Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Nope give it a miss. Been visiting Paris for over 30 years. Over run by 'refugees'. Was there in the Summer reminded me of Morocco or Tunisia. Very very sad.
Most international cities have a very diverse make up. To each their own, but I love the diversity it brings to a city. Love going to DC, or NYC, or Dubai, or whereever... Admittedly, never been to Paris, but I guess it's pespective.

If a place being over-run by people of may cultures is "sad" to you, why not just save a lot of money and travel to Greenbsoro, or Smithfield, or something like that? Part snark, part serious question (why spend a lot of time and money to travel to a place that makes you sad?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 AM

251 posts, read 273,760 times
The indigenous people of the Americas could say the very exact same thing to you. "Over run by 'refugees'..very very sad, *from the few tribes that are represented today.*

Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM

613 posts, read 746,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
You know they've been there since the sixties right? They are French and their homelands were ruled by the French.
You missed my point. It has changed in recent years. Especially the past 5. Ever watch the news?

Paris resident: 'We are not safe anymore' :: WRAL.com

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Of course they're not safe! That's what happens when an entire nation is disarmed.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:22 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Of course they're not safe! That's what happens when an entire nation is disarmed.
Really? I lived in France for several years, and can honestly say that I have never lived anywhere safer (except perhaps Sweden). Certainly not in the US. [Insert Gallic shrug].

Back to the topic at hand, I am pleased that there will be another option for a direct to Europe flight from RDU!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:27 AM

265 posts, read 269,925 times
Getting back to the topic. This flight is awesome if travelling to Europe on business where the company picks up the tab. But travelling for pleasure, its hard to justify spending $1350 for a flight when you can get there with two connections for $750-$800 (13-14 hour total trip is doable for this price if your diligent in the searches), one stop for $950-$1000. I agree about worrying about connections though. Does $550 per person justify not having to worry about losing connections? Is it worth the 6 hours you save in total trip time? For me personally, no. And when you run the numbers of percentage of trip costs that the initial plane to europe costs, its harder to justify (moreso if your traveling with the wife and/or family).

Ive been tracking these direct London flights from RDU and they rarely seem to fall below $1250, and most of the time they are over $1300. If you try through American’s website, it’s never less than $1369. How much have you guys been paying for these direct flights? I assume Delta will treat the Paris flight similarly in terms of pricing.

Recently I have been doing the 2 connections since those low budget Scandavian airlines have been marketing their stopovers. And I haven’t had a problem so far. The other best option from RDU seems to go through Air Canada with only 1 layover in Toronto.

What I pray for is that Iceland Air, Norwegian, or WOW starts flying out of more places in the US. But I don’t think that will ever happen in Raleigh.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Here's the thing on direct v connect, especially international where the number of flights going to a connection is many times the number that leaves for the final destination. If you are on the one flight per day that goes to that destination, short of some tremendous issues, you are going to go. You might be late, but you will fly and you will arrive at your desired destination, almost certainly in time to not screw things up too badly.

If you are one of 40 planes landing at the northern airports (or many other airports) no one is going to much care if you get there in time to make your connection, which probably has far fewer flights per day. Especially if there are multiple flights from your origination to the connection airport. It's easy enough for them to cancel a flight due to weather and push them all back or spread the passengers out on the next few flights. For many people that's fine, but for you not so much as you might have to go on standby for the next day's flight and hope it works out.

Earlier in the year we went with another couple to London and this exact scenario played out. They were leaving from another city without a direct flight, but could have driven here in about 2 hours to take the direct with us. They chose to connect through Newark and weather cancelled a ton of flights. They had to end up spending about 2 hours on the phone and In person with gate agents, thought they would miss an entire day and finally got some crazy connection at the last minute through Dulles and Philly and we're just 6 hours late.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM

613 posts, read 746,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Getting back to the topic. This flight is awesome if travelling to Europe on business where the company picks up the tab. But travelling for pleasure, its hard to justify spending $1350 for a flight when you can get there with two connections for $750-$800 (13-14 hour total trip is doable for this price if your diligent in the searches), one stop for $950-$1000. I agree about worrying about connections though. Does $550 per person justify not having to worry about losing connections? Is it worth the 6 hours you save in total trip time? For me personally, no. And when you run the numbers of percentage of trip costs that the initial plane to europe costs, its harder to justify (moreso if your traveling with the wife and/or family).

Ive been tracking these direct London flights from RDU and they rarely seem to fall below $1250, and most of the time they are over $1300. If you try through American’s website, it’s never less than $1369. How much have you guys been paying for these direct flights? I assume Delta will treat the Paris flight similarly in terms of pricing.

Recently I have been doing the 2 connections since those low budget Scandavian airlines have been marketing their stopovers. And I haven’t had a problem so far. The other best option from RDU seems to go through Air Canada with only 1 layover in Toronto.

What I pray for is that Iceland Air, Norwegian, or WOW starts flying out of more places in the US. But I don’t think that will ever happen in Raleigh.
So which US city do you usually fly from RDU to to get your international flight?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Here's the thing on direct v connect, especially international where the number of flights going to a connection is many times the number that leaves for the final destination. If you are on the one flight per day that goes to that destination, short of some tremendous issues, you are going to go. You might be late, but you will fly and you will arrive at your desired destination, almost certainly in time to not screw things up too badly.

If you are one of 40 planes landing at the northern airports (or many other airports) no one is going to much care if you get there in time to make your connection, which probably has far fewer flights per day. Especially if there are multiple flights from your origination to the connection airport. It's easy enough for them to cancel a flight due to weather and push them all back or spread the passengers out on the next few flights. For many people that's fine, but for you not so much as you might have to go on standby for the next day's flight and hope it works out.

Earlier in the year we went with another couple to London and this exact scenario played out. They were leaving from another city without a direct flight, but could have driven here in about 2 hours to take the direct with us. They chose to connect through Newark and weather cancelled a ton of flights. They had to end up spending about 2 hours on the phone and In person with gate agents, thought they would miss an entire day and finally got some crazy connection at the last minute through Dulles and Philly and we're just 6 hours late.

Definitely true. I've been pushing my luck with Europe and South American flights for years and never got burned. Of course I'm due to get burned next time . But for me and wife, still being young($), and traveling for pleasure a lot, those huge price differences matter a lot to us. For others, the higher prices are worth it for various reasons. I'd love to see the percentages of personal(vacations) travel flyers that are taking up these direct RDU to Europe flights.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
So which US city do you usually fly from RDU to to get your international flight?
The most options and cheapest prices are from JFK and Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary