Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times

Advertisements

North Carolina State Government's proposed new 500+ page NC budget slipped in a small amount of text attempting to kill the Durham / Orange line. The budget addition caps light rail funding at 500k, which basically kills the 25% the state was to bring to the table. (50% federal, 25% local) ... Orange and Durham Counties already passed a voter approved sales tax increase for light rail and just later today the federal government will be awarding Durham / Orange Light rail with a 1.7M grant to support the project and economic development planning related to the line. Very frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
Newly proposed budget and Durham Orange light rail-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Good, traffic jams gives me power .

Along with the medicaid refusal I never understand why our elected representatives don't want to capture federal money.

Its like we want to subsidize programs in other states

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Hmmmmm... (From N&O) Wake County may have dodged this little bullet: The transit plan under consideration in the capital county does include an option for rail, but it’s not the “light” kind (which runs on electricity). It’s called a diesel multiple unit (DMU) or “rail rapid transit,” and it involves rail cars powered by their individual diesel engines.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:48 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I thought Durham was using the DMU system also? I guess I need to find out. Will also be interesting to see if the legislature agrees with the definitions and then if they try to change it again. It probably hurts Charlotte more becaue their system is defined as Light a Rail I think.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 AM

Durham is light rail

Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 AM

i kinda wonder if we get punished for being a basically packed democratic district

what have our reps said about it?

im sure there is some sort of exception for charlotte

Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I thought Durham was using the DMU system also? I guess I need to find out. Will also be interesting to see if the legislature agrees with the definitions and then if they try to change it again. It probably hurts Charlotte more becaue their system is defined as Light a Rail I think.
Charlotte has already signed funding agreements for it's light rail system & any future lines can be either LRT,DMU or commuter rail.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i kinda wonder if we get punished for being a basically packed democratic district

what have our reps said about it?

im sure there is some sort of exception for charlotte

Nope, they hate us too. (Of course for future projects)

Not only will funding be a challenge, but they also made mass transit in the same category as the highways and roads so rail will have to compete statewide for priority...

I vote we make Rural counties pay for their new highways with only 500,000 from the state

Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Nope, they hate us too. (Of course for future projects)

Not only will funding be a challenge, but they also made mass transit in the same category as the highways and roads so rail will have to compete statewide for priority...

I vote we make Rural counties pay for their new highways with only 500,000 from the state
whats the motivation for all this rural focus in the legislature?

I love LOVE our rural communities and am from one but they need economic development not privileged status

On the other hand I am very aware of how state jobs (teachers) really hold these communities together.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I miss Mark Basnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary