Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Yep the only things cheaper in NC than NY are real estate property taxes and car insurance. Everything else is the same or a smidge more. Those three items though take quite a bite so NC is worlds cheaper than NY.
Agreed!

Some differences you will notice. The majority of homes are on gas heat, not heating oil, this will save you money.

Food is the same.
Gas is less.
Water is more, WAY MORE. Water, sewer and garbage are charged on a separate bill from the town they are not included in your taxes. If you are like many LI'er and love you water your lawn, get over it or prepare for sticker shock!

You mentioned about being an hour from the City (I am a former LI'er too) You should visit and make sure that Raleigh and Durham are enough city for you. What I mean by that is, they are not Manhattan (thank goodness) they are small cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 PM

46 posts, read 62,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Agreed!

Some differences you will notice. The majority of homes are on gas heat, not heating oil, this will save you money.

Food is the same.
Gas is less.
Water is more, WAY MORE. Water, sewer and garbage are charged on a separate bill from the town they are not included in your taxes. If you are like many LI'er and love you water your lawn, get over it or prepare for sticker shock!

You mentioned about being an hour from the City (I am a former LI'er too) You should visit and make sure that Raleigh and Durham are enough city for you. What I mean by that is, they are not Manhattan (thank goodness) they are small cities.

That's fine by me. I grew up on a small farm, as long as I have access to highways, restaurants and some big box stores, we'll be okay. Any neighborhoods you'd recommend now that you know a bit more about us?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey_lyn View Post
That's fine by me. I grew up on a small farm, as long as I have access to highways, restaurants and some big box stores, we'll be okay. Any neighborhoods you'd recommend now that you know a bit more about us?
Hi, Suffolk County resident here, looking to make the move as well.

I'm looking at strictly half acre and over and have found a lot in the Garner and Clayton area under 350k. Although it's fairly far from Raleigh and Clayton isn't even in Wake County, there is a highway proposed to connect this area in a way that will make it easier to get to areas west of Raleigh. I currently have a 45-60 minute commute each way so anything less than that will be a bonus to me.

It doesn't sound like you would enjoy the Cary/Apex/Holly Springs areas. Although it sounds nice with a lot of amenities, it also sounds like they're getting as congested as LI is because it's so popular. Also, your dollar really doesn't go as far, if house prices are any indication.

We're also looking north of the city - north of 540, west of 1, but this too looks like an area where we would be compromising on a home to stay in our budget.

Honestly, Clayton is the top choice for us right now, but we're going to visit over the next year and plan to rent when we move, to make sure we're making the right decision.

Disclaimer - this is my opinion after hanging around these forums and searching for homes but is subject to change.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Couple of threads that might be of interest to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-nc-540-a.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nty-areas.html

Old 09-10-2015, 08:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
We are considering moving to the Raleigh suburbs.
Apex is a Raleigh suburb. Here is an example... the house sold in July 2015 for $310K...
Quote:
We are looking for areas with established (not manufactured) communities ...
Established neighborhood, no two houses alike, no HOA.
Quote:
... yardage (.75 acres) with trees ...
3 acres, heavily wooded.
Quote:
... and nearby local and big box stores.
Within five miles of Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, 5 supermarkets, a slew of restaurants. A new Costco is under construction.
Quote:
(I know taxes are cheap as dirt!!!).
Annual tax bill = $2423.

I can't say such properties are commonplace but they can be found.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...134?source=web

Last edited by danielbmartin; 09-10-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
^^^The problem with properties like that is that when you first move to a place, particularly if you know no one, living in an area like that is great for privacy but not so much for making friends. I think the OP mentioned she works at home - it would be very isolating. Just MHO. And then once you have kids it's the same thing. Of course people do it - but again, coming from where they are coming from OP needs to be aware. As much as people complain about transplants and people who don't live here and have never visited want to think it's just like Long Island but better - it's not. It's quite different. Again, IMHO - in good ways. But we've all seen people who move here and then complain endlessly on these boards because it wasn't what they thought it was going to be....which is no one's fault but their own, but they always try to blame the place.

I actually found some large properties in MacGregor Downs last night that are listed under $400K, which really surprised me. So - they are out there, but they probably get snapped up fast.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:53 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^The problem with properties like that is that when you first move to a place, particularly if you know no one, living in an area like that is great for privacy but not so much for making friends. I think the OP mentioned she works at home - it would be very isolating. Just MHO. And then once you have kids it's the same thing. Of course people do it - but again, coming from where they are coming from OP needs to be aware. As much as people complain about transplants and people who don't live here and have never visited want to think it's just like Long Island but better - it's not. It's quite different. Again, IMHO - in good ways. But we've all seen people who move here and then complain endlessly on these boards because it wasn't what they thought it was going to be....which is no one's fault but their own, but they always try to blame the place.

I actually found some large properties in MacGregor Downs last night that are listed under $400K, which really surprised me. So - they are out there, but they probably get snapped up fast.

I agree, it's one thing to move to a smaller city but it is probably a little too much culture shock to move that far out with no connections. Even just from living in Raleigh I've realized I don't like living too far from the city itself. I've done the out in the country thing,and it's just not for me. I'm an introvert and without close proximity to other people I will isolate and become very depressed.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Agreed!

Food is the same.
Gas is less.

Many homes and apartments have electric heat pumps here, Sal. Gas service is far from universal. Beware of propane. Do not consider a home using propane for heat.

Heat pump is not too costly. I do recall Long Island Lighting Co. trying to popularize electric heat many years ago. Utter disaster.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Nobody can name a neighborhood until they know what city you'll be in. As I read your initial post, you don't even have jobs yet, so you can't know where you'll be living yet. Once you land a job, someone can help you with that city. NOT a good to just move somewhere with neither of you having work lined up; you should move somewhere because you want to be THERE, not because you want to be "away from somewhere else".

Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM

149 posts, read 206,650 times
Quote:
Hello North Carolinians!

My fiance and I presently live in Suffolk County on Long Island are are strongly considering moving out of state to have a better quality of life. We are considering moving to the Raleigh suburbs. We are looking for areas with established (not manufactured) communities, yardage (.75 acres) with trees, and nearby local and big box stores.Are we on the right track? Are there other recommendations you may have?

I am a graphic designer, and my fiance works as an auto damage adjuster for GEICO, how are job markets in the area?

Anything else we should know..traffic? entertainment? taxes?

We obviously would love to hear from anyone who moved from Long island or NY and hear about your experiences. We want to "fit in." We are both in our mid to late 20s.

Our biggest factors are good schools, jobs and taxes (I know taxes are cheap as dirt!!!).
I hate to keep beating a well-worn drum, but please, please ... have a good, extensive look at the job market in your fields before coming here. My husband still can't find work in the Raleigh area after eight years (and oh, yes, how he's looked ... and looked), and works in a nearby state. Put out a few feelers before you make the move, and make your decision then. It is NOT true that all professionals can find great jobs here if they set their mind to it. Your fiance might have a much better advantage than my husband, since he's in an entirely-different field. But please don't take that as fact. I know that some publications have done a great PR job for NC, but my husband has noticed a LOT more NC commuters working in his neck of the woods since he first started years ago.

Get at least one solid job lead, look at what comparable jobs pay, look at the resources you have saved, and make your decision from that point. Look at sites such as trulia to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for the house amenities you desire. If you're really not sure, one great resource we have in this part of the world is apartments! You can find a wonderful one for a lot less money on Long Island, and it isn't in someone's basement. Great clubhouse facilities, many convenient to shopping, highways and public transportation, etc. Honestly, if I had to do this over again, I'd rent for at least six months here before deciding what I'd want in a house ... take things a lot slower.

I know there have been kerfuffles in the past over posts like mine, so I'll try to behave. As others have written, there are other threads here for you to check out, both positive and negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary