Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 6,075 times

Advertisements

I have passed my first real estate exam, now I am required to work under Realtor for 3 years, before I can take my post exam. Currently I have job in other industry; therefore, I wanted to work part-time in with Real Estate Company. Is there any real estate company, who would hire part-time position (in Raleigh - Durham area)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I think you misunderstand.
As a provisional broker, you must take 30 hours post-licensing classes per year in the next 3 years, not after three years. If you miss 30 hours in any year, you will start all over with pre-licensing.
Or, you can knock out all 90 hours now and test to become a broker.

In many ways, taking post licensing to remove the "provisional" label, and to become a broker immediately upon being licensed makes a lot of sense. Get it behind you and move on to learn the practicalities of real estate as you go.

I would generally not hire a provisional broker. And, I would most definitely not hire on a part-time provisional broker, unless they had very recent and relevant experience, in lending, real estate paralegal work, etc, and were actively going to class to remove the "provisional" label.
But, I think there are plenty of places that will let you hang your license for a monthly fee. That is one of their prime revenue streams, barely active licenses and a fee from 50, 60, 70 brokers, whether active or not.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 6,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think you misunderstand.
As a provisional broker, you must take 30 hours post-licensing classes per year in the next 3 years, not after three years. If you miss 30 hours in any year, you will start all over with pre-licensing.
Or, you can knock out all 90 hours now and test to become a broker.

In many ways, taking post licensing to remove the "provisional" label, and to become a broker immediately upon being licensed makes a lot of sense. Get it behind you and move on to learn the practicalities of real estate as you go.

I would generally not hire a provisional broker. And, I would most definitely not hire on a part-time provisional broker, unless they had very recent and relevant experience, in lending, real estate paralegal work, etc, and were actively going to class to remove the "provisional" label.
But, I think there are plenty of places that will let you hang your license for a monthly fee. That is one of their prime revenue streams, barely active licenses and a fee from 50, 60, 70 brokers, whether active or not.
Thank you so much for your reply,
I have just finished my 75 hours of learning and passed the exam, do I need to take additional 30 hours of learning for year 2015? or, can I do 30 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and then take the post exam?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhumijoypatel View Post
Thank you so much for your reply,
I have just finished my 75 hours of learning and passed the exam, do I need to take additional 30 hours of learning for year 2015? or, can I do 30 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 and then take the post exam?
I THINK you are good for this year.
Call the school you went to or the NC Real Estate Commission to confirm.
The Commission is actually very helpful and friendly when we ask questions because we are striving to avoid a problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
I have had my RE license here in Durham for about 3 years, all working in a VERY part time setting (like a couple of hours/week max). I have it hung with one of the big brokers, but luckily, I don't have to attend any meetings, have desk fees, or anything. All I pay is $20 in E&O insurance for each buy/sell I do. I only get 50% of a commission, but since I don't really do more than 1-2 a year, I am fine with that.

I have my license primarily for my own real estate investment purposes. One of the best things about having it is being able to negotiate the 3% off the purchase price by waiving your 3% commission. Thus, buying a property for $80,000 lets you get it for $77,600 if you have your RE license since you can waive your commission and you actually get a lower selling price. Seller pays the same thing but you profit big time. When you are buying 4-5 properties a year this adds up fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary