Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:54 PM

307 posts, read 672,915 times

Advertisements

What's going on with Garner housing? The market appears to be white hot. My daughter made an offer on a home the day it went on the market. She offered $1000 over the asking price. Her real estate agent just called to tell her that she didn't get the house. That's the second time that's happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 05:34 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Oh snap. The tides must be turning or people have finally figured out how much a premium Cary is charging for space. 10-15 minutes apart and sometimes almost double the price. Not surprising, that's why Clayton isn't considered the boonies anymore. Now that Garner can boasts its close to downtown the public is trying to buy in while the getting is good. People rag on Garner all the time and it being presently a blue collar town is true but there is a big difference between a town where people do actually work and a town with massive unemployment and everyone is living in subsidized housing. Crime is overhyped in SE Raleigh and Garner all the time. Very little random violence and way less burglaries then when I lived ITB downtown.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Gentrification makes DT and East Raleigh less and less affordable, but if you are close to Timber Drive in Garner, you are as close, or closer, to Glenwood South as a whole lot of N Raleigh. With cheaper and workable housing.

Good stuff in Garner has been moving fast for a couple of years now, and I don't see it slowing any time soon.

I think people are starting to believe that the 540 Red Route is a non-issue, and getting a little more confident, too, about buying in Garner.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:03 AM

138 posts, read 154,165 times
Nuts! I was hoping the fact that Garner is a gem would stay hidden for a while longer until we're ready to retire. We lived there several years ago, near Timber drive, and access to I-40 and downtown activities and restaurants was wonderful. Just a few minutes away. It was a bit far from my husband's job, however, and we moved for that reason, along with the noise factor with our home being backed up to Timber Drive, because traffic built up on that road over the years we lived there.

Housing has been much more affordable there, but Garner has somewhat of a "less-favored child" status in this area, for some reason. Part of it could be that some of the schools in the area didn't enjoy the same reputation as schools in western Wake have, for example, and many are willing to pay 2-3 times the cost of a home in Garner to get their children over in the more desired schools. We didn't have children in the schools there (because they were grown and gone by then) but we knew many families with children reporting a very positive experience at the schools in Garner.

We had plans to sell our present home after my husband retires in a few years, and use the profits from the sale of this home to purchase a home in Garner and not have a mortgage. If Garner is being "discovered" now, and home values rise, I imagine that plan will need to be revised.

Last edited by MoMo_Gnome; 09-12-2015 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Clumsy wording correction

Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
While driving around Garner this summer, I felt that Garner is an "underrated" part of the Raleigh area. It also depends where in Garner you are in. For the most part though, I thought one can get a good value in homes in Garner and in a fairly decent neighborhood. Taking into account how close most of Garner is to downtown Raleigh and the feel of the neighborhoods, I feel Garner is bound to attract more and more home buyers moving into the area. Honestly, I rather live in Garner than many of the neighborhoods south of Garner.

Even though Garner is not my number one choice of area to move to if I was to move to the Raleigh area, I wouldn't totally dismiss moving there. At the moment, I am interested in the North Raleigh area around and north of 540, and into Wake Forest. That part of Wake County I really like alot. However, home prices in those areas costs considerably more than areas in South Wake County. I was impressed with many parts of Garner when looking at neighborhoods and cost of homes in the area, particularly the areas in the middle of 70 and 401.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
I have been looking at Garner as a possibility also but am concerned about the new highway construction. I'm watching that issue closely and hope to see more details about exactly where the highway will go. How much would it suck to buy a home there and a year later have a highway running through your backyard?

Similarly, Clayton will be a more convenient place to live once the highway is done so that's another contender for us.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
In regards to the highway, first it wouldn't be "next year" for at least a decade. Secondly, I cannot imagine that we'd actually complete the 540 loop if it followed whatever route it is that proposes bisecting Garner proper.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:31 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
Garner is one of the best kept secrets in the Triangle. Have been saying this for years! You get cheaper housing, friendlier people, ALL the amenities of Raleigh for plays, shows, music, eats, etc with it only ten minutes away, and 30 minutes closer to the beach! With White Oak exploding like it is, there will be absolutely no reason to go to Cary for shopping. Plus Garner has some of the best parks in the area with Benson and White Deer. The best fireworks displays on the fourth. ...the list could just go on and on. Garner simply can not be beat! If you don't live here, your paying too much to live when you really could be living!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:02 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
In regards to the highway, first it wouldn't be "next year" for at least a decade. Secondly, I cannot imagine that we'd actually complete the 540 loop if it followed whatever route it is that proposes bisecting Garner proper.
I said in a year, not next year. We're not planning on moving down (if at all) until spring 2017. I read that once the route is finalized, construction would start in 2018. We're being very literal here but I think you get my meaning, I would want to know where the highway would be placed before purchasing in that area. We aren't looking to move again once we settle in our 'forever' home. The impact of the proposed orange route may affect that plan.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM

307 posts, read 672,915 times
Over the weekend I learned that houses under $200K in Garner are often selling for $10K over asking price. When I asked why sellers didn't increase their asking prices, the answer I got was that the houses are not appraising for the prices for which they are ultimately selling. What that means, as I understand it and have observed it happening once already, is that a buyer who gets into a bidding war may end up not being able to close. The lender will often only lend the appraised value. The buyer has to come up with the extra cash. Not every buyer is able to do that. It appears that a lot of contingent offers are being accepted after the first offer falls though. This information is from a single agent who has sold a lot of houses in Garner this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary