Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Motor vehicle deaths per capita in the US 1982: 18.9

Motor vehicle deaths per capita in the US 2013: 10.3

That's a 46% drop. Obviously there are a whole host of other factors such as vehicle safety standards and advances in technology; but it still makes the "back in my day we didn't have so and so and were just fine" a pretty weak argument IMO.

There are still people alive who were born before polio vaccinations too; doesn't mean polio vaccine hasn't saved millions of lives and made the general public healthier.
I'm just saying that as a somewhat young NC native, we didn't have state-paid drivers ed back in my day.

If you have some RELEVANT stats to NC, that tell us how NC state-paid drivers ed has statistically saved lives, then I for one am all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Paint and body shops are busy as could be. People still play bumper cars routinely. The equipment is just safer, more forgiving and contributes to survival rates as much as drivers' ed does.

Air bags upon air bags.
Lap and shoulder belts
Continuously improved handling and braking.
Crumple zones.
Improved lighting
Collapsible steering columns.
Phase-out of functionally deficient vehicles improving the safety of the overall fleet.
I don't argue with any of this...but even you yourself said these design features contribute as much as driver's ed. IE... educating drivers behind the wheel with a person trained to do IS valuable and has saved millions of lives over the past few decades as it has become more "mainstream".

Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm just saying that as a somewhat young NC native, we didn't have state-paid drivers ed back in my day.

If you have some RELEVANT stats to NC, that tell us how NC state-paid drivers ed has statistically saved lives, then I for one am all ears.
I'm sure if I could get STATA on my PC or if I felt like trudging down to Odum lab at UNC I could pretty easily run the #s from 20+ years worth of data to suggest that drivers ed has had a significant impact on the safety of roads in NC.

I think you may have a more difficult time finding stats to back up the anecdotal "33 years ago I didn't have this and I'm still fine" argument to suggest that it's not alarming that drivers ed is being cut.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

We had it in Greensboro in the mid-70's, and many, many other school systems did too.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I don't argue with any of this...but even you yourself said these design features contribute as much as driver's ed. IE... educating drivers behind the wheel with a person trained to do IS valuable and has saved millions of lives over the past few decades as it has become more "mainstream".
"...as much..."
Yes I did. It's a pretty good guess, but "as much as" is not limited to the total bazillions of lives saved by drivers' ed classes.
I sincerely question the claim that millions have been saved over the last 30 years due to drivers' ed.
Can you quantify more precisely, exactly how many millions of lives have been saved?
2 million a year?
30 million?
I think the number is much, much lower. I look at the charts in the link below, and just don't see how you can credit drivers' ed with the reductions you cite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year

If the country population is ~319 million, depending on whether you choose to include Donald Trump's non-constituents, how many times have each of us been saved by drivers' ed?

Historically, ~50% of traffic deaths are attributed to drunk/impaired driving. Is that an educational or equipment failing?
MADD efforts and much stricter law enforcement have served as the "educational" providers, as much as anything else.

I support drivers' ed, and took it myself, but the value is overstated, IMO.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
We had it in Greensboro in the mid-70's, and many, many other school systems did too.
I'm sure that you'll have no problem telling us when it was a statewide budget item then. That will make Nick feel much better as well.

Which, by the way, I wonder why this is in the RDCH forum anyway, since it's clearly a state of NC topic.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmeister View Post
Does anyone know of private driving schools that can provide the behind the wheel portion for teenagers? My daughter completed the classroom part but everything was suspended before she was scheduled for the driving portion. We're in limbo now...
Driver's Ed is taught by Jordan Driving School and still will be, now you just have to contact them directly and pay out of pocket.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Sounds like a wise financial move to me.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 PM

You're right, why should we care? The only thing that really matters is that taxes are low. Everything will just fall into place perfectly as long as the property taxes are lower here than they are in the northeast.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM

NC doesn't collect a property tax.

I was reminded by a friend today that the first presidential primaries are more than 6 months from now, and Nov 2016 - when that next election will be - is 15 months away. That's also an entire federal and state budget(actually 2 of course) away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary