Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 18,902 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Posted this in the wrong section before, so reposting in the RTP forum.

I'm looking to purchase a home/town home/apartment in the area within the next 4-5 months. I'm 23 years old, and obviously a first time buyer. While I have lived in NC in the past, it was for school, therefore I don't know the area extremely well. I currently live out of state, and will likely not be moving to NC for another year or two. I have a rent-free situation right now, hence the funds I can put towards a home. I also have family in NC that would be able to take care of the place for me while I am out of state.

I was hoping to get some recommendations regarding areas I should be looking at. I am able to put around $35,000 down, and likely a little more if I find a place I really, really like! Given the $35K down, I assume the max I should be looking at in terms of price is around $175,000?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:26 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel01 View Post
I was hoping to get some recommendations regarding areas I should be looking at. I am able to put around $35,000 down, and likely a little more if I find a place I really, really like! Given the $35K down, I assume the max I should be looking at in terms of price is around $175,000.
In the other thread, you said you wanted a place less than 10 years old. Given those criteria, Garner is one of the few places in Wake County where you can find a new single family home at that price. The schools are average.

Johnston County and Harnett County are other possibilities. Townhomes are available in that price range in Cary, Apex and parts of Raleigh. Northwest Raleigh has some better-than-average schools.

However, I'm not sure why you are doing anything but "window-shopping" until you figure out where you would be working.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In the other thread, you said you wanted a place less than 10 years old. Given those criteria, Garner is one of the few places in Wake County where you can find a new single family home at that price. The schools are average.

Johnston County and Harnett County are other possibilities. Townhomes are available in that price range in Cary, Apex and parts of Raleigh. Northwest Raleigh has some better-than-average schools.

However, I'm not sure why you are doing anything but "window-shopping" until you figure out where you would be working.
Thank you for the information! And fair point. Until I actually move into the place (whenever that may be), I would likely be renting the place out through a property management company. Where I currently reside is only temporary and hence I figured I would buy a place in NC since I will be moving back there eventually.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

This! Buying a house before you move somewhere is not a good plan. Many things can happen. You may not even make the move. You may wind up elsewhere. You may land a job an hour from the house.

You are very young. My advice is to slow down and do things in their proper order.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:32 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
My info might be out of date, but I think you usually need to put 30% down for a home if you are not going to live in it. Check that out first.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I agree with the others that the downside risks of buying today outweigh the potential benefit of lower price (not more than 5-7% a year) and higher interest rate (a 1% rise these days is about 10% purchasing power).

Your first discussion would need to be with a mortgage lender, to see whether they'd make the loan at all, and as noted, what % down payment they'd require.

You are to be highly-commended for the amount you've saved at such a young age. Keep making informed decisions!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! Shortly put, I definitely am rushing it. Going to continue to save and not rush, so I can put a larger down payment. In the meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes out on the market in the RTP area (as I'm 99% sure this is where I want to live).

Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 AM

528 posts, read 935,342 times
Hi TarHeel01,

If you are somewhat unfamiliar with the area, I think renting a place prior to buying is a great idea, so long as other factors (hard to predict) don't change your buying capability - home prices, mortgage rates. I think you never really know a a place until you live it and you could make some bad assumptions on commute time, amenities, and the overall vibe of the area you choose (for example, you may buy in one area but find the area you really like to hang out in is another).

However it turns out, best of luck. It's exciting to be taking that first step!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary