Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:34 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethat View Post

It's apparent that making housing more affordable for people at lower or middle incomes isn't a big priority or even a real issue to some, but I would think that many would be interested attracting the kinds of residents and businesses that make communities more vibrant instead of stagnating when neighboring areas are generating so much excitement.
Maybe not for "some"...but it is for enough leaders and community members in Chapel Hill to make this a reality; Community Home Trust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:41 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Maybe not for "some"...but it is for enough leaders and community members in Chapel Hill to make this a reality; Community Home Trust
Not to mention this:

"The importance of this issue (affordable housing) is reflected in the Town's Comprehensive Plan that includes an explicit goal of, "creating a range of housing options for current and future residents.""

Town of Chapel Hill, NC : Affordable Housing Policy

I'm also intersted in hearing from the OP how Chapel Hill is "stagnating". Rising housing costs aren't typically associated with a stagnating community.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Have we changed the topic of conversation from "two professional income housing" to affordable housing? Because the town is CONSTANTLY working on affordable housing such as the 140 unit affordable housing project just approved for Legion Road.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Have we changed the topic of conversation from "two professional income housing" to affordable housing? Because the town is CONSTANTLY working on affordable housing such as the 140 unit affordable housing project just approved for Legion Road.
That's good to see and thanks for pointing out that housing advocates and the town are working on this situation.

The key phrase is "professional income" housing since that implies only white collar people are going to be able to afford to live in a community. As has been stated, Chapel Hill isn't alone in that regard, and yes, market forces have a huge role in prices, but it's a valid discussion for the OP to bring up in terms of what people envision in their community and what gives it a positive, open vibe.

Having a place for workforce housing, for the teachers, police officers, fire fighters, and other service workers who keep the economy ticking is something worth exploring. I think what the OP was alluding to was that a true sense of community is tied to making a place for everyone who are making a positive contribution to the community, not just those in high dollar career paths.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
These posts about how affordable Chapel Hill is are priceless.

Let them eat cake!
No money left to buy cake, after buying the house.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
If you want affordable housing, merge Chapel Hill and Orange schools and let people build trailer parks. .
Chapel Hill and Carrboro have plenty of trailer parks already. No need to build new ones.

You can also find single family homes in the $200ks and even the $100ks. Will your dollar go farther in Durham or Garner or Hillsborough? Yep, but that doesn't mean that a couple with "two professional salaries" couldn't find a nice house they could afford in Chapel Hill, too.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This is such a pointless comment.

Who is claiming Chapel Hill is some sort of exceptionally affordable town? It's actually below the national average in COL and only a couple points higher on the same scale compared to most of the rest of the triangle.....but nobody is claiming it's a bargain or that it isn't more expensive than most other areas of NC.

A family of 4 with two working professionals can DEFINITELY afford to own a home in Chapel Hill; it just won't be as new or large as homes in other areas of the region. The same holds true for ITB Raleigh yet I don't see multiple threads using the tired "let them eat cake" argument referencing that.

It's called supply and demand. The two biggest draws of demand to live in Chapel Hill/Carrboro are the smaller school district and the walkability/ quasi-urbane ascetic that one doesn't find a ton of in the Triangle as a whole.

Both of those factors make it so large scale annexing and huge developments that happen in Wake Co. to increase "supply" aren't really options. The demand is still there; so prices are higher. You'll find similar patterns in ITB Raleigh, a bunch of neighborhoods south of "Uptown" Charlotte, and in metro areas all over the country.

I get that most middle-income Triangle homebuyers would prefer this

2312 Verdant Court, Wake Forest, NC | Fonville Morisey Real Estate

over this.

103 Baywood Place, Chapel Hill, NC | Fonville Morisey Real Estate

But the first option is definitely "doable" for a young family.

Not being able to get a brand new 2000 sq ft + house with all the bells and whistles for $250k isn't exactly being "priced out"
Add in one caveat. Intentionally limiting the growth of housing stock so as to ensure demand always outpaces supply by a tidy amount, manipulates and amplifies the so-called free market supply and demand economics. Result equals higher prices when comparing apples to apples.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's good to see and thanks for pointing out that housing advocates and the town are working on this situation.

The key phrase is "professional income" housing since that implies only white collar people are going to be able to afford to live in a community. As has been stated, Chapel Hill isn't alone in that regard, and yes, market forces have a huge role in prices, but it's a valid discussion for the OP to bring up in terms of what people envision in their community and what gives it a positive, open vibe.

Having a place for workforce housing, for the teachers, police officers, fire fighters, and other service workers who keep the economy ticking is something worth exploring. I think what the OP was alluding to was that a true sense of community is tied to making a place for everyone who are making a positive contribution to the community, not just those in high dollar career paths.
Really?! 'Cause I didn't get that at all from what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethat View Post
While Durham has managed to attract the young families, entrepreneurs, and members of the creative class who seem vital to building a strong community and quality of life for everyone, it seems Chapel Hill has been doing everything it can to keep those people out. Our friends with very young children would consider eventually moving to Chapel Hill for the schools but can't afford it (even on two professional salaries)...
I used to think the weak sense of community was a Southern thing, but the excitement and dedication in Durham makes me think it has more to do with the lack of commitment residents have to the area.
I still don't get why Chapel Hill can't figure out how to build more housing in the $150-$350k range. Is it really entirely in the hands of developers? Are residents or city council members getting in the way of middle-class housing? Are there any plans or at least a wide-spread desire to do anything about it?
You're getting teachers, police officers, and fire-fighters out of "young families, entrepreneurs, creative class" and "two professional salaries"?!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 PM

14 posts, read 28,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm also intersted in hearing from the OP how Chapel Hill is "stagnating". Rising housing costs aren't typically associated with a stagnating community.
I don't think rising housing costs are the same thing as social capital or are indicative of a sense of community. What I meant by that comment was that Durham and Hillsborough are attracting the kinds of people who are very interested in establishing a sense of community, as well as individuals, organizations, and businesses that create a distinctive culture and add to the quality of life for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really?! 'Cause I didn't get that at all from what the OP said:

You're getting teachers, police officers, and fire-fighters out of "young families, entrepreneurs, creative class" and "two professional salaries"?!
I think ensuring that the teachers, police officers, and firefighters can live where they work is also essential to building a sense of community because of the central roles they play. I noted that friends couldn't find housing that fit their needs to make the point that it's hard for young, dual-income families with good salaries to move here; I imagine there are a lot of barriers for others as well.

I get the feeling that some residents like the idea of high housing costs "keeping out the riff-raff," but to me that means having to go elsewhere to enjoy the area's best and most interesting parks, restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and events in the future. Other areas in the Triangle are also more attractive to new businesses. If all the desirable jobs and amenities pop up in neighboring cities and towns, then Chapel Hill seems at risk of becoming a sleepy bedroom community that people feel they have to live in for the schools or safety or proximity to jobs at UNC, but aren't committed to or excited about living in.

I agree with this quote from an Indy article earlier this year:

Kleinschmidt says the town will have to redouble its efforts. "Otherwise, we'll be a town of which many of our critics already see us. We will be a town of college students and retirees and that is it."

http://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/after...nt?oid=4359077

Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 PM

43 posts, read 53,785 times
I live in Chapel Hill, have a family, and might be considered a member of the "creative class" (silly phrase). I doubt I will ever buy a house here because 1) Much of it is expensive, and 2) much of the architecture here is just really ugly (architects had strange ideas in the 70's and 80's).

There are quite a few houses here under $300,000. However, townhouses are also really affordable and even though it punctures my dream of owning a single family home, I remind myself that if I were to move to NYC or SF, I'd be living in a little shoebox apartment. A middle class family can definitely live here, but it's less likely to be whatever vision the OP has in his head of what a middle class community is supposed to look like.

Last edited by Shoes-on-fire; 08-24-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary