Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Thanks all. I'm looking into costs for replacing it. Any insights into how much I should expect it to cost? I'm not sure if a tank-less water heater is within my budget but I'll look into it.

If anybody has recommendations for somebody /business they used for a tank replacement job I'd love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
I'll add my voice to those suggesting a tankless water heater. In Japan, space is at a premium, so many houses there have them installed on the outside of their house.

Tankless Water Heaters - Outdoor Installation VS Indoor Installation of Tankless Hot Water Heaters

Quote:
Tankless water heaters are prolific to say the least in Asia. Space is at a premium, and the common practice in Japan for instance is to place the water heater on the outside of one of the homes walls. That way it doesn't take up any indoor space.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks all. I'm looking into costs for replacing it. Any insights into how much I should expect it to cost? I'm not sure if a tank-less water heater is within my budget but I'll look into it.

If anybody has recommendations for somebody /business they used for a tank replacement job I'd love to hear about it.
If selling, just replace the water heater and expansion tank. Don't waste extra money you do not need to.
Depending on size, you should be looking at around $1,000 for both, combined and installed. Believe it or not, HD and Lowes are great options for things like this.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
I've told this story before but it bears repeating.

We left for the hospital to give birth to our first child on a Sunday.

When we came home on Wednesday we discovered a $30,000 homeowners claim. Water running down the stairs like a river. 50% of the sheetrock from the two story family room ceiling on the floor of that room. Furniture and 1800 square feet of hardwood floors destroyed. Two closets destroyed.

The expansion canister on our two year old HWH (in the attic) had developed a pinhole leak and water was forced out of the pinhole under enough pressure to keep it outside the perimeter of the pan. Our water bill went up all of $5 that month, but $5 worth of water caused $30,000 worth of damage.

We moved into a furnished rental apartment for the first 5 weeks of my daughter's life. Repairs were made and we moved back in only to have to leave for another week after the flooring material had acclimated in order to blend and refinish the floors. We stayed in the house a year and then sold. New house has the HWH in the garage.

The only two options I will ever consider are tankless or garage locations.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I've told this story before but it bears repeating.

The only two options I will ever consider are tankless or garage locations.
3rd option:
Basement utility room with a floor drain.

I was in a basement house recently where the water heater was in the attic. Really. LOL

And, I was in a tract house a while back where the house had a basement, and the plumbers had plumbed the water heater in the garage, disregarding the large basement utility room with a floor drain and an obvious water heater spot. I asked the onsite agent if a buyer could have it built with the water heater in the utility room, and she flipped out. "What?! That is where it is supposed to be!"

Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
3rd option:
Basement utility room with a floor drain.

I was in a basement house recently where the water heater was in the attic. Really. LOL

And, I was in a tract house a while back where the house had a basement, and the plumbers had plumbed the water heater in the garage, disregarding the large basement utility room with a floor drain and an obvious water heater spot. I asked the onsite agent if a buyer could have it built with the water heater in the utility room, and she flipped out. "What?! That is where it is supposed to be!"
Unreal.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Unreal.

For real. x2

Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
It's a water heater. The term "hot water heater" is incorrect as there is simply no reason to heat water that's already hot.

And since I'm ranting it's not a barbeque or BBQ, it's a grill. Barbeque is a cooking style of pork or type of sauce.

And my last rant is it's impossible to be a single parent/mother/father. You are either a divorced parent or unwed parent. You can be a single woman or single man but not parent.

Sorry. End of rant. Continue on.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
It's a water heater. The term "hot water heater" is incorrect as there is simply no reason to heat water that's already hot.

Sooo, you heat yours up once and it maintains temperature indefinitely? My water heater heats up the hot water every few hours. They're water heaters once, then hot water heaters after that...no?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I don't see the pan as a cure all. When mine went it did not just flow out, it sprayed and hit the garage wall a few feet from the unit. Fortunate for me I was home both times it happened and heard it and was able to get to the main shut off within a minute.
Nope...unfortunately the pan wouldn't do much good in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary