Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of a possible relocation from Austin to NC in a couple years. I want to be closer to my daughter and other family in the NE but not deal with the difficult winters and I have always had a love for the Carolinas.

We are looking for an esablished neighborhood within an hour or so from NC State. We will be empty nesters by then so don't need anything huge but want a neighborhood with character. I don't mind newer construction but would really like a neighborhood with lots of trees, which is why I usually like the more established areas. Our budget will be $350k-$450k. I would like to be within 10-15 minutes from amenities like Target, Coffee places, etc. Closer would be nice but not necessary. Love the library, cute shopping areas, good restuarants (not pricey, just good). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Everywhere in the Triangle is "within an hour of NC State". Have you paid a visit here? I would guess not (so how do you know you want to move here? )

Cameron Park is the most "established" neighborhood really close (walking distance) to NCSU and also to a nice shopping center with most of the things you mention including a library, but again, literally anywhere in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc is 'within an hour of NC State'. You should have more specific criteria (based on first-hand knowledge of the area) to ask about if you are looking for a workable list to start from.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
The nicer looking neighborhoods near NC state are pretty expensive, generally over 500K and up to much more. The so-so neighborhoods are a mixed bag of tidy and not so tidy houses. You might want to be a little farther away than walking distance to NCSU. South Raleigh is nice and growing all the time. But there are decent townhouses and apartments closer to the university, although probably full of students.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Since you are empty nesters and schools do not matter, to be centrally located, I would look in and around the Southpoint area with a nod to Old Hope Valley.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Since you are empty nesters and schools do not matter, to be centrally located, I would look in and around the Southpoint area with a nod to Old Hope Valley.
Is there much available in Old Hope Valley in the $350,000 to $450,000 range?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Is there much available in Old Hope Valley in the $350,000 to $450,000 range?
Old Hope Valley is more expensive than the newer parts, however there are houses for sale in that price range. Check Zillow. 3442 Rugby Rd, Durham, NC 27707 is For Sale | Zillow

Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Old Hope Valley is more expensive than the newer parts, however there are houses for sale in that price range. Check Zillow. 3442 Rugby Rd, Durham, NC 27707 is For Sale | Zillow
That house is $469,000. I think the OP will have trouble finding anything in OHV in their price range.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I'd take a look at the neighborhoods around the corner of Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway. Walk to Trader Joe's, coffee shops, and restaurants. Short bike ride to Whole Foods, Walmart, and more shopping. 10-minute drive to Target and even more shopping.

Example of the type of house you can find in your price range around that intersection: https://www.redfin.com/NC/Cary/104-T.../home/41173907

Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 AM

137 posts, read 241,635 times
Raleigh is the city that will not beat you down like a "city" does. Everywhere I have been around NC State was more like a community; rather than a cluster fusk of lost wandering people. Even in this extreme pine Forrest that the area is located in; Everything any educated modest person could ever want is easily accessed in this southern cornucopia. Not to mention....Washington DC is only four hours from here...the Ocean is two...The mountains are Two/Three.

In Texas, one must drive extreme distances for anything other than rich guy ranches and suburbs.

Here; we still have diversity.

That is all.

Oh and Amtrak runs to NYC.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times
Just the advice I wanted StaticMedia, thank you. And yes, Francois, I have visited both North and South Carolina but never with the intent to look for a home. I have no doubt I will be able to acclimate. We moved from Southern California to Austin, Texas sight unseen. I had never been to Texas in my life! It was a job relocation so we made the jump, and though we enjoy Texas, we want to be on the east coast closer to family. My son will be going to NC State to play baseball so we would like to be within a couple hours from there in order to go to his games. We have also been looking at Charlotte. Once again thank you for any constructive information you can share on the Triangle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary