Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM

547 posts, read 774,990 times

Advertisements

Getting worse, better? Any plans to improve it?

Looks like South in the afternoon looks bad as I follow through google maps. Looking to potentially buy a house up that way but not sure if the commute/traffic will get worst better.

I work near the Cary/Raleigh border and my wife will be working in West Cary so right now both of us have about a 25 min commute from the community we are thinking of building.

It's either that or raise our house budget and live closer or in-between where we work somewhere in Cary.

Just more looking to see what everyone thinks about the traffic on 55 if it will get worst or somehow they will improve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
It will get better once 540 is lengthened toward the east. Eventually there also will be another 540 exit SW of 55 and US1 which will additionally send more traffic to 540. If you can bypass 55 through Apex by taking 540, you will have a quicker trip.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:50 PM

5,344 posts, read 3,214,825 times
As they continue to build houses the traffic will get worse. The 540 extension is already connected to 55 and any improvement does not alleviate the traffic through the Target/Walmart area heading to/from Fuquay Varina. More houses being built down Avent Ferry Road, as well as the ones being built on the Fuquay border will continue to increase traffic on 55.

The problem is that we have a mayor and town council in over their heads trying to figure out traffic problems AFTER they allow construction. The 3 stoplights within 1500 feet of each other on Avent Ferry Rd. is a prime example. They've been TALKING about extending Main St. for years now. Always "we don't have the money" yet in that time we can build a multi-million dollar sports complex, build the Hunt Center facilities, as well as lay artificial turf all over Womble Park.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
"Regular" 55, or the bypass?

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
"Regular" 55, or the bypass?
The bypass, it looks like it just so backed up around Olive Garden to Avent Ferry Road...All I see is red and yellow on my google maps! right now.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
What BoSox said! The houses and developments are still coming on Avent Ferry and even though some steps are coming (Superstreet and widening Avent Ferry) it won't be enough in my opinion. As luv4horses mentioned, they announced additional 540 exits so if you were to live in the 12 Oaks area you'll be able to get to Route 1 that way once the exit is built. The next phase of 540 though going east is years in the future.

There are still parts of Holly Springs on the north side of town that have relatively good traffic and would be an easy commute to the Cary/Raleigh border. West Cary isn't bad off hours with 540 (20 minutes to Thomas Brooks from the Harris Teeter on Sunset Lake Road) but I don't know what that is like during rush hour.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:16 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
We need a sticky on this forum explaining the process of building roads in this state and how it is mostly the NCDOT and CAMPO (or the Durham and Orange equivalent) people need to get mad at when roads are not planned and built to their satisfaction. Yes, cities and towns can build roads and sometimes they do, but the vast majority are planned on a regional level and built on a state level.

http://www.campo-nc.us
http://www.dchcmpo.org

Old 08-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Distance wise it's not terrible, but curious how long commute adds to that corridor during rush hour. Ie does it take 20 mins (or double) to get through those lights

Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM

89 posts, read 104,525 times
I am around that section of road 3x a week between 4&8pm. It varies in how bad it is, but overall it does get very backed up from Avent Ferry back to before the Target shopping center. I think 10-15 minutes extra would be about right during rush hour. I was there today around 5:30 and took a pic for you. This is at the u turn light right after new hill/Holly springs rd. It was stopped right about at the Target and you can see the lights are green, but cars aren't moving. Seems pretty typical for that time of day.
Attached Thumbnails
55 traffic Holly Springs-_20150812_180127.jpg  

Old 08-12-2015, 05:21 PM

I did more investigating and it is also possible to bypass the bypass and take the regular 55. The potential house would be the Alston Ridge community right over the border in FV. Take 1 to 55 to regular 55 back to bypass.

I think I would just have to trial this out 1 day. I don't mind driving longer but not idle traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary