Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Our family is relocating to Raleigh from Dallas. We have two children in first and fourth grades. We are interested in a family-friendly ITB neighborhood where kids run around between houses, the neighbors are fun, and there are good public school options (though we are considering private as well). My husband and I are in our mid-40s. Our housing budget is $1M give or take. We currently live in central Dallas where we can walk to Starbucks, restaurants, the small grocery store and shopping. Would love some insight on ITB and/or North Raleigh neighborhoods that might fit the bill. We currently live in a renovated 1931 Tudor with a small lot, so we get the old neighborhood limitations, though we wouldn't mind a little more yard for our young lacrosse player. Would love your feedback! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
please make sure that you engage (or are assigned) to an ITB-experienced agent. Like many cities, ours is a unique submarket all to itself. Values/desirability can change in 2 blocks, and in some areas being next to an unkempt worn-down house mean vastly different things. There are desirable "busy" roads, and those you don't want to be stuck on.

For the right house, plan on spending $230-270/sqft, and you may or may not have a garage (or the ability to add one).

As to a general geographic area, you're most likely to be thinking 2 blocks north of Hillsborough running east west, Capital Blvd/Bus US1 on the east (depending on the map label assigned to it), and generally the 440 Beltline from the Hillsborough St intersection around clockwise to Capital Blvd. Or, in other words, if you think of it as a clock - from 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock.

In those areas, your children will attend: Olds, Lacy, Root, Joyner, Underwood, or Wiley Elementary. All are well-loved by those who attend. The last 3 are "magnet" schools, though changes are afoot. Middle school will be either Martin (also a magnet) or Daniels. High school will be Broughton.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:37 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Cameron Village area or 5 points with that budget.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
With ITB teardowns going for $450,000---$600,000 and the lots being subdivided for two $1 million homes to be built, getting the lot size for a bit of lacrosse may be an interesting proposition.
The willingness to consider older construction is helpful, though.

Walkability in N Raleigh will be infill or teardown, but it is easier to find larger lots.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I live in the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood, across Glenwood from Fred Fletcher. There are a good amount of kids playing outside, playing street hockey and basketball, etc...I don't know how the yards are for lacrosse, but there are kids playing outside. Housing would actually be a little bit less than your budget, with most nicer larger homes going for 500k-750K.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 AM

369 posts, read 460,243 times
Check out the Hayes Barton neighborhood and Five Points. Also the houses off Anderson Road might be a good fit for your family.

Do you have a realtor yet? I'll send you a DM with a recommendation. He knows that area very well and lives in five points.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM

53 posts, read 67,429 times
TXTransplant,
Don't dismiss buying a fixer upper in ITB. We moved from AZ and purchased a 5200 sq ft home on almost 1 acre and gutted it. We can walk to North Hills and ride our bikes on the greenway from our yard. It is like a brand new house inside but with mature trees and character. We got it for a good price (for this neighborhood) and spent 7 months renovating.

Most of the children in this neighborhood go to St. David's, Ravenscroft and the Catholic schools. Very few go to Root Elem and Broughton HS. That's not to say that our zoned schools are bad. It is really just personal preference. I looked at 6 different schools (public and private) and ended up at one (private) that academically is great but socially is not the best fit. We are giving it 1 year and then will re-evaluate.

Most of my neighbors are native Raleigh but we have a few families who have moved from other places in the country (like ourselves). Everyone is extremely welcoming and there is no "snobbiness" that we are not native. After we moved in (this June), I had 5 different neighbors stop by with casseroles, flowers, and an invitation to a welcoming block party. One neighbor brought us dinner including plates & utensils the night we moved in bc she knew we would not even know where our dishes were in the wall of boxes

Our street is primarily older residents and families with high school aged kids which is great for getting sitters but not for playing outside, etc. There are a ton of kids that walk up to North Hills and just hang out (7th grade and up). I also see a lot of families on family bike rides (we do this a lot). In hindsight, I wish we would have known if there were more younger kids for mine to play with (mine are 7&9) but we loved the location and the amazing yard. Playdates will just have to be our norm for a few years or until we meet more people.

So it really depends on your street but like the previous poster, there are some really nice houses off of Anderson on the market and there are TONS of kids that run around and ring doorbells and ask to play. We looked in Hayes Barton, Five Points and Budleigh with a budget of $1.5 (all super cute areas) but it came down to finding the right house and yard. We have a great house and excellent location but as I said above, children are not running up to our door asking to play.

In hindsight, I think it comes down to where your children are in school. For instance, if you buy a house in the Lacy Elem district (and they get in bc it is capped), then your children will make friends at the bus stop, etc. Neighborhood schools tend to create more of that community atmosphere you are looking for. That said, the St. David's kids are up and down our street after school bc it is nearby.

Welcome to the area and feel free to DM me if I can help in anyway.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:38 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
In my experience the larger the house the less free range kids running between them. The parents I've met with children in private school are usually thoroughly adamant about their children playing with fellow classmates and not random kids on the block. The air of exclusivity doesn't end with just the address in some cases.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 10,577 times
If you want another option check out Traditions neighborhood. It is in Wake Forest so a little drive but the community is new and still being built. We moved here from Colorado and have found the neighbors to all be really fun and friendly. Just throwing it out there for you to check into as we searched many areas.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Please pardon my ignorance - what is ITB? In The Boonies? Google is of no help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary