Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,196 times

Advertisements

I honestly laugh when people are talking about traffic problems here in the Triangle. We have no traffic problems. If you consider taking an extra 30-45 min to get home at high time (5:30 pm) during the weekday on I-40, that is beyond hilarious. We don't have any real traffic problems here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 AM

547 posts, read 774,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I honestly laugh when people are talking about traffic problems here in the Triangle. We have no traffic problems. If you consider taking an extra 30-45 min to get home at high time (5:30 pm) during the weekday on I-40, that is beyond hilarious. We don't have any real traffic problems here.
I agree with this, we have nowhere the issues ATL, DC and the Northeast(CT in my example have). The one thing we should learn is to be proactive with the development.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Agree. I thought the traffic was worst 30-40 years ago. Two lanes in each direction on the Beltline was awful back then. Does anyone remember how bad Shelly Rd. used to get before the Millbrook Rd. extension?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
I agree with this, we have nowhere the issues ATL, DC and the Northeast(CT in my example have). The one thing we should learn is to be proactive with the development.
Exactly. We don't have traffic problems like they do now, nor do we want to have those kinds of problems in the future so we need to do something about it now rather than waiting on the inevitable.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
I commute between far NE Raleigh (home) and Chapel Hill (work). In my case, it ends up being an extra hour's worth of driving if I leave my office at any time after 4:30.

Traffic in this area may seem miniscule compared to Atlanta or DC, and it is. But it's far from ideal for many if not most.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
Can you expand on this post? I am not following. Durham is leading the charge on public transit. Or are you referring to the lack of a loop around the city due to the Eno River environmental concerns?
It seems to me that once they build the East End Connector, Durham will be pretty well enclosed. I can't foresee the city needing any sort of beltway unless North Durham turns into North Raleigh.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
It seems to me that once they build the East End Connector, Durham will be pretty well enclosed. I can't foresee the city needing any sort of beltway unless North Durham turns into North Raleigh.
There was a plan for a beltway through Northern Durham, the Eno Drive -- that plan was killed in favor of the East End Connector. Durhamites didn't see any sense building a beltline though an area that, thanks to Raleigh's water supply, could not handle dense development, and near the Eno; instead, better connectivity to Durham's east side was prioritized.

Project 20/10: Eno Drive killed as Durham shakes up transportation priorities (#18) - Bull City Rising

Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 AM

113 posts, read 180,949 times
Being relatively young, Raleigh can learn from more mature cities. Sure traffic isn't as bad at Atlanta or DC during rush hour, but these metros also have millions more people and jobs as well as more robust transit systems. Recently it seems DC has transitioned to a metro that understands the need for transportation alternatives. The suburbs are clamoring for connections to the Metrorail while also trying to correct past mistakes that gave preference to the car and destroyed true neighborhoods. The Atlanta suburbs haven't quite turned this corner, even as the central city booms from Downtown to Buckhead along the main rail line.

The Triangle does have multiple job centers, and each are growing in unique ways. As a region, the Triangle has to decide where it wants the growth to go and how it should grow. I think we have a chance to make some really smart choices that will continue to set us apart. Leaders will have to be on board, and make difficult and sometimes creative decisions.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
I wonder if anyone has thought to address the localized traffic problems caused by parents lining up in cars on the roads to pick their children up after school? In many places you simply cannot get by, even with parents being as polite about pulling over as they can. Also, buses coming in and out for example on 55 in Apex, leads to traffic backups just before folks are leaving from work. Maybe someone has a brilliant remedy?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
Quote:
I honestly laugh when people are talking about traffic problems here in the Triangle. We have no traffic problems.
I'm sure they were saying the same thing in Atlanta 20 years ago. Who's laughing now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary