Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 AM

369 posts, read 460,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
US NEWS ranks Carolina's comp sci program 25th to NC State's 48th

Carolina ahead in computer science research and academia

NC State, as a vocational school, focuses on workforce training

If you wanna do advanced research and work for google -> UNC

If you wanna get hired quick locally -> State

Really looking forward to Wolfpack defenders try to make the case for state against UNC with such a better ranking. I'm always impressed by how loyal state fans are...if not a little deluded.

NCSU is not a "vocational school".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I've got a Computer Science degree from State and have worked locally for over 25 years at a handful of companies in the area (about half the time at IBM). If I had a to guess, I'd say ~40% of the engineers I've worked with over the years went to State (in either Comp Sci, EE, or Comp Eng), with Virginia Tech and then Clemson being next. I've probably worked with as many people from Purdue or Penn St as I have from UNC-CH. I've worked with really good people from all of those schools, so not saying anything negative about the UNC-CH program.

A couple of companies I worked for were based in San Jose, and both companies had several NC State grads living out there. With one of those companies, I was the first person hired for what would become a NC site. The VP of Engineering that interviewed me mentioned that NC State had a very good reputation out there and that was key when they looked to open another location.I also remember watching a big game years ago when I was out in California for work one time with a Silicon Valley-based Wolfpack Club group. Pretty sizable group, so there's definitely a good presence out there.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
US NEWS ranks Carolina's comp sci program 25th to NC State's 48th

Carolina ahead in computer science research and academia

NC State, as a vocational school, focuses on workforce training

If you wanna do advanced research and work for google -> UNC

If you wanna get hired quick locally -> State

Really looking forward to Wolfpack defenders try to make the case for state against UNC with such a better ranking. I'm always impressed by how loyal state fans are...if not a little deluded.
If you want to feel elite without actually having to be elite...

Old 08-31-2015, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,049 times
The Daily Tar Heel :: Letter: Hatchell deserves to be supported by UNC

"David Kuo • 20 hours ago
UNC is the modern plantation. In America today can you think of a more institutionally misogynistic and racist entity than UNC? This latest attempt to save men’s basketball only provides further evidence for this truth. Everything and everyone must be sacrificed to save the men’s basketball program and somehow preserve the reputation of Dean Smith. Having already thrown their academic reputation into the flames along with a number of low-level staffers (all women and/or minorities), the old white guys running the Ram’s Club have decided that Sylvia Hatchell will be the next sacrifice offered up."

Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 22,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
This is... not good advice.
Learning from someone who leads by example is a bad idea? Versus someone who has never earned a dime using their skill outside of an academic environment, where their job is funded by state tax money (and guaranteed by a bizarre system of campus politics rather than based on their teaching effectiveness or overall job performance).

I'm not telling anyone that University of Phoenix or whatever is the best place to get a computer science degree. Some of these for-profit schools are diploma mills I'm sure and some of them will have their accreditation called into question at some point, just as UNC-CH has had its accreditation called into question.

What I'm saying is that ANY company that places an emphasis on where the candidate graduated from versus how they perform on the interview questions (assuming entry level who has no experience) or better yet, their actual experience is simply not worth working for.

Some for-profit learning options not only teach the same theory that the relatively fraudulent academics who have never actually had their skills put to any real test in a professional environment, but they are able to apply it to real world situations.

The person who actually shows up at the job interview is going to be a product of who they are, their own ability to learn, their own passion for the subjects at hand, and what they've taken the initiative to figure out on their own. If they do not understand algorithms and data structures, and it is an important skill for the job, they should be tested for those skills during the interview process. If it is not directly applicable to the job then the hiring manager should be fired for creating an invalid hiring process.

Getting a CS degree from a "prestigious" school (and we all know that means "the one with the strongest sports following") does not guarantee that the student will remember much of this theory five years out of school. I have met CS graduates from well-regarded public universities who were unable to work in the profession they originally set out to pursue, because they just "don't have it" -- the acumen required to get the job done -- and they ended up working in a different field altogether.

In terms of spending money on education, the cost of education (whether at public, private, for-profit or non-profit) is already at the point where ANYONE who spends the money on it is automatically going to have their credibility in question, because at the end of it all they only end up with a piece of paper that says nothing whatsoever of their actual ability to perform in a related profession environment. It might say a lot about their ability to stand up in front of a class, issue exams and grade papers, but working in computer science academically requires a completely different set of skills than being successful in the real world.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorninStir View Post
Learning from someone who leads by example is a bad idea? Versus someone who has never earned a dime using their skill outside of an academic environment, where their job is funded by state tax money (and guaranteed by a bizarre system of campus politics rather than based on their teaching effectiveness or overall job performance).

I'm not telling anyone that University of Phoenix or whatever is the best place to get a computer science degree. Some of these for-profit schools are diploma mills I'm sure and some of them will have their accreditation called into question at some point, just as UNC-CH has had its accreditation called into question.

What I'm saying is that ANY company that places an emphasis on where the candidate graduated from versus how they perform on the interview questions (assuming entry level who has no experience) or better yet, their actual experience is simply not worth working for.

Some for-profit learning options not only teach the same theory that the relatively fraudulent academics who have never actually had their skills put to any real test in a professional environment, but they are able to apply it to real world situations.

The person who actually shows up at the job interview is going to be a product of who they are, their own ability to learn, their own passion for the subjects at hand, and what they've taken the initiative to figure out on their own. If they do not understand algorithms and data structures, and it is an important skill for the job, they should be tested for those skills during the interview process. If it is not directly applicable to the job then the hiring manager should be fired for creating an invalid hiring process.

Getting a CS degree from a "prestigious" school (and we all know that means "the one with the strongest sports following") does not guarantee that the student will remember much of this theory five years out of school. I have met CS graduates from well-regarded public universities who were unable to work in the profession they originally set out to pursue, because they just "don't have it" -- the acumen required to get the job done -- and they ended up working in a different field altogether.

In terms of spending money on education, the cost of education (whether at public, private, for-profit or non-profit) is already at the point where ANYONE who spends the money on it is automatically going to have their credibility in question, because at the end of it all they only end up with a piece of paper that says nothing whatsoever of their actual ability to perform in a related profession environment. It might say a lot about their ability to stand up in front of a class, issue exams and grade papers, but working in computer science academically requires a completely different set of skills than being successful in the real world.
Getting a solid fundamental education and learning from those with experience are not mutually exclusive. Go to college and get a job, at the same time if you manage it.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Sounds like somebody didn't get the job they wanted.
Looks like one of those hiring managers (or at least an aspiring one) I was talking about in my first message just raised their hand.

And, I have exactly the job I want, as well as a masters degree from a public non-profit university. But I have also attended courses that were for-profit and taught by people with actual real world experience, not the on-campus facade, so I have quite an accurate first hand perspective on the differences.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Getting a solid fundamental education and learning from those with experience are not mutually exclusive. Go to college and get a job, at the same time if you manage it.
I wasn't saying they were mutually exclusive, I was responding to the OP who seems to believe that one schools computer science program is going to matter more than another when it comes time to interview. My only point is that if it does make any difference, it's only because the hiring manager is a stooge that has a sports team bias or a preference for their own alma mater.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying they were mutually exclusive, I was responding to the OP who seems to believe that one schools computer science program is going to matter more than another when it comes time to interview. My only point is that if it does make any difference, it's only because the hiring manager is a stooge that has a sports team bias or a preference for their own alma mater.
please tell us where you went to school

Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Getting a CS degree from a "prestigious" school (and we all know that means "the one with the strongest sports following")
Right, because the first thing I think of when I think of MIT, the Ivy leagues, even half the big 10 schools is their sports teams. Outside of NC, a majority couldn't even tell you what conference NCSU plays in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
UNC CH in US news and world report's ranking is much better than NC State.

my question is, graduates from which one are more popular in companies like I B M, Google, Cisco and other Silicon Valley startups?
The answer to that is Probably Stanford . Also, none of the companies you listed are what one would call a startup anymore. SAS might have a preference towards NCSU grads, given its and Mr. Goodnight's historic ties to the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary