Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 AM

12 posts, read 43,218 times

Advertisements

I was wondering... wold US$25 per hour (about $3,375 a month) be enough for live with my wife, comfortably in Raleigh?

does anyone know how much wold I need to pay (directly from may paycheck) of tax (federal + ss, state and city) ?

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
I would think you could live on that with just the two of you. I know plenty of people living on that or less in Albany, NY where I currently live, and the cost of living in Raliegh is less. We are moving there in a couple months. There is no way that anyone can tell you exactly what will be taken out for taxes because it depends on your deductions and such. I'm sure people could give you a good estimate, but just figure you are giving up about 1/4 to 1/3 for taxes.

One thing you need to also look into is medical insurance. I don't know how the country you are in works, but the US is not a socialized medicine country, so you need to pay for you own medical insurance, if your employer doesn't provide it. Some employers offer it, but you still have to contribute income to it.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
YEs, that would be enough.

My hubby and I lived lived on WAY less for many years.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I would think you could live on that with just the two of you. I know plenty of people living on that or less in Albany, NY where I currently live, and the cost of living in Raliegh is less. We are moving there in a couple months. There is no way that anyone can tell you exactly what will be taken out for taxes because it depends on your deductions and such. I'm sure people could give you a good estimate, but just figure you are giving up about 1/4 to 1/3 for taxes.

One thing you need to also look into is medical insurance. I don't know how the country you are in works, but the US is not a socialized medicine country, so you need to pay for you own medical insurance, if your employer doesn't provide it. Some employers offer it, but you still have to contribute income to it.
First of all, thank you for your reply!

I'm aware of the needed of medical insurance in US, but, thanks for the tip anyway...

So, the thing is that I don't know how to estimate how much wold I lost in my paycheck for taxes and the point here is just to have an idea.. maybe someone with a similar paycheck could help me to deduce my own values...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
YEs, that would be enough.

My hubby and I lived lived on WAY less for many years.
Nice to know!
Do you how can I calculate my tax deduce for living in Raleigh?

Thank you both once again..

Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
You can figure about 33% of your paycheck will go to taxes. I think that is the average. That does not include any deductions for healthcare or a retirement savings (401k) or anything like that...

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I believe you can find a tax calculator via the IRS website at 2008 Withholding Calculator, at least for the federal part. Then you'd have to decuct NC taxes, and you'd be at the lower end for that--check here: Tax Rate Schedule for Tax Year 2007

Then there's social security--of course, if you're not a US citizen, I'm not sure how that affects your tax situation.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Then there's social security--of course, if you're not a US citizen, I'm not sure how that affects your tax situation.
Everyone has to pay Social Security taxes - even if you're not an American citizen & will not receive SS benefits.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM

The problem is that I don´t even know which taxes I need to pay....

Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Are you coming on a work visa? Can your company help you?

Federal income tax - see the withholding chart. Usually married with the number of people in the household as deductions. Then at the end of the year you calculate your income tax and hopefully the withholding is close.

Social Security - 7.65% I think.

State income tax - around 4 %. Dont know if there is a county income tax where you might be living.

This will give you a good clue as to the normal withholding for income tax.

"living comfortably" can have widely different meanings to people.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Are you coming on a work visa? Can your company help you?

Federal income tax - see the withholding chart. Usually married with the number of people in the household as deductions. Then at the end of the year you calculate your income tax and hopefully the withholding is close.

Social Security - 7.65% I think.

State income tax - around 4 %. Dont know if there is a county income tax where you might be living.

This will give you a good clue as to the normal withholding for income tax.

"living comfortably" can have widely different meanings to people.
That was really helpful!
I'll live/work in Raleigh and I've a work visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary