Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

93 posts, read 292,090 times

Advertisements

I know that there are new townhomes that are coming up and they are about the price range that you are looking for. Try and see if you can find some in there. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
OP, if you look in my zip code (27511) in central/downtown Cary, there are occassionally a few homes similar to what you are looking for. Many of them are older and some are older bungalows. I know it's "Cary" and not IBT Raleigh, but IMO, central/downtown Cary is NOTHING like the rest of Cary, and a very quick drive (15 minutes) to downtown Raleigh and all of it's ammenities. There is one for sale now in my zip that you can search for on one of the major real estate websites for $149K. I think is in a nice location and will be part of the "historic downtown" when they complete the downtown Cary rennovation project. I don't have the extra cash right now, but would love to buy one of these houses in downtown Cary to fix up and sit on it as an investment for a while!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I feel your pain. I was in that range last year. I started at $150K and slowly inched up to the $160K's but your desire for a "Historic" home makes it even tougher. While they are not historic, I would take a look at the neighborhoods in N. Raleigh known as Brentwood and Mine Valley. Some of the homes from the 60's and 70's are pretty cool looking and have some hardwoods. Some even have basements. Might not be what you are looking for but thought I would throw it out there.

My best advice, make sure you are available to view homes the day they come on the market. Hopefully your realtor has already set you up with automatic updates that will email MLS listing that meet your criteria the moment they hit the MLS. If the listing is so new the pictures aren't up on the web yet, you can copy the address of the house and go to the wake county tax website (http://aws1.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/search.asp - broken link) and enter the address there and look at the tax assessors picture. The photos are usually not the most recent and best pictures but it gives you an instant idea what the house looks like and prevents you from wdelaying further investigation for 2-3 days while the listing agent uploads photos.

I agree with the advice you received about needing to be ready to move fast. The best homes in the best locations in your (and my) modest price range get snatched up quickly. My neighborhood is new and very cookie-cutter, (You would hate it) but because it is affordable and in a good location homes go fast. My home was only listed for 1 day before I snatched it up. The previous three homes that went on the market before my house all had a contract on them within 10 days.

Be vigilant, drive through your target neighborhoods looking for FSBOs that you may not see online, check Craig’s list daily ect.... Eventually you will find the right place for the right price.

Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think is in a nice location and will be part of the "historic downtown" when they complete the downtown Cary rennovation project. I don't have the extra cash right now, but would love to buy one of these houses in downtown Cary to fix up and sit on it as an investment for a while!
Lamisha, I agree. The downtown areas of Cary have a lot of charm and a lot of potential. There is a cute factor with those homes in that area. Any idea how much those remodels are costing?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
miami - what area are you talking about? Other side of downtown heading east? I might be into it...would just depend on the location and house/price.

Thanks again for all the advice! i do have MLSs coming to me (few that there are...lol) and I do check the Wake Co. tax site for pics when none are available (and also use Microsoft Virtual Earth for great "bird's eye" pictures of the areas/houses)...
I've seen a few in Brentwood but keep waiting for that "this is the house" feeling I hear about...heh.

Funny...I did a specific search for Cary and I'm seeing stuff that didn't come up for Wake County...including the house you're referring to, lamishra (I think)... a bit small on the sq ft. but looks like a possibility.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
(and also use Microsoft Virtual Earth for great "bird's eye" pictures of the areas/houses)...
That is an awesome tool isn't it? I use that website all the time. It sounds like you are running on all cylinders (have an agent, get daily updates, check aerial photos and tax websites). You sound like you are well prepared to jump when the right house comes up. I know it can be frustrating, but I think more houses will pop up for sale in the spring and I think it will only be a matter of time before you find that right house that gives you the "perfect for me" feeling.

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM

26 posts, read 91,329 times
Oh, it can take a day or a year. Sometimes, however if it does take a year...your requirements may not be in line with what is available. Moderator cut: removed I'd suggest that you find a realtor to help in the search, or sit down and have an update with your realtor. As was posted already if you find a gem, especially after all this time, you do have to move fast. Good houses still sell fast.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-29-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
OP, if you look in my zip code (27511) in central/downtown Cary, there are occassionally a few homes similar to what you are looking for. Many of them are older and some are older bungalows. I know it's "Cary" and not IBT Raleigh, but IMO, central/downtown Cary is NOTHING like the rest of Cary, and a very quick drive (15 minutes) to downtown Raleigh and all of it's ammenities. There is one for sale now in my zip that you can search for on one of the major real estate websites for $149K. I think is in a nice location and will be part of the "historic downtown" when they complete the downtown Cary rennovation project. I don't have the extra cash right now, but would love to buy one of these houses in downtown Cary to fix up and sit on it as an investment for a while!
I agree! This is the Cary from before HOAs and cookie cutters. It took me a while to find this part of Cary. I didn't even know it had a downtown. Cary is huge and this is a neat little area. The New Englander in me loves it!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
aha....that stalker website comes up again!!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
'nother question for you fine folk...

How far above $150K am I safe to look? Or should I not even bother? There's so little out there that I've starting lookin in the $150-$155K range in the hopes that we can bargain it down to $150 or below. I know a lot depends on the house and time on market...but a general idea would be helpful.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary