Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:13 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

New subdivision coming to Caraleigh in downtown Raleigh. There are some beautiful art renderings on FB(not sure I can link). Going to feature a community post office,greenway and walking deck. This area is on the radar for extensive redevelopment. 2years ago I would say you could probably still find good opportunities for investment. Now it's going to be just as expensive as any of the downtown neighborhoods and fully gentrified. For better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Yikes. Those are gonna be pricey.

Caraleigh Commons

Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Personally, I wouldn't consider that to be in downtown. It's close, very convenient, a great area, and seems to be appropriately priced given all that, etc but calling anything south of Western/MLK "downtown" is *really* *really* stretching. I don't think anyone would ever consider the farmers market to be in downtown and it's just across Lake Wheeler from here.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Personally, I wouldn't consider that to be in downtown. It's close, very convenient, a great area, and seems to be appropriately priced given all that, etc but calling anything south of Western/MLK "downtown" is *really* *really* stretching. I don't think anyone would ever consider the farmers market to be in downtown and it's just across Lake Wheeler from here.
I disagree, if you can walk down Maywood st where it intersects with South Saunders the city skyline is completely visible. If historic Oakwood and Mordecai are considered downtown neighborhoods then Caraleigh shouldn't be an exception. The Caraleigh neighborhood is where I originally was hoping to rent but I can see that the even the original housing is quickly going to exceed my budget.

I really wanted to post it on here because of all the negative impressions posters have about SE Raleigh. I'm back and forth through there everyday and have seen tremendous change within the last couple years. It's a great area location wise. Close to the beltline,I-40 and Farmers Market,Centinnel Campus etc... This was definitely one area of Raleigh that needed some love. I'm glad it's finally getting it even if I'm once again priced out.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Wow, those are really narrow lots and houses. No house over 10 yards wide, some barely over 1/2 that width.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
wouldn't Dawson/South Saunders or McDowell St, maybe even Wilmington St define SE Raleigh? Thus, Caraleigh is actually SW Raleigh.

Regardless, I think Cityscape has captured a really positive movement for south of the downtown core. Getting through the links, there's a pretty good number of reservations already, across the spectrum of lot widths.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I disagree, if you can walk down Maywood st where it intersects with South Saunders the city skyline is completely visible. If historic Oakwood and Mordecai are considered downtown neighborhoods then Caraleigh shouldn't be an exception. The Caraleigh neighborhood is where I originally was hoping to rent but I can see that the even the original housing is quickly going to exceed my budget.
Neither Oakwood or Mordecai is downtown. Neither is Five Points, FTR. Downtown is generally comprised of the 5 districts as can be seen here: Get Around :: Parking :: Downtown Raleigh
but I think those boundaries often fluctuate a few blocks depending on who you ask and sometimes names for them that are different, but generally this is downtown and nothing else. This is also one of the bigger definitions of downtown as the "official" downtown overlay district as per the City is much, much smaller.

Also, I can see the skyline from parts of Garner and on a good day from Lake Wheeler Rd outside the beltline, but that doesn't mean they're downtown.

Quote:
I really wanted to post it on here because of all the negative impressions posters have about SE Raleigh.
This isn't SE Raleigh either, it's southwest.

HOWEVER, none of that is to say that this isn't going to be a wonderful place to live, a great development, very convenient, etc. It think it's a great spot and if I didn't already love my current house, I'd be very interested in a place like this. It's a lot of great things, but it's not downtown or SE Raleigh...

Old 09-10-2015, 12:31 PM

Ok I might be technically off by calling it SouthEast Raleigh. When I drive down South Saunders I'm still in SE Raleigh so it's hard for me to differentiate when it's less then 2 min from a major road in that area. I firmly consider the farmers market as SW Raleigh but from my information it's closer to the South Saunders side. Either way it's being built in one of the areas that often receives a lot of flack as being unsafe and ghetto.

As far as being downtown or not, no it's not within the downtown core. I don't think there are hardly any sfh that are technically in the core but a large percentage of residents consider all those neighborhoods as essentially being downtown. Not saying that developers don't stretch the truth any but all information published about this particular development states that it is downtown. Chavis heights just reopened recently and all the commercials stress it's downtown living. Not everyone is so stringent about the exact borders.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Not saying that developers don't stretch the truth any but all information published about this particular development states that it is downtown.
If I were a developer, I would probably want to say that anything I built inside the beltline is 'in downtown' but that's how developers operate. Doesn't make it true.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 PM

369 posts, read 460,243 times
I'm looking forward to the second location of Trophy Brewing opening nearby (on Maywood Avenue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary