Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,682,795 times

Advertisements

The GSK thing is overstated. I'm on the RDU-London nonstop 15 times a year. It's been a long long time since I've sat next to anybody from GSK on those flights. I believe the revenue guarantee (not a subsidy) comes from the Research Triangle Regional Partnership, not directly from GSK. I'm sure that GSK has a contract with AA for reduced fares in exchange for a certain level of business, but IBM and Lenovo and Cisco etc can get a similar deal.

That said, most of the time AA operates a 767 on the flight which is no longer leading-edge in terms of fuel consumed per passenger across the pond. As long as fuel prices remain low, AA can tolerate it. But if fuel prices go back up, the 767 becomes less attractive to operate and then it's a matter of whether AA puts one of the new 787s on the route or just punts. Except in summer, there is not enough traffic RDU-London to justify the more fuel-efficient 777. Or, AA could do what DL is doing and downgrade to the 757.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM

9,140 posts, read 14,711,609 times
Interesting, we flew the AA flight to London at the end of May and returned in June. We flew the 767 out but it was going into maintenance a couple days later for an entire cabin refit, so we flew the 777 back. The flight attendant was saying that there was some talk of them keeping the 777 on the route becaue of issues getting the new seats for a 767 and it was borderline already. Who knows if she was making it up and might have been wishful thinking on her part as it was much nicer and bigger, but I checked and there was some big backlog with 767 seats.

We also saw a passenger get taken off by security as we were about to leave after one male FA got into it with her over storing bags in the overhead and as she was walking evidently she bumped him. I could not see the actual bump but he freaked out and said she did it intentionally right near us. Was pretty crazy and made us about a hour late leaving.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM

11,207 posts, read 8,259,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Prior to the intro of the 747, everyone flew a narrowbody 707 or DC8 across the pond and passengers thought nothing of it.
Prior to the 747, airlines hadn't crammed another 10 rows of seats into a plane, narrow-body or otherwise. Back then, flying was much more glamorous now. A six or eight our flight on a 757 in coach would be pure hell. (I've done 15 hours on the coach floor of an A380 and it was no picnic.)

Old 09-24-2015, 01:16 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,735,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Having to stop in Maine would suck.

Not as much as running out of fuel over the Atlantic.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM

9,140 posts, read 14,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Hey-o!

Old 09-24-2015, 01:29 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,421,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Pfft. If the Gimli Glider could make it halfway across Canada...

Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,682,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Prior to the 747, airlines hadn't crammed another 10 rows of seats into a plane, narrow-body or otherwise. Back then, flying was much more glamorous now. A six or eight our flight on a 757 in coach would be pure hell.
Yeah, they have reduced legroom a lot but the sideways room hasn't changed (except for 10-abreast in a 777 or 9-abreast in a 787, each a travesty). I've done many transatlantics on a 757 and survived. DL passengers to CDG will survive too. There just isn't enough traffic RDU-CDG for DL to gamble on a larger aircraft, at least not at the outset. Take the 757 or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Pfft. If the Gimli Glider could make it halfway across Canada...
Kidding aside, the glide ratio of a no-fuel 767 is maybe as high as 20:1... gives you about 100 miles max if you start at typical cruise altitude.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,372,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Probably not. It's always been my understanding that GSK subsidizes that route and as long as they keep subsidizing it it's in no danger.
The loads are quite heavy, coach and first are full often.

So I doubt it's being subsidized.

Last edited by wheelsup; 09-24-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,372,460 times
Quote:
The GSK thing is overstated. I'm on the RDU-London nonstop 15 times a year. It's been a long long time since I've sat next to anybody from GSK on those flights. I believe the revenue guarantee (not a subsidy) comes from the Research Triangle Regional Partnership, not directly from GSK. I'm sure that GSK has a contract with AA for reduced fares in exchange for a certain level of business, but IBM and Lenovo and Cisco etc can get a similar deal.

That said, most of the time AA operates a 767 on the flight which is no longer leading-edge in terms of fuel consumed per passenger across the pond. As long as fuel prices remain low, AA can tolerate it. But if fuel prices go back up, the 767 becomes less attractive to operate and then it's a matter of whether AA puts one of the new 787s on the route or just punts. Except in summer, there is not enough traffic RDU-London to justify the more fuel-efficient 777. Or, AA could do what DL is doing and downgrade to the 757.
A321 is starting to take over the 75 routes, same amount of pax (relatively) and roughly 75% of the fuel burn. We are still keeping them for our S. America flying though with all the terrain down there.

Yes, the 321 is a pig... but the cabin is nice. More room than the Boeing. IMO it's a better product overall from a narrowbody perspective.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 2,562,280 times
Quote:
Yeah, they have reduced legroom a lot but the sideways room hasn't changed (except for 10-abreast in a 777 or 9-abreast in a 787, each a travesty). I've done many transatlantics on a 757 and survived. DL passengers to CDG will survive too.
"Surviving" is setting a pretty low bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary