Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

Despite my handle name on this forum, there is still a lot about "North Raleigh" that I am not clear on. I remeber a recent comment on this board that said if you were residing east of Capital Blvd. that you were not considered to be in Norht Raleigh. That got me to thinking. What are the boundaries of North Raleigh? I realize it is only in name, but it is something I have never been clear on. How far north can you be above Route 98 and still be considered in Northern Raleigh? How far west and east? I guess Glenwood Avenue marks the wesern side of North Raleigh but what about to the east? I was wondering how the realators on this board define the "North Raleigh Area"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 05:21 PM

137 posts, read 607,193 times
ABOVE 98? Wow... I guess I just personally figured "north Raleigh" extended virtually to maybe Falls Lake (and then up to 98 west of that), and then beyond that I've always referred to it at northern Wake (County) in my own head. I thought the fictional eastern boundary was Capital Blvd... but I agree, the realtors likely are a lot more focused on what they define "North Raleigh" as. I'm curious about this as well.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:55 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I figure if you have a Raleigh address and you are North of Buffalo Road, the Beltline, and Glenwood avenue, you are pretty much in North Raleigh.

Pretty broad definition, isn't it?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Having lived in North Raleigh for the last 20 years, I can tell you that what most consider "North Raleigh" would be from the area around the airport (Glenwood Avenue) and up to Capital Blvd. There is an imaginary line that says once you cross Capital, you are no longer in North Raleigh.

You'll notice that the zip codes of 27613 and 27615 tend to be pretty pricey. I'd say 27609 and 27612 are pretty high, as well.

It used to be that most of the neighborhoods across Capital were more run down and the schools in that area had pretty low scores. Things are changing. More neighborhoods are being built over that area and scores are getting better. The area, in general, is better and I have sold homes over there.

As more and more expensive neighborhoods are built over that way, things will just get better!

Vicki

Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
I still wouldn't live on the east side of Capital Blvd. Too many trailer parks in that area.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Right or wrong, this is how Wikipedia defines North Raleigh:

North Raleigh ("outside the beltline") is a large area containing several large and established neighborhoods, as well as quickly developing rural areas. Recently, the area that is considered true North Raleigh begins near the corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads and is bounded by Capital Boulevard (U.S. 1) to the east and Falls Lake to the north.

Neighborhoods and communities in North Raleigh include:

Alyson Pond
Ashley Ridge
Bent Tree
Berkshire Downs
Brentwood
Brookhaven
Crossgate
Dalton's Ridge
Durant Trails
Falls Village
Farrior Hills
Forrest Ridge
Greystone
Lakepark
Leesville
Hickory Hills
Hidden Valley
Inman Park
Millbrook
North Hills
North Ridge
Norwood Crest
Pinecrest
Quail Hollow
Smoke Tree
Steeplechase
Stonebridge
Stonehenge
Stone Creek
Wakefield (2,200 acres of various communities)
Westlake
Wood Valley

Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Thanks for your replies everyone! I must say when I was looking for a house I found myself constantly dissapointed by the homes for sale east of Capital. They usually looked great in their online picutres but once I went to actually chakc out the neighborhood I always found the area to be run down or right under a huge powerline! I think that there are some pockets of nice neighborhoods, but I think you really need to do your research before planning to buy over there. Besides, who wants to have to deal with Capital Blvd. Traffic everyday anyway?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Well, obviously North Raleigh starts at the beltline, like North Hills area upwards, but I don't think I'd call stuff above 98 as North Raleigh, but as "North Wake County". I don't think any city limits go up that far but Raleigh addresses/zip codes may?
Much of the Glenwood Corridor above Crabtree, including Duraleigh, I've always called "Northwest" Raleigh...and I guess that stretches up to the Briar Creek Megasprawl Complex now.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
I think there are 3 North Raleigh's there is North West Raleigh( Leesville Rd. and points west to Brier Creek, Then North Raleigh From Leesville, Sixforks, Falls of Neuse, Then North East Raleigh Falls of Neuse to Buffaloe Rd. Area)

There are some great neighborhoods in all of these areas. But much of North Raleigh is built up, and borders the Falls Lake and watershed so development is limited and Pricey. Brier Creek is nice also and very central and close to the airport, also pricey. For now North East raleigh, adjoining Wake Forest and Rolesville are still a good buy, but after 540 opens in a month or two all bets are off and prices will shoot up here also. Harris Teeter is building at Forestville and Louisburg + Wake Tech North ,so you know there is some money moving into the area.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for your replies everyone! I must say when I was looking for a house I found myself constantly dissapointed by the homes for sale east of Capital. They usually looked great in their online picutres but once I went to actually chakc out the neighborhood I always found the area to be run down or right under a huge powerline! I think that there are some pockets of nice neighborhoods, but I think you really need to do your research before planning to buy over there. Besides, who wants to have to deal with Capital Blvd. Traffic everyday anyway?
That exactly had happened to me while living in FL! Who would've want to live in a nice fancy home UNDER a huge powerline???? Same thing as railroad track and crackhouses!

Glad that I'm living in a nice, quiet home at Johnston County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary