Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSB_Chik View Post
As a Wilmington resident in the local hospitality industry, I figured I should put my 2 cents in. A lot of the beaches can get very crowded that weekend and a lot of the beaches don't have very much parking. This isn't to scare you away, but to make sure you have a head up especially if your bringing fido.

Wrighstville Beach- Will be very crowded with a lot of college students, locals, not much parking. Additionally, dogs are not allowed on the beach till October. There is the loop, which is a popular walking trail that has lots of locals jogging or walking their dogs. Blockade runner does not allow dogs, neither does the Holiday inn or Shell island. Some of the smaller individually owned hotels might allow them.

Carolina Beach- Usually a bit quieter, dogs can be on the beach with their leashes. they do have a small downtown area with a small boardwalk (Brits donuts are AMAZING!! make sure you try them while you here!)

Kure Beach- very similar to Carolina, they have a smaller downtown area than Carolina. Dogs are also welcomed

Fort Fisher- dogs can go year round on their leash, is a nice park with good parking. However, its far from everything else.

Surf City- In the middle of topsail and north topsail. Dogs must be on leash year round.

N. Topsail- Probably my favorite to get away from it all. It is a bit of a hike from Wilmington. But dogs are allowed off leash october-april.

I hope that helps with your trip out here. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Is Britts Donuts open after Labor Day? I was told the amusement park at Carolina beach is already closed for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm just jealous of everyone now as I sit here procrastinating going to work. What's Mr Rhythm doing these days? It's good that you guys travel often,we need to get up sometime. I haven't gone out anywhere at night in forever. When did I get this old?
Ack, I meant PogglyWoggly in my last post. I get ya'll mixed up sometimes - sorry bout that!

Cyn, Mr Rhythm is working this week, he just has a better office view! Thank you to the powers that be for good wifi here. I was able to schedule my work for auto posting this week but still have some to do. I hope you get some R&R soon!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
You will love the fact that the water is still very warm. I was there last weekend and it was a great day. (Easy day trip, there and back. I went to Wrightsville)

Being a holiday weekend, you're destination may be dictated by availability? After Labor Day, it should be much less crowded.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 99,167 times
Thanks, All - and particularly PoppyDog! I missed that url you first mentioned..

Looks like we'll spend most of the day at TopSail/Surf City with our Goldendoodle (Maggie), hope we can find a dog friendly place to sit (outside?) and have lunch. We need to circle through Wrightsville at the end of the day to see what everyone is talking about - maybe get some take out to eat as we head back to Raleigh.

Would it be a mistake to try and drive the bulk of the way there on Route 50 (instead of I40) to experience some of that rural drive that was mentioned earlier? Google maps seems to think Raleigh - Surf City would be an extra 20 minutes only. We'd be leaving Saturday morning (hopefully by 9am).

Thanks again for all the advice! Looking forward to seeing the sights....

Cheers,
LAR

Old 09-02-2015, 03:21 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
That's one great thing about our coast. The warm water. I have gone to the beach as late as October and been able to get in the ocean. Paid much less for the privilege too. Like over half the amount you would pay in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary