Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 AM

269 posts, read 943,882 times

Advertisements

Okay, maybe not exactly Stepford, but I would love opinions on neighborhoods where that type of neighborhood value and comraderie still exists.

The type of neighboorhood where you feel comfortable asking a neighbor to watch your children in case of emergency. Where you take turns carpooling children to school and activities. Where you actually introduce yourselves to the new neighbor. Where children play together. Where neighbors say hello not run in their houses and hide. Where you have holiday openhouses and potlucks.

Do these still exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I certainly wouldn't slap the Stepford badge on too many places around here (maybe Preston is deserving, though), however I think the kind of community you described is quite common throughout many Triangle area neighborhoods. I know it certianly is that way on my street!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,289 times
My street too, but we are not a defined subdivision and I certainly wouldn't call us Stepford!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 AM

Okay, stepford might have been a little harsh of a term, I apologize. But I am lookign for the type of neighborhood one might have expected more in the 1950's than in the year 2000, make sense??

Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
I think you will find this on a case-by-case basis in many neighborhoods. But it all really depends on the actual individuals living on the specific street or block in your neck of the neighborhood that you live in rather than the make-up of the entire neighborhood as a whole. I think it would be misleading and very difficult to describe any one neighborhood as a place where the majority acts the same way.

I think you can absolutely find what you are looking for, but I think it is hard to say any one neighborhood in its entirety can be described that way.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I live in Falls River, which is a neo-traditional neighborhood (sidewalks, front porches, some alleys with rear-load garages. I think neighborhoods like this do contribute to a greater community feel than they typical cul-de-sac developments, however it really is going to come down to the people. There are a number of neighborhoods in the Triangle with the TND layout, and here's a partial listing off the top of my head:

Falls River
Bedford
Meadowmont
Southern Village
Renaissance Park
Amberly
Carpenter Village

Now, trying to recreate a 1950s atmosphere is going to be darn near impossible regardless of the neighborhood. Why? There's just so much more keeping us inside now than there was then...A/C, Internet, Cable, DVD, Video Games, etc... That and most of us drive everywhere now, rather than passing each others' homes on foot when heading to work, the store, etc...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM

169 posts, read 419,165 times
There is no such thing as a neighborhood full of people you can trust. I don't mean that to sound harsh. It's just that people were probably more trusting back in the day. And then with that said, a neighborhood is not a constant. People come and go, and money talks, so anyone can move into a neighborhood. More money doesn't mean that the people will be nicer either. Some of the most socially inept people I have come across are medical doctors, and they make loads of money.

The only way you are going to find this is to try and move into an area where you know someone, and they know the neighborhood, or to try and meet the people in an area before closing on a house.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
Okay, maybe not exactly Stepford, but I would love opinions on neighborhoods where that type of neighborhood value and comraderie still exists.

The type of neighboorhood where you feel comfortable asking a neighbor to watch your children in case of emergency. Where you take turns carpooling children to school and activities. Where you actually introduce yourselves to the new neighbor. Where children play together. Where neighbors say hello not run in their houses and hide. Where you have holiday openhouses and potlucks.

Do these still exist?
My neighborhood is very much like this in Cary. I have neighbors that I have left my kids with, we carpool, go on vacations together and our children all play together. We also have tons of parties and potlucks. We also have neighbors that keep to themselves. I take it as their choice.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
There is no such thing as a neighborhood full of people you can trust. I don't mean that to sound harsh. It's just that people were probably more trusting back in the day. And then with that said, a neighborhood is not a constant. People come and go, and money talks, so anyone can move into a neighborhood. More money doesn't mean that the people will be nicer either. Some of the most socially inept people I have come across are medical doctors, and they make loads of money.

The only way you are going to find this is to try and move into an area where you know someone, and they know the neighborhood, or to try and meet the people in an area before closing on a house.

I guess I was to broad in my statement, I realize that you aren't going to be able to trust everyone anywhere. What I am trying to narrow down is more of an area where people socialize and want to know who their neighbors are, without just being "busybodies". I grew up in a city, and surprisingly enough, people there were more likely to say hello and help you out than those where I now live, in the suburbs. It seems that where I am now, which is pretty much a bedroom community, people see their neighbors and run to get into there houses or look the other way when they see you - sort of the "If I don't make eye contact, they wont see me" mentality. I don't want that for my family, call me selfish, but I want more.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM

169 posts, read 419,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
I guess I was to broad in my statement, I realize that you aren't going to be able to trust everyone anywhere. What I am trying to narrow down is more of an area where people socialize and want to know who their neighbors are, without just being "busybodies". I grew up in a city, and surprisingly enough, people there were more likely to say hello and help you out than those where I now live, in the suburbs. It seems that where I am now, which is pretty much a bedroom community, people see their neighbors and run to get into there houses or look the other way when they see you - sort of the "If I don't make eye contact, they wont see me" mentality. I don't want that for my family, call me selfish, but I want more.
Ha! Not selfish at all, that's a crazy thing to say! I think so much varies on the neighborhood. My neighborhood is very much like you describe, with a few exceptions that like to duck in if they see you My wife and I don't have kids yet, but I see parents and kids caravaning between houses a lot. Our neighbors ask favors of us, and us them, and it's no big deal.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I just reiterate my caution that while a group of 10 houses might be great people, one street over could easily be 10 nightmare neighbors. For that reason I would say that you will just have to play every house by ear, and not rely on recommendations that an entire subdivision is good. Make sense? Nothing wrong with doing some research here, but just make sure you double check the area if you are looking to close on a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary