Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post

Still, I would love it if a team came here!
I would like it OK if an American League team came.

But, I would love it if a National League team came. They play baseball as it should be played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You don't seem to understand the concept of getting people into a ballpark for weeknight or, God-forbid, weekday afternoon games could be a problem, when you're talking about 80 games.

Now, when they can get the high-speed rail going, that's a different story. People do that in the Northeast corridor.
No I get it and its an interesting concept

It still precludes why Charlotte made the MLB list in the first place I mean I just assume they understand these factors.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
They play baseball as it should be played.
Baseball should be played
- on grass
- during the day (but I will grudgingly accept night games)
- with wooden bats
- with the pitchers batting

Also,
no obnoxious music every second the ball is not in play
no intra-league play

Two new stupid things are clocks and the rule about the batter getting to chose which way to bat (vs the "amphibious" pitcher).

Other than that, I think Bud Selig did a great job as commissioner.

I remember being in Atlanta during the "lean years" when the Durham Bulls actually had more fans for a game than the Braves did. If it wasn't for Aaron, Neikro and few others, no one would have gone to the games, as they were terrible.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
we dont need any more minor league

we need a major league

there isn't a MLB team in the carolinas........

....and there never will be.

They tried to get the public interested once before, in a team around Greensboro. It went over as well as a lead zeppelin!

The Triangle in particular is a diehard 9-5 community. MLB plays a lot of day games, and with such a long schedule, people simply won't sit in a stadium until 9pm 3 or 4 nights a week. You'd get GREAT support when the Red Sox and Yankees came to town, and nobody would go watch when any other team came through. Never going to happen.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
You need to look at a multitude of factors including, but not limited to, population density, corporate dollars (i.e. how many Fortune 500 companies in metro area), and how many other teams from the "big 4" leagues are already in the metro area (i.e. is the sports dollar spread too thin).

Football seems to be the "easiest" to get support, since there are only 8 home games and 2 pre-season home games to attend (not including possible playoff games), and like someone else mentioned the games are mostly on Sunday afternoons. So you can have season ticket holders, say for the Carolina Panthers, live in Charleston, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, the Triad, the Triangle, Asheville, pretty much anywhere throughout SC and NC. For baseball, depending on where the team is located, you won't have that.

I think when Charlotte Metro gets up to 3.5 million people, they will be able to support a MLB team.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Baseball should be played
- on grass
- during the day (but I will grudgingly accept night games)
- with wooden bats
- with the pitchers batting

Also,
no obnoxious music every second the ball is not in play
no intra-league play

Two new stupid things are clocks and the rule about the batter getting to chose which way to bat (vs the "amphibious" pitcher).

Other than that, I think Bud Selig did a great job as commissioner.

I remember being in Atlanta during the "lean years" when the Durham Bulls actually had more fans for a game than the Braves did. If it wasn't for Aaron, Neikro and few others, no one would have gone to the games, as they were terrible.
And all the fellows in the stands wear suits and the game is in black and white.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
....and there never will be.

They tried to get the public interested once before, in a team around Greensboro. It went over as well as a lead zeppelin!

The Triangle in particular is a diehard 9-5 community. MLB plays a lot of day games, and with such a long schedule, people simply won't sit in a stadium until 9pm 3 or 4 nights a week. You'd get GREAT support when the Red Sox and Yankees came to town, and nobody would go watch when any other team came through. Never going to happen.
There really aren't a large number of businessman's specials. It would be a flop until you get the high-speed rail going, at least in NC. The businessman specials are in the summer, when schools are out. They can be a family outing.

For roughly 80 games, Charlotte makes more sense than Raleigh. They are more likely to draw more people from SC than Raleigh can draw from VA. It's just that simple.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:37 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
No I get it and its an interesting concept

It still precludes why Charlotte made the MLB list in the first place I mean I just assume they understand these factors.
Charlotte made the list because it's almost there & there isn't an imminent expansion. If a team came up for relocation next week it should go to Montreal.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Switch-hitting is new?

The Pat Venditte thing was pretty funny, but remember they say that baseball is slow enough.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
SO what are the threshold numbers for a MLB team?

Anyway

Kansas city has a team, the royals

Kansas City/Population
467,007 (2013)

Raleigh/Population
431,746 (2013)

Durham/Population
245,475 (2013)

RDU BIGGER THAN KC

Charlotte/Population
792,862 (2013)

Pittsburgh/Population
305,841 (2013)

pittsburgh has a team

ST LOUIS HAS TEAM

St. Louis/Population
318,416 (2013)

BLATIMORE HAS A TEAM

Baltimore/Population
622,104 (2013)
(SMALLER THAN CHARLOTTE)

SO YEAH WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WE ARE TOO SMALL FOR MLB?????

These are populations for only within the city limits of these locations. In many cities, the geographical city limits are ridiculously small (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore). The populations you've shown are only the number of people who happen to live within these arbitrary borders. But every one of these areas have enormous suburban areas that dwarf the actual city population. This metropolitan population is what's important in determining feasibility for having a major league franchise. That is the pool of people from which attendance is drawn from, not just those who live within the city boundaries. Seriously, St. Louis routinely draws over 43,000 people per game. That would be 13.5% of the city residents attending EVERY Cardinals game. See how silly that sounds to report St. Louis' city population?

Let's look at Metro numbers instead (from 2010 census):

St. Louis: 2,787,000
Pittsburgh: 2,356,000
Kansas City: 2,009,000
Baltimore : 2,710,000

Charlotte: 2,217,000
Raleigh/Durham: 1,913,000

No doubt that Charlotte is large enough to be considered for a MLB team. Perhaps Raleigh as well. But that's not the issue. Comparing long established baseball fanbases to up-and-coming areas that have no baseball history and are comprised of many first generation transplants is impossible to do solely on a population to population basis. First generation transplants typically stick with rooting for the teams from where they came from.

There's been only 4 franchises added in the past 35 years, and right now there are 30 MLB franchises - a nice number that breaks down well into 6 divisions. Without MLB expanding their number of franchises, an existing franchise owner would need to see some great advantage in moving from their current location to a new (unproven) one. A franchise really needs to AVERAGE at least 25,000 fans per game over the course of 81 home games. That's a lot harder than it sounds. Two of the last 4 expansion teams are currently/historically at the bottom of MLB attendance figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary