power outage.

Newer "fiber to home" installs also do not deliver electrical power from the network (fiber is not a good conductor of electricity so this is problematic). So these installs also require a local power source (battery packs, UPS, etc) when the main electrical power system fails.

None of this is particularly difficult, but just different. So a bit of an education process for some. Hence the FCC concern.

The alarm/health monitoring is more of a VoIP issue. Some VoIP services work fine, but some do not.
But since VoIP systems almost always rely on local power, a battery backup/UPS is useful. Much like for the actual alarm system in your home.

Frank

Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM

6,572 posts, read 9,901,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
That's not a "real" landline though - not the old kind, using copper - yours is connected to your internet so you'll lose it if you lose power.

Whoops, hadn't read Frank's much more thorough response before I replied!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 7,410,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
That's not a "real" landline though - not the old kind, using copper - yours is connected to your internet so you'll lose it if you lose power.

Whoops, hadn't read Frank's much more thorough response before I replied!
Thanks, I couldn't resist a response. The irony of the Service Providers getting grief for moving away from copper in this thread vs the ongoing "When will those idiots run fiber to my house? " thread was too good to pass up.

We both work from home ... so we have a Frontier landline, two VZ cell phones and TW VoIP/Internet. All TW gear on UPS backups. About six months ago the power company scheduled a four hour outage in our neighborhood to replace a transformer, everything still worked fine.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary