Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM

200 posts, read 358,813 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are looking to downsize and are interested in the 12 Oaks subdivision in Holly Springs. I saw one other thread but it seemed to move into conversations other than the actual commute times

I work in the Cameron Village area of Raleigh and hubby is in RTP. Presently we live in West Raleigh and my commute time is about 15 minutes; his is about 35 minutes depending on traffic. I am willing to increase my commute time to within 35 minutes or less to get more of what we want. Are there any other commuters from that area that can give me some insight on whether that is plausible?

Also, we are 55+ and are interested in the Villas section of the subdivision. Some feedback on the subdivision from present homeowners or those that have checked the area out recently would be fantastic. Basically looking to downsize to around 2400 square feet or less with a 2 car garage, first floor Master suite, lot size less than .20, and a home warranty (tired of fixing up the present homestead built in the '70s) up to $400K. The pool, golf course, and amenities look to be right up our alley...

Thanks for any info in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:24 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I love 12 Oaks! I'll disclose that I currently have two clients that are building their homes there. And about 4 that currently live there and love it!

If you don't know, they are in the process of building the 2nd clubhouse and pool. Amazing amenities!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Love the golf course and the pool area looks pretty cool. I don't live there but want to...Maybe I can trade my current 2 floor home for a ranch/ single story in 12 Oaks???

Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Love the golf course and the pool area looks pretty cool. I don't live there but want to...Maybe I can trade my current 2 floor home for a ranch/ single story in 12 Oaks???
I must confess that I have been occasionally tempted by it. I just wish it was in Apex instead of HS. Or Cary. Naturally, the homes would be more expensive, but...location.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Once again we see these request. Ranch style home or first floor master suite. Just wanted to point that out since it was recently up for debate on here wether it made much difference.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
12 Oaks is really lovely. It has come a LONG way since groundbreaking. My wife and I drive thru there every few months and think it would be a lovely place to live. Then we head out to the 55 Bypass, and........dealbreaker.

My daughter's scout troop meets in Holly Glen. We approach the bypass from downtown Holly Springs around 6PM on a weekday. It can take 4 or 5 cycles of the traffic light before we get across the intersection. The bypass heading South is jammed for a couple of miles every weeknight.

I think a 35 minute commute to and from Cameron Village is a pipe dream. Keep in mind that the future leg of NC540 will do NOTHING to alleviate traffic heading down the 55 bypass from the current terminus.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM

200 posts, read 358,813 times
So this past weekend hubby and I checked out the 12 Oaks Villas section. We were able to review the David Weekly homes. Nice tall ceilings, layout of the one level living space was done well, and the HOA covers all yard maintenance. The 2nd clubhouse is coming along nicely and the pool area is beautiful.

We decided to pass on the subdivision due to:
Homes were just too close together for our liking.
Hubby still cannot get past the closeness of the nuclear plant.
And the drive from that area to Raleigh (Cameron Village) was just too far with the traffic. Even on a weekend day with lighter traffic, it took over 35 minutes to get there. I can only imagine on a work day it would be closer to 45 minutes or more.

Like others have mentioned, if it was located in Cary or Apex, they might have had a sale...

Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
And that is one reason Holly Springs people can't wait for 540 to be extended out to Garner.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And that is one reason Holly Springs people can't wait for 540 to be extended out to Garner.
How does extending 540 from its current terminus (NC55 between Apex and Holly Springs) out to Garner do anything to alleviate traffic flow between there and 12 Oaks for commuters?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
How does extending 540 from its current terminus (NC55 between Apex and Holly Springs) out to Garner do anything to alleviate traffic flow between there and 12 Oaks for commuters?
I think it will keep all the folks commuting to Fuquay/Willow Springs from exiting onto 55 through Holly Springs. They will stay on 540 and bypass? Just a guess...although 540 won't really cut "through" those areas, so I'm not sure what people living there will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary