Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:07 PM

2,838 posts, read 2,950,565 times

Advertisements

While the triangle has some largish and evangelical churches I don't think of it similar to deeper south cities like Charlotte or South Carolina areas.

Would one say the bible belt stops with us?

Does anybody here still even go to church every week?

What would you like to see happen here vis a vis churches?

I live in the Western triangle and hardly encounter christian anything except driving by churches and they don't even have those..uhh.. thought provoking front yard signs. I take that back I love listening to Durham NPR on Sunday (awesome gospel even if you don't like gospel check it out it's amazing).

I grew up Presbyterian and have on my agenda to start going back its just really hard to get up and go Sunday morning when its one of your 2 days off a week I'm sorry Jesus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:22 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,446,051 times
It's definitely got its bible thumpers. Friend of mine from work goes every Sunday and Wednesday without fail, and donates 10% of his check to his church...and we don't make a whole lot of money. He's a 27 year old virgin and has never been drunk. He sits next to this older lady who is equally as religious and is always wearing these long ass skirts, talks like one of those black ministers or whatever. Plenty more. Luckily now I live in Chapelboro, where people are a bit smarter.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:25 PM

530 posts, read 632,519 times
Obviously there are still lots of religious people to be found, but it is certainly true the triangle area is probably one of the least bible belty areas in the entire South. Makes sense, it is also one of the most liberal and educated areas in the South and those things tend to correlate.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,328,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Obviously there are still lots of religious people to be found, but it is certainly true the triangle area is probably one of the least bible belty areas in the entire South. Makes sense, it is also one of the most liberal and educated areas in the South and those things tend to correlate.
And has a very high percentage on of non-natives.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
It's definitely got its bible thumpers. Friend of mine from work goes every Sunday and Wednesday without fail, and donates 10% of his check to his church...and we don't make a whole lot of money. He's a 27 year old virgin and has never been drunk. He sits next to this older lady who is equally as religious and is always wearing these long ass skirts, talks like one of those black ministers or whatever. Plenty more. Luckily now I live in Chapelboro, where people are a bit smarter.
What do people's personal conservative lifestyle choices have to do with intelligence? Smh...

Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,403,905 times
I think it goes on up to Lynchburg.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:55 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,211,043 times
Let's see what city-data stats have to say about it:

------

Religion statistics for Raleigh city (based on Wake County data)
Religions Adherents In 2010
Evangelical Protestant: 18.3%
Mainline Protestant: 11.0%
Catholic: 11.0%
Other: 4.0%
Black Protestant: 1.8%
Orthodox: 0.3%
None: 53.6%
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...#ixzz3kFtM3VsY

Religion statistics for Charlotte city (based on Mecklenburg County data)
Religions Adherents In 2010
Evangelical Protestant: 22.2%
Mainline Protestant: 15.1%
Catholic: 8.6%
Black Protestant: 2.9%
Other: 2.3%
Orthodox: 0.9%
None: 48.1%
None: 442,262
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...#ixzz3kFtddraq

Old 08-29-2015, 08:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,073,937 times
I would say there's a gap; certainly folks north of highway 98 going up into southern VA some of y'all would call "bible thumpers"

I attend church on most Sundays (about 45 a year) but that's not how I define my faith. In my personal opinion, if you believe, or are led to believe by others, that attendance is the measure of your faith then that's very misguided.

I have no idea what the "what would you like to see from churches" is supposed to mean or garner as a response.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM

530 posts, read 632,519 times
And that's Raleigh, unsurprisingly Durham(58% non-religious) and Chapel Hill(56% non-religious) are even higher according to that data.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 PM

235 posts, read 184,959 times
Also it's important to understand, that any data like that which comes from census, surveys etc. is often a case of someone ticking a box just because their family history dates back to a particular religious preference. It does not indicate a belief in any god necessarily or any semblance of an attendance of a church session by the survey respondent. Some people just call themselves catholic or baptist or whatever because their grandma told them that's what "their family is" but they don't really drink the full kool-aid so to speak. I really would ignore that data.

There have been many articles published about this in recent years -- by and large our nation is no longer subscribing to the notion of organized religion. Some people like to attend church as a social event / a place to meet others, and are willing to give up some of their income to be a part of that just like a gym or country club membership.

If folks get some sort of happiness out of it, why not? Ok aside from the fact that religious differences and the passionate defense of "my way is right because my god says so" tends to create divides that lead to global war and what not... but I mean as a general hobby if people want to spend their money on that as a way to make friends or feel happier about their lives, I don't see a problem with it as long as they don't try to force their opinion on others or waste people's time selling their way of life door to door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary