Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh: airport commute, small to medium-sized home, urban environments, galleries, boutiques

Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 PM

11 posts, read 69,973 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, possible transplant here from Columbus, Ohio. I've heard many positive things about Raleigh and am anxious to learn more about this area. I could use your help!

I'll be working at the airport (most likely) and don't want a horrendously loooong commute -- 45 minutes or less would be good.

I'm a single male (30s) looking for a small to medium-sized home, 1200-2000 square feet. I'm attracted to more urban environments although my club hopping days are behind me. Not a suburban type at all. I'm attracted to older homes with character, gentrified urban areas, etc. Since I'm currently single income only, I'm looking for homes in the 125-150K range.

If anyone reading is familiar with Columbus, I'm interested in areas around Raleigh that are similar to German/Victorian/Italian/Merion Villages. I like galleries, boutique shopping, coffee houses, the arts, and progressive-minded individuals

Also, while I certainly may rent a year before making any purchases, I'd love to browse homes in the area now just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any help, and I'm HAPPY to answer any additional questions which might help narrow down what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM

176 posts, read 645,575 times
Hmmm... I'm not sure if you'll find anything quite like that here. That part of Columbus is really unique. (I've never lived in Columbus, but had lots of friends at the OSU) Carrboro sounds like it might be a good fit for you, but I think the commute might be bad. (Check on Google maps or Mapquest). Carrboro is much smaller than Columbus, but has a similar feel as what you described (although I'd have to say it's not as "upscale") Otherwise, Durham might work for you. (Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, etc. There are lots of threads on these areas of Durham) The only thing I'm not sure of is if you'd be able to find a house in that price range in Carrboro or that part of Durham. Maybe a fixer-upper...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivix898 View Post
I'm attracted to older homes with character, gentrified urban areas, etc. Since I'm currently single income only, I'm looking for homes in the 125-150K range.
I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but most if not all of the historic areas that have already gone through what I consider the gentrification process are already valued at quite bit more than that price range (Think more like $260K-$750K). I am was in the same price range as you and would be living in one of the Historic Areas already if that price point could have afforded me to. I’m not saying it is impossible, you might find something that needs a lot of renovations in that price range in a transitional area that may improve in a few years, but you will have to keep a sharp eye out for something like that because the areas that show the most promise are already known to the investors and I imagine and you will have to compete with the pros who do the “fix and flip”. You may also want to consider looking for a condo in an area called Cameron Village. That area offers a unique living expereince and might be possible in that price range if an older condo is an option

That being said, here are some threads with links to pictures of some of the Historic neighborhoods in Downtown Raleigh and Durham.

FWIW, rental opportunities are available in some of those areas so while you may not be able to afford to buy, you might be able to rent there while you do your search. Your best bet to find rentals in historic areas is to drive through them looking for signs and checking Craig’s list.

Good Luck!

Trinity Park ~ Downtown Durham
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nity-park.html

Watts-Hillandale & 9th Street ~ Downtown Durham
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...th-street.html

Oakwood ~ Downtown Raleigh
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-raleigh.html

Five Points Hayes Barton Area ~ Downtown Raleigh
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...es-barton.html

Mordecai ~ Downtown Raleigh
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ghborhood.html

Boylan Heights ~ Downtown Raleigh
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-raleigh.html

Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 69,973 times
Thanks to both of your for your help. I must say I am a bit disappointed -- actually, very much so. I'm now hoping the move doesn't take place.

I've done a couple hours' worth of research here in this forum and really haven't found anyone asking the same kind of question I have. (I'm sure someone has, but my eyes began to hurt and I had to stop!) I read the long "don't be so down on Durham" thread. In fact there are lots of threads about Durham, and as I did a bit of searching on Buy a home. Sell your home. Find a real estate agent. Real Living., I did notice homes in my price range -- but nothing that says "that's me" on the exterior.

It's especially a bit disappointing because, at least according to cnn.com, the cost of living overall (housing as well) is supposed to be less in Raleigh/Durham. There are homes here in Columbus, in neighborhoods gentrifying, that are still available to me in my price range.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
A co-worker came here from Columbus on a detail in 1992 and still loves Raleigh.

It's a nice place to rent if buying isn't in your financial picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary