Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 PM

20 posts, read 24,968 times

Advertisements

I did go check out Durham, where I was born many years ago. My sense was that they do have a mission; they're building downtown; and new housing downtown sells before the ground has been broken on the project. (I sense that they are developing their town much more intelligently than builder-run Wilmington.)

However, much as I wanted to like the area, I hated the traffic on the big highways around Raleigh/Chapel Hill, and I didn't much love the traffic on the side roads, either. Durham just didn't resonate with me, as much as I wanted it to. The buses were a pleasure, but there was no housing that appealed to me, and, um, well, there's Duke. And then there's Duke. They have a great little art museum with a huge endowment, but it's just one tiny museum. And I visited their NPR offices and found that to be stimulating.

It was great to see Chucho Valdez, but not worth it to me to move there for maybe one Latin jazz concert per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieNYC View Post
I did go check out Durham, where I was born many years ago. My sense was that they do have a mission; they're building downtown; and new housing downtown sells before the ground has been broken on the project. (I sense that they are developing their town much more intelligently than builder-run Wilmington.)

However, much as I wanted to like the area, I hated the traffic on the big highways around Raleigh/Chapel Hill, and I didn't much love the traffic on the side roads, either. Durham just didn't resonate with me, as much as I wanted it to. The buses were a pleasure, but there was no housing that appealed to me, and, um, well, there's Duke. And then there's Duke. They have a great little art museum with a huge endowment, but it's just one tiny museum. And I visited their NPR offices and found that to be stimulating.

It was great to see Chucho Valdez, but not worth it to me to move there for maybe one Latin jazz concert per year.
If you do not like the traffic in Durham then I wish you luck with the traffic in NYC! At least you came and saw Durham for yourself.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:54 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
You live in NYC but are afraid of traffic in Durham?

Move on, OP. The Triangle is clearly not for you. 1.8 million people live here and it's very car-centric - traffic will happen. Still nothing on the scale of NYC though. You ought to stay in NYC, your desires will leave you disappointed anywhere else - including Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, and certainly Raleigh or Durham.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Nowhere in NC is really the place if you want to walk everywhere/take public transit. OP, it sounds like you are searching for something that does not exist. Well, it does, in Manhattan. What the Triangle does have, is walkable neighborhoods...but you'll still need a car.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 PM

333 posts, read 287,362 times
Wow, Jamie NYC, I was with you and rooting for you to like it here until you mentioned that you found the traffic here not to your liking!

I moved here from Bergen County NJ where I commuted daily on the FDR...and while I drive longer distances here, it's nothing like NY. The roads are pretty, lights well timed, drivers more courteous...

Also, as a single retiree I have found this a fabulous place. Lots of interesting people who have had terrific careers and who continue to be involved politically, who continue to develop intellectually, and are involved in the arts. Just pick the right area to live in...Carrboro, Pittsboro, Fearrington all come to mind.

But you would, for sure, need to drive to get around.

Most important thing is to find a place that draws you in. You mentioned Santa Fe; I almost wound up there but am now delighted to be here. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I love both dT Raleigh and Durham, but don't feel like is Durham
is quite as good for retirees. If you were 20 something, I'd say DT Durham. retiree age I'd do raleigh.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM

61 posts, read 121,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieNYC View Post
After realizing I could no longer afford Manhattan (due to aging out of my insane job), I moved to Wilmington to be closer to family. Threw myself into meetup.com and UNCW OLLI, met lots of people, but keep going back to Manhattan every chance I get.

What I miss most:

Good music (ie, jazz and Latin jazz)
Being able to walk everywhere, or take public transportation
Being surrounded by people (I moved to the suburbs -- HUGE mistake -- tomb-quiet here.)
Availability of intellectually-stimulating courses for older folks
Availability of single retirees with whom to hang
Being able to fly NONSTOP somewhere, instead of hopping, skipping, jumping...

And I'd like a fireplace and a front porch.

Is there anywhere in the Triangle that comes close? I am particularly interested in Duke and surrounding area, although when reading materials published by City of Durham, well, it seems like just more conservative, Southern, NOT-New Yorkness. So to speak.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!
There is no substitute for NYC. I'm originally from the NYC area and now live in the northern suburbs of Raleigh. My neighbors are the opposite in every way from people I've known in NY (conservative, republican, religious). If you want NY perhaps FL where more NYers live would be a better fit or Cary where I've heard there are loads of northerners.

There is a program at the university in Raleigh that caters to an older crowd with classes during the day. You can fly nonstop to London, NY and even Paris soon.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Nowhere in NC is really the place if you want to walk everywhere/take public transit. OP, it sounds like you are searching for something that does not exist. Well, it does, in Manhattan. What the Triangle does have, is walkable neighborhoods...but you'll still need a car.
Right, that's what I think it is. The area, particularly Durham and I think areas near downtown Raleigh, definitely have things that would be more to the OP's liking than Wilmington does. But not enough of it and you really do need a car to experience even half of it.

That said - I too cannot stand the 15/501 traffic!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 PM

26 posts, read 46,556 times
Sorry OP, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're not finding New York anytime soon in NC.

I'm from NYC moved to NC and had to move back to NYC for a few months for education. Lucky me I have family here so free rent! But take family and education aside, absolutely wishing I am in NC right now. I even live in RURAL NC an hour away from Raleigh, and can say I love it. I even drive the hundreds of miles every weekend to go home to NC. Good thing my car is very fuel efficient.

Maybe move to California? I've never been there, but they say you'll still need a car everywhere if you are not willing to pay the equally humongous city rent.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopetite View Post
Sorry OP, I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're not finding New York anytime soon in NC.

I'm from NYC moved to NC and had to move back to NYC for a few months for education. Lucky me I have family here so free rent! But take family and education aside, absolutely wishing I am in NC right now. I even live in RURAL NC an hour away from Raleigh, and can say I love it. I even drive the hundreds of miles every weekend to go home to NC. Good thing my car is very fuel efficient.

Maybe move to California? I've never been there, but they say you'll still need a car everywhere if you are not willing to pay the equally humongous city rent.
If the OP didn’t like traffic in NC there is no way she will want to deal with California traffic, especially around the more popular cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary