Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:46 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,738,912 times

Advertisements

Raleigh and Cary police said A/C unit thefts are on the rise, unfortunately. Has anyone else encountered this?

Our family lives in a new construction neighborhood, half of the houses are built. The A/C has not been working for 2-3 days this past week and they call the HVAC technician. He states there are multiple holes in the refrigerant lines in the crawl space, which looks deliberate. He sees this when thieves want to "leak" out the refrigerant for several days, so then they can come back and steal the entire A/C central unit outside. The price of copper is high, and they want the copper inside the unit to sell. The crawl space door is on the side of the house where there is a new construction house being built, just finished framing. The refrigerant needs to be leaked out first, because thieves cannot just cut the lines outside and steal the unit right away.

I would suggest putting good locks on your crawl space door. Also, put a lock on each of your power unit boxes that is right behind your outside A/C units. Thieves usually do not want to cut power lines that are live, and always want to turn off the breaker switch first before stealing. Some motion sensor lights over your A/C units will help too. The refrigerant and line repair was over $400. A stolen A/C unit each would be over $2000 I'm guessing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
In my neighborhood, theft of newly installed appliances (usually refrigerators) out of houses finishing up construction is common.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
Copper theft is an ongoing problem, but the price of copper in bulk has fallen by almost 50% since the peak in early 2011.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
My kid's Preschool got hit two weeks ago on Old Apex just past Laura Duncan. That strip there...The preschool, the hair dresser next to it, and a few on the next section.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:48 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
and, a church in F-V:

Thieves target AC units at Fuquay Varina church :: WRAL.com

Old 09-20-2015, 07:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I would suggest putting good locks on your crawl space door. Also, put a lock on each of your power unit boxes that is right behind your outside A/C units. Thieves usually do not want to cut power lines that are live, and always want to turn off the breaker switch first before stealing. Some motion sensor lights over your A/C units will help too. The refrigerant and line repair was over $400. A stolen A/C unit each would be over $2000 I'm guessing!

There is a power disconnect right next to the outside unit so there's no reason to cut live wires. Second, I don't have a clue as to why a thief would go under the house to "poke holes" in the lines (I guess if they were intelligent they wouldn't be thieves.) A person can simply unscrew the schrader valve in the charge port if they wanted the freon to leak out slowly without noise. Or they could simply cut the line to allow they freon to escape in 10 seconds and within 30 seconds be gone with the entire unit.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,738,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There is a power disconnect right next to the outside unit so there's no reason to cut live wires. Second, I don't have a clue as to why a thief would go under the house to "poke holes" in the lines (I guess if they were intelligent they wouldn't be thieves.) A person can simply unscrew the schrader valve in the charge port if they wanted the freon to leak out slowly without noise. Or they could simply cut the line to allow they freon to escape in 10 seconds and within 30 seconds be gone with the entire unit.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Putting a lock on the power disconnect box right outside the unit to deter a thief. This is separate from the breaker switch that might be located in your garage, basement, etc. If it's too much trouble to get INTO the power disconnect box outside, they have to cut the live wire and will just leave.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
I welcome those thieves to visit us out here in the unincorporated areas, where everyone's armed to the teeth. Hell of it is, we're liberals.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I welcome those thieves to visit us out here in the unincorporated areas, where everyone's armed to the teeth. Hell of it is, we're liberals.
You would wind up in jail shooting someone outside your house stealing an AC unit. You cannot protect property in NC with deadly force.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You would wind up in jail shooting someone outside your house stealing an AC unit. You cannot protect property in NC with deadly force.
That is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary