Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 AM

43,259 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Friends have a son who is interested in starting crossfit. Wondering about what are the best run crossfit gyms in Raleigh-Cary-Garner.
They think he will do best with a combination of support and encouragement and some competition.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,321 times
There are a ton of them. If you want to go to Capital and 540, I highly recommend Crossfit XChange.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Friends have a son who is interested in starting crossfit. Wondering about what are the best run crossfit gyms in Raleigh-Cary-Garner.
They think he will do best with a combination of support and encouragement and some competition.

Suggestions?
I like Raleigh Crossfit, which is in downtown Raleigh, and where I go, and is one of the older and more established in the area. There is a good mix of all levels there, though I would say that it is more young people than older, and different levels of athletes, from people that train specifically for competitions to folks that are more recreational. I know the owner of 12th State Crossfit in Midtown and have a high opinion of him and his operation. Crossfit RDU on Glenwood & Millbrook has a good reputation as well, a friend who goes there really likes it, and they have a huge facility. Crossfit Invoke, just south of DT is famous for having Christmas Abbott, and they have a lot of high level athletes, but I can't speak to the client experience there. I really haven't heard much at all (good or bad) about the ones in Cary.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:13 PM

61 posts, read 67,844 times
LOVE Iron Tribe
One in Raleigh and another in Cary
Message me for more info

Old 09-24-2015, 05:46 PM

563 posts, read 955,043 times
Does your friend's son have a firm grounding in the basics of weight lifting? Learning the basics from the long-term perspective of physical health versus trying out exercise that is in-vogue.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:48 PM

43,259 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Does your friend's son have a firm grounding in the basics of weight lifting? Learning the basics from the long-term perspective of physical health versus trying out exercise that is in-vogue.
Fair question. I dunno.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,319 times
Quote:
Excellent point. Some of the form I've seen with Crossfit is pretty horrendous. An orthopedic surgeon I know said he sees more injuries from Crossfit than anything else.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
To that end, make sure that wherever he goes the coaches have more than a CF Level One. Look for places that have coaches with USAW certifications, etc...

Old 09-25-2015, 02:01 AM

61 posts, read 67,844 times
Iron Tribe has you go through a month-long one 101 which you have to complete before you can begin classes. You have 2 trainers making sure you are doing movements correctly, etc
Once you get into the regular classes you have 2 trainers in each class. We have Bring A Friend day to try out!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:25 AM

29 posts, read 34,191 times
Oak City CrossFit in Raleigh, they are one of the original CrossFit boxes in town and by far one of the best! They keep their classes small, the coaches are qualified and trained beyond their L1 and they understand the Average Joe to the Elite Athlete! (sorry I'm a little partial this is my CrossFit home)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary