Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
ROW ROW started this thread

21 posts, read 60,333 times

Advertisements

As stated in heading, I move this Thursday to Durham...I had to renew my registration and inspection in NY before the 31st...which I did...my question is how long do I have to register my car in NC...Right now my insurance is paid until May...Should I register my car as soon as I get there or should I wait for its time to renew my insurance again? Not really sure what to do...any advice would be helpful...thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,116 times
You are required to register your car in NC within 60 days after establishing residency. The kicker is that you first need to obtain a NC drivers lic before you can register your car. Even with an out of state lic you need to take the written test, signs rec and eye test to get your NC lic (I passed the first time, 100% score).

However, they dont check up on this (the 60 days time frame). When I went they asked if I have lived here for more than 12m. You might have some explaining to do if you get pulled over though. We did it within 60 days to get it over and done with.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Actually, I think it's 30 days. NC DMV says it depends on the reciprocity agreement between NC and the state of prior registration but that it is generally 30 days. Plan on it costing around $200. I agree that I wouldn't fret if it doesn't get done in 30 days.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW View Post
As stated in heading, I move this Thursday to Durham...I had to renew my registration and inspection in NY before the 31st...which I did...my question is how long do I have to register my car in NC...Right now my insurance is paid until May...Should I register my car as soon as I get there or should I wait for its time to renew my insurance again? Not really sure what to do...any advice would be helpful...thanks in advance
Just don't get a NC license till you are close to registering the car and nobody will be any wiser.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW View Post

I don't know your situation or insurance costs, but when I moved here from a short stint in Long Island my NC insurance was actually lower than my NY isurance rate. If that is the case for you too that might be some motivation to get your car registered and insured in NC sooner rather than later. My insurance company credited me back the difference in the rates.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
You can actually get a NC ID card and can then register a car. You do not need the NC drivers license if you have the ID card. This they told me at the licensing office when I inquired in person.

You'll need 2 forms of identification - SS card and birth certificate or one of the others listed in the manual.

You'll still need to get your drivers license, but at that point your NC ID card counts as one of your forms of identification.

I agree with North_Raleigh_Guy about registering sooner rather than later.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,402 times
My insurance went up $100 every 6 months moving from Bethesda Md (suburban Wash DC) to North Raleigh (Bedford). I was very surprised. I think part of the reason is that NC has some extra insurance requirements. I don't remember exactly, one of them was underinsured drivers.
Oh Well

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I believe it's 30 days to register. I would recommend taking the test when you first get to North Carolina as it's fairly painless. Be sure to study though (click here) because some of the questions are quirky to say the least.

As for insurance mine was more then halved by moving from Long Island to Raleigh so you should check into that. I believe they'll refund the difference in premiums if you either cancel out of your current policy or update it.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
I was able to get my NC insurance before I registered my car. I actually had it effective the day we moved here because it was cheaper than our Florida policy. I think Geico gave me a grace period to get the car registered, but I don't exactly remember.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,402 times
I also notified Geico before I moved the car. The told me I needed to register in 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary