Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM

63 posts, read 145,337 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what the future development plans are for the Highway 70 area north of the Brier Creek area? I know the Brightleaf at the Park subdivision is there, as is the newer Carolina Arbors development. There's quite a bit of shopping already in Brier Creek but there's still a lot of undeveloped land up that way. Anyone with a crystal ball want to predict what that area will look like in 10 years?

Apologies if this has been discussed to death, I searched and didn't quite find what I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 PM

307 posts, read 377,367 times
I had been looking into this recently because I was looking at some houses in that area. From what I could gather that area originally had plans for some big box stores to go in such as a Lowe's but then when the economy tanked those plans got shelved. It doesn't seem like construction on that has picked back up but I do think that area along 70 will continue to grow over time as Durham grows and the Southpoint area fills in. Not sure how long until that area really gets going though.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Most of that land is already developed. There are a handful of apartment complexes along that stretch of Hwy 70, along with many furniture stores. Can't rip down every square inch of undeveloped land for more sprawl, hopefully Hwy 70 will remain the same. You really can't do much up there due to Umstead anyway. In 10 years, I don't think it'll look different. For that category, look at eastern Chatham County which will gradually become more suburban as time goes by. Also, maybe the stretch of Hwy 70 past Brier Creek in Durham County. Northwest Raleigh can't really build up more.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 07-23-2015 at 07:20 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:21 PM

Just to clarify, I'm wondering about the area north of Brier Creek, up where the "Brightleaf at the Park" neighborhood is. The area around where Leesville hits 70.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I know th area you are talking about. I live a few minutes up Sherron Road from there. There are plenty of strip malls south of that area. I don't think the area can support too much more of that. It might not be a bad idea to leave it alone for now.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chime View Post
Just to clarify, I'm wondering about the area north of Brier Creek, up where the "Brightleaf at the Park" neighborhood is. The area around where Leesville hits 70.

My bad! Yes, that area will eventually become more developed. In fact, I'm a little surprised it isn't more developed in the first place. Back when RTP came to town, areas along these lines should have been the first to be developed. However, tons of folks seem to prefer Raleigh over Durham because of negative stereotypes they've heard. I doubt this is the only reason, but it is interesting how the areas of northwest Wake County are developed west of Hwy 50 (Norwood Road, Leesville Road) while the areas right across the border in Durham County are more rural. There's a big difference between driving on Leesville Road in Wake County and driving on Leesville in Durham County.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
My bad! Yes, that area will eventually become more developed. In fact, I'm a little surprised it isn't more developed in the first place.
Exactly! I figured something might be "in the works" for this area, if maybe just stalled by the economy. From a purely logistical standpoint it seems like a well situated area with easy-ish access to both RTP and downtown Durham.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:26 AM

17 posts, read 34,736 times
I know most of us who live in Brightleaf would really like a new grocery store to open in the area. Had heard that Harris Teeter was going to build down by TW Alexander and 70, but no signs of construction. The lack of a decent grocery store is the one drawback to the area; otherwise we really love Brightleaf because it's so convenient to everything - 10 minutes to RDU, 15 minutes to Southpoint, 10-15 minutes to Brier Creek, 10-15 minutes to DPAC and the ball park. Of course, with Fendol Farms opening, we might finally get a grocery store. However, there is the problem of Durham Schools, but since you get much more house there for less money, you can afford to send your kids to private.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
My bad! Yes, that area will eventually become more developed. In fact, I'm a little surprised it isn't more developed in the first place. Back when RTP came to town, areas along these lines should have been the first to be developed. However, tons of folks seem to prefer Raleigh over Durham because of negative stereotypes they've heard. I doubt this is the only reason, but it is interesting how the areas of northwest Wake County are developed west of Hwy 50 (Norwood Road, Leesville Road) while the areas right across the border in Durham County are more rural. There's a big difference between driving on Leesville Road in Wake County and driving on Leesville in Durham County.
Part of the reason for a rural feel in this area of Durham is as you mention -- the negativity about Durham, an attitude that is changing, but will take a while to totally unwind.

Another, less-appreciated reason: water flows from highest points to lowest points, and in NC, generally in a southeastern direction, from the Piedmont through ENC to the ocean.

That part of Durham is immediately upstream of Falls Lake, so Raleigh drinking water quality trumps growth in much of eastern and northern Durham County.

A true Wake Co. partisan would note that the portion of Durham Co. in question was actually part of Wake, subdivided from the county when Durham Co. was carved out of Orange Co. in the 1800s.

A Durham partisan, like me, will grouse that while Raleigh and Wake have been quick to support the water quality rules for Falls Lake and the concomitant restrictions on east/north Durham growth, Wake folks seemingly have no problem with Frankie Eagles' Rolesville suburban expansion efforts, despite _that_ being right on the edge of a future Wake Co. reservoir; or with Cay-ree and its neighbors bulking all up along the east side of Jordan Lake with nutrient-filled golf courses and chem-lots, even as Durhamites fight development in the NC 751 corridor to protect your Jordan water quality.

</grumpy>

Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsjthree View Post
I know most of us who live in Brightleaf would really like a new grocery store to open in the area. Had heard that Harris Teeter was going to build down by TW Alexander and 70, but no signs of construction. The lack of a decent grocery store is the one drawback to the area; otherwise we really love Brightleaf because it's so convenient to everything - 10 minutes to RDU, 15 minutes to Southpoint, 10-15 minutes to Brier Creek, 10-15 minutes to DPAC and the ball park. Of course, with Fendol Farms opening, we might finally get a grocery store. However, there is the problem of Durham Schools, but since you get much more house there for less money, you can afford to send your kids to private.
Residents of Brier Creek Country Club would agree with this (exceot I personally would prefer a Kroger rather than Harris Teeter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary