Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 22,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
please tell us where you went to school
I would consider that "over sharing", and catering to potential stalkers, unless I somehow found reason to do so that supports my argument.

My argument is that the candidate is who they are, regardless of what school they went to. Therefore I have no real incentive to provide identifying information to random strangers who are looking for tactics to disagree with me over the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Right, because the first thing I think of when I think of MIT, the Ivy leagues, even half the big 10 schools is their sports teams. Outside of NC, a majority couldn't even tell you what conference NCSU plays in.

The answer to that is Probably Stanford . Also, none of the companies you listed are what one would call a startup anymore. SAS might have a preference towards NCSU grads, given its and Mr. Goodnight's historic ties to the university.

Well as I said, sports team or alma mater bias. Nothing creates an inbred environment better than hiring preference for a particular local school because upper management has more t-shirts with that color on it in their closet.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorninStir View Post
I would consider that "over sharing", and catering to potential stalkers, unless I somehow found reason to do so that supports my argument.

My argument is that the candidate is who they are, regardless of what school they went to. Therefore I have no real incentive to provide identifying information to random strangers who are looking for tactics to disagree with me over the Internet.
ok you seem to be speaking from a position of bias

Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
ok you seem to be speaking from a position of bias
Things aren't always as they seem, but yes perhaps I am biased against companies that would give hiring preference to one school versus another. I've worked at a lot of organizations throughout my career, and I have seen that type of company, thus the bias.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying they were mutually exclusive, I was responding to the OP who seems to believe that one schools computer science program is going to matter more than another when it comes time to interview. My only point is that if it does make any difference, it's only because the hiring manager is a stooge that has a sports team bias or a preference for their own alma mater.
What you seem to be missing is that where it makes a HUGE difference is for the person, fresh out of school (with no experience), trying to get their first job. A person with a degree from a reputable school is more likely to get the chance to show well in an interview, than the person who did not get to the table.

I've always said a college education is good for (at least) two things:
1. to teach you how to learn, and how to open your mind to a bigger universe, and
2. to get you your first job.

After that, it's all about what you do with it, and would support your comments.

Your original response was wrong, and seemed to be very condescending. Too bad your couple of good points got lost in that. One of the values of going to a not-for-profit school is they teach you more than just a trade.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
What you seem to be missing is that where it makes a HUGE difference is for the person, fresh out of school (with no experience), trying to get their first job. A person with a degree from a reputable school is more likely to get the chance to show well in an interview, than the person who did not get to the table.
There have been entire books written about the hiring process at Google, one comes to mind about specific coding questions that was written by someone who used to conduct the coding interviews there. "What school did you go to" is not even a relevant factor.

I do understand that this may be the case in some unfortunate organizations, but my point was that it should not be. The school someone went to does not define how they will perform on the job. The simple evaluation of whether one school is better than the other is subjective, and any competent hiring manager would understand that. Therefore, anyone interviewing at a company that gives preference to one school over another is by very definition applying at an incompetent organization.

Quote:
I've always said a college education is good for (at least) two things:
1. to teach you how to learn, and how to open your mind to a bigger universe, and
2. to get you your first job.

After that, it's all about what you do with it, and would support your comments.

Your original response was wrong, and seemed to be very condescending. Too bad your couple of good points got lost in that. One of the values of going to a not-for-profit school is they teach you more than just a trade.
I'm sorry that the points I made that you liked got overshadowed by the ones you didn't like. But just know that for-profit schools often teach exactly the same curriculum for a given degree as their tax-funded counterparts. If you get a bachelors degree you are going to have course exposure to many subjects outside the core curriculum. That has nothing to do with for or not for profit. You may be confusing liberal arts colleges with community colleges or boot-camp type programs.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
UNC CH in US news and world report's ranking is much better than NC State.

my question is, graduates from which one are more popular in companies like I B M, Google, Cisco and other Silicon Valley startups?
To answer your question, it really depends on what you want to do with it. Computer science is a VERY BROAD field. If you are to apply it to industrial applications, or more of the Engineering angle, then I'd think that NCSU is going to be more recognized. If you are applying to traditional "IT" stuff, it seems your research points to UNC (I have not done the research). I would also say that the UNC Brand is probably more broadly recognized outside of the Southeast (hence the 'which team' analogy) than NCSU, but both are reputable schools.

As Mr. Conservative Blinders Talking Points has pointed out, the logo on your diploma is only a small part of the equation. It 'might' get you to the interview, but the competition for jobs is fierce right now, and you have to be a well rounded candidate to get to the interview, much less land the job. It is much more important to differentiate yourself, and to learn a marketable expertise in the field of your ambitions.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
As Mr. Conservative Blinders Talking Points has pointed out.
Ah, the Net. In every discussion someone always insists on going 4th grade. There's always one.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
In contrast, for-profit universities typically hire faculty who have demonstrated career success outside the classroom and lead by example.
Yikes. What terrible advice. I would not recommend a for-profit university to anyone ever.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
No employer in their right mind is going to make their hiring decision based on UNC vs State unless they have a bone to pick with that particular institution.

What matters is that you get the degree, get the best GPA you can and GET RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE along the way. If you work on some projects or intern at some companies before you graduate, you will be a very attractive candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary