Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

I heard a rumor that Saturnfan was planning on hosting a welcoming party for incoming transplants soon, so that may be a great place to meet new people.......especially if it becomes a City Data meetup as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I heard a rumor that Saturnfan was planning on hosting a welcoming party for incoming transplants soon, so that may be a great place to meet new people.......especially if it becomes a City Data meetup as well.
That would be neat.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ew no. My canadian friend raves about poutine, but I'm not into the whole cheese or cheese curds on fries. The second that starts to harden, I stop eating.

Gravy in a cup on the side to dip in, is what I'm talking about. Nice big fries too, not the thin ones and not steak fries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Different from what he posted. I'd take the fries and gravy but definitely not with cheese!
Virtual high five!

I'm a she, btw

Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Are there many delis in the Raleigh area? Are sandwich places a thing?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

I'm a she, btw
Oooops, sorry!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaNY View Post
I've found in the past when relocating that yes, you need to surround yourself with locals, but it also helps the transition to know some people who are going through the same thing. Anyone headed to Raleigh in the upcoming weeks?

I'm in my late 30s, have lived in NYC for 20 years (but grew up in the suburbs and spent my summers in rural NC) and am excited for a change of pace to a small city.
Closing on a house in Raleigh 8/28 lived most of my life in NJ. Change is good and I am also excited.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Are there many delis in the Raleigh area? Are sandwich places a thing?
Most of the sandwich places I've seen around here are sub shops. There seems to be a Subway on every other block, along with other chains like Jimmy John's, Which Wich, etc.

There are chain delis like Schlotzky's and Jason's around. There are some independent delis. But (not surprisingly) none of the classic New York-style Jewish delis with knishes, matzo ball soup, etc.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Most of the sandwich places I've seen around here are sub shops. There seems to be a Subway on every other block, along with other chains like Jimmy John's, Which Wich, etc.

There are chain delis like Schlotzky's and Jason's around. There are some independent delis. But (not surprisingly) none of the classic New York-style Jewish delis with knishes, matzo ball soup, etc.
I have Jewish style delis around but I was wondering about a Boars Head cold cut sandwich kind of place. You could just get them yourself and make one but I was curious if it was popular there.

Maybe it's the places I've gone to but Subways cold cuts always seem rubbery to me.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
I have Jewish style delis around but I was wondering about a Boars Head cold cut sandwich kind of place. You could just get them yourself and make one but I was curious if it was popular there.

Maybe it's the places I've gone to but Subways cold cuts always seem rubbery to me.
I don't know of a lot of sub shops, or any, beyond the chains like Mike's. But you can get a Boar's Head sub at Harris Teeter, I think.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Different from what he posted. I'd take the fries and gravy but definitely not with cheese!
The southern version is hash browns, scattered and smothered, available at Waffle House - the 24-hour diner with free entertainment (the other customers, the cook, waitresses or all the above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary